Author Topic: Recommended Books?  (Read 179404 times)

Re: Recommended Books?
« Reply #495 on: September 24, 2019, 09:00:29 AM »

Offline Greenback

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 63
  • Take away love and the earth is a tomb. ~ Browning
The Bible

EDIT: All the rest of what you posted are all great quotes from great people regarding the Bible and God, but could easily spur debate that could put the subject into Current Events discussions. Since CE discussions should only occur on that board, it seemed right to edit out all the quotes.

Let's just say, a lot of important and famous people like the Bible and God.

With all due respect, none of the quotes were from living people and they were all recommending the Bible.  For the record, the people I quoted who read and recommended the Bible were:
Sir Isaac Newton, Joseph Parker, St Augustine, Goethe, Nikola Tesla, Muggeridge, Teddy Roosevelt, Charles Dickens, Peter Ackroyd, Helen Keller, Jeffrey Ramey, Horace Greeley, John Adams, Abe Lincoln, Thomas Jefferson, Patrick Henry, Immanuel Kant, Johann Brahms, Bernard Ramm, Mark Twain, Napoleon and George Washington.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 10:50:07 AM by Greenback »
Everyone wants truth on his side, not everyone wants to be on the side of truth.

« Reply #496 on: September 24, 2019, 10:27:15 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
The Broken Ladder by Keith Payne.  A fascinating examination of the effects of wealth inequality, through the two frames of scientific research and the author's personal experience growing up poor in rural Kentucky. The scientific stuff is very straightforward and readable which isn't always the case for this kind of book. Worth checking out.

« Reply #497 on: September 24, 2019, 10:45:27 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
It is one of best works of fiction I have ever read....

That is a pretty good recommendation, with all the other fiction out there.   Now, what if the Bible is true?
See what I mean?!?!?!

A comment solely on "The Bible" and your quotes are not there. And now you are spurring conversation about the veracity of the Bible which will spark debate not suited for this board.

WE WILL NOT DISCUSS THE BIBLE, IF IT IS TRUE OR RELIGION AS A WHOLE IN THIS THREAD!

« Reply #498 on: September 24, 2019, 06:08:54 PM »

Offline Greenback

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
Another Sort of Learning

by James V. Schall
Everyone wants truth on his side, not everyone wants to be on the side of truth.

« Reply #499 on: September 24, 2019, 06:14:10 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
I couldn't find it looking back, but I think I recommended "The Nix" by Nathan Hill some time ago.  I thought it was brilliant.

Wondering if anyone took the recommendation and read it.  If so, what did you think?

« Reply #500 on: September 24, 2019, 07:48:12 PM »

Offline Greenback

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
Ideas have Consequences

by Richard M Weaver
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 07:55:12 PM by Greenback »

« Reply #501 on: September 24, 2019, 08:49:26 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
It is one of best works of fiction I have ever read....

That is a pretty good recommendation, with all the other fiction out there.   Now, what if the Bible is true?
See what I mean?!?!?!

A comment solely on "The Bible" and your quotes are not there. And now you are spurring conversation about the veracity of the Bible which will spark debate not suited for this board.

WE WILL NOT DISCUSS THE BIBLE, IF IT IS TRUE OR RELIGION AS A WHOLE IN THIS THREAD!

good job of monitoring a tough discussion nick. and if you want me to swear to that on a stack of bibles i would be happy to.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #502 on: September 24, 2019, 09:59:33 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Just finished 'We', by Yevgeny Zamyatin. Really good dystopian novel written a few years after the Bolshevik Revolution in Russia.

One of the original satirical dystopian novels, from what I can tell. One of Orwell's favourites!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #503 on: September 24, 2019, 11:04:46 PM »

Offline Greenback

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
Just finished 'We', by Yevgeny Zamyatin. Really good dystopian novel written a few years after the Bolshevik Revolution in Russia.

One of the original satirical dystopian novels, from what I can tell. One of Orwell's favourites!

I have read 1984 and Brave New World.  I have to be careful here, because I am banned in almost every corner of the forums. Please don’t ban me Nick.
Do you think that the cataclysm that preceded the perfectly planned society by the world government, and by continuing the fear of the apocalypse, was used as justification for the tyranny?   

« Reply #504 on: September 25, 2019, 11:38:11 AM »

Offline Greenback

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
Imperium

by Francis P. Yockey

When you read 50 to 100 books a year for 50 years, there are alot of choices...

« Reply #505 on: September 25, 2019, 12:29:56 PM »

Offline Jon Niednagel

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
Sorry if others have already mentioned these. Only looked back a couple pages.

The Coddling of the American Mind: How Good Intentions and Bad Ideas Are Setting Up a Generation for Failure

by Greg Lukianoff and Jonathan Haidt

Also,

How to Have Impossible Conversations: A Very Practical Guide

by Peter Boghossian and James Lindsay
“Being a Celtic is, every decision you make is about the team. Every cut you make is about the team. Every pass you make is about the team. You take yourself out of it. It’s not for everyone. If you don’t want to win, don’t want to play team basketball, and it’s more about you then you’re probably not a Celtic." Doc 2010

« Reply #506 on: September 25, 2019, 12:38:45 PM »

Offline Greenback

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
Sorry if others have already mentioned these. Only looked back a couple pages.

The Coddling of the American Mind: How Good Intentions and Bad Ideas Are Setting Up a Generation for Failure

by Greg Lukianoff and Jonathan Haidt

Also,

How to Have Impossible Conversations: A Very Practical Guide

by Peter Boghossian and James Lindsay

Thank you Jon.  You made me laugh.  I ordered both books on Amazon.

« Reply #507 on: September 25, 2019, 12:54:32 PM »

Offline Jon Niednagel

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
Happy reading!
“Being a Celtic is, every decision you make is about the team. Every cut you make is about the team. Every pass you make is about the team. You take yourself out of it. It’s not for everyone. If you don’t want to win, don’t want to play team basketball, and it’s more about you then you’re probably not a Celtic." Doc 2010

« Reply #508 on: September 23, 2022, 07:45:22 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
For the Stephen King fans, Fairy Tale is very good.  In my opinion, it takes a *long* time to get going -- maybe as many as 200 pages -- but once the "quest" starts its some of King's most page-turning stuff since Wizard and Glass.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #509 on: September 23, 2022, 08:03:35 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Currently reading "The Big East" by Dana O'Neil.  Obviously, growing up in Mass in the 80s-90s then going to a then Big East school in BC, I had super fond memories of the league in its original incarnation. Great read so far.

Before that, I read "Thunderstruck" by Erik Larson.  Same author as "Devil in the White City".  Great murder mystery that weaves parallel with Marconi and the rise of wireless technology in the early 1900s.  I'm a sucker for this type of non-fiction.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team