Author Topic: Hayward will have to leave bubble for birth of 4th child  (Read 22432 times)

Re: Hayward will have to leave bubble for birth of 4th child
« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2020, 03:54:33 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Its been reported by multiple sources that Hayward whose wife is due in Sept will be leaving the bubble for the birth of his 4th child.

Good news is that multiple sources including Keith Smith are reporting that the NBA will shorted the required quarantine for returning players depending on the circumstances.

Could set up a nice dramatic return game for Hayward deep into the Cs playoff run.

Do you know what the time frame is on players needing to sit out after returning to the bubble? Hayward's first two seasons here were pretty much a complete sunk cost to the Cs. He has obviously been more promising this one, but if he is going to miss the entire ECF because he is choosing to leave, then that will be pretty disappointing. If the Cs look like they have a real chance of going the distance, then Hayward should do everything he can to make himself available. It sounds crass (and I'm glad there are no longer negative TPs), but it is his 4th child. Robyn is doing this in her sleep at this point.

1st child or 4th child, it really shouldn't matter.   It's more important than a game.

Game? Here I thought it was his job that pays him MIILLIONS OF DOLLARS.

In the grand scheme of things, it really is.   Fathers leave their jobs all the time to go see their children being born.   Whether someone is unemployed, making minimum wage, or is a multimillionaire shouldn't matter.   I'm guessing the vast majority of people who are outraged over this hypothetical are doing it in their own self-interest of the laundry they root for.  Kids are born once, other games will be played.  And I'm not even a father yet.

would it be different to you if it was game 7 of a championship and it was the team's best player?

No.  Again, you're putting your own selfishness as a sports fan above all else.  Essentially, you don't give two [dang]s about the player's family because you're rooting for the laundry. 

It would be tough but I'm certainly going to accept it.

I am asking questions, I agree that he should go if he chooses. So if you are really interested in my position he should go, but you do not have to call a profession and billion dollar business a game to justify that position. That is a problem with your post, that you do not want to take back. NBA basketball is a billion dollar business, admit that. You do not need to call it just a game to justify his right to go.

« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2020, 04:15:05 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Feels like Hayward is always having children ;D

what she said

« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2020, 04:52:48 PM »

Offline NorthStation

• NCE
  • Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 6
Its been reported by multiple sources that Hayward whose wife is due in Sept will be leaving the bubble for the birth of his 4th child.

Good news is that multiple sources including Keith Smith are reporting that the NBA will shorted the required quarantine for returning players depending on the circumstances.

Could set up a nice dramatic return game for Hayward deep into the Cs playoff run.

Do you know what the time frame is on players needing to sit out after returning to the bubble? Hayward's first two seasons here were pretty much a complete sunk cost to the Cs. He has obviously been more promising this one, but if he is going to miss the entire ECF because he is choosing to leave, then that will be pretty disappointing. If the Cs look like they have a real chance of going the distance, then Hayward should do everything he can to make himself available. It sounds crass (and I'm glad there are no longer negative TPs), but it is his 4th child. Robyn is doing this in her sleep at this point.

Yeah as cold as it sounds, I can’t help but feel the same way.  It’s also just a bit annoying too because we’re finally most likely gonna have a fully healthy roster, ready to go for the playoffs, and then this news breaks.

On another note, did we really have negative TPs at one time?? How do I not remember that?!

Yeah, this is definitely annoying. Hayward has missed his share of games this season already, and now this during the playoffs. I would be fine with it if it were just a day or two, but it could 5-6 days because of quarantine. Hayward is lucky he can afford to leave his JOB during a crucial moment. Not everyone else can do this. The guy makes over $30 mil a year and still gets to do whatever he wants. I'm old school and believe that the job is important because it supports the family. I know the Celtic organization has to kiss his butt, but I would like to see him get docked pay and fined like many of us in the real world. Flame suit is now donned.

« Reply #48 on: July 04, 2020, 08:03:23 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Yeah as cold as it sounds, I can’t help but feel the same way.  It’s also just a bit annoying too because we’re finally most likely gonna have a fully healthy roster, ready to go for the playoffs, and then this news breaks.

On another note, did we really have negative TPs at one time?? How do I not remember that?!

Yeah, this is definitely annoying. Hayward has missed his share of games this season already, and now this during the playoffs. I would be fine with it if it were just a day or two, but it could 5-6 days because of quarantine. Hayward is lucky he can afford to leave his JOB during a crucial moment. Not everyone else can do this. The guy makes over $30 mil a year and still gets to do whatever he wants. I'm old school and believe that the job is important because it supports the family. I know the Celtic organization has to kiss his butt, but I would like to see him get docked pay and fined like many of us in the real world. Flame suit is now donned.
You mean like the 90% of fathers who take time off for a child’s birth, with the majority of those taking less than 10 days off (according to the New York Times in 2019).

By the way, that’s exactly what Hayward would be doing. He’ll be doing the exact same thing as 90% of fathers of newborns. You might want to check up on what constitutes the real world again
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #49 on: July 04, 2020, 08:10:49 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
So it would be a 4 day quarantine after returning, plus however many days he actually misses for the event itself. In the middle of a 2nd or third round. Tough break.

But can't really blame him, family should come first.

No kidding. I can't believe people are actually arguing that his wife should just not see her husband for months while in late stages of pregnancy, then not have him there for the birth, and then not have him around and meet his kid for another few weeks.

Some things are bigger than basketball. That includes Jrue Holiday missing most of a season to stay with his wife while fighting brain cancer, it includes Avery Bradley staying home because of his son's issues, and it includes Hayward leaving for a few days to be there for the birth of his kid.

People need to get some perspective.

Yeah. If my job forbids me to go see my wife who is giving birth I would resign immediately.

« Reply #50 on: July 04, 2020, 09:11:46 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585

Well To be clear, I never said that I’m outraged by what’s Gordon’s doing, I don’t think what he’s doing is wrong. 

I can feel that way and still be annoyed by the timing of it all.  It’s just frustration that we can never seem to have a healthy/full squad in the playoffs

I can also say that I support what Gordon’s doing and don’t have a problem with it but it no doubt adds to the argument that his signing has been a huge disappointment.  I’m not a terrible person for feeling that way

.....on another note, I don’t think a typical real world scenario is that someone would get docked pay for being there for a child birth.  My wife is pregnant and is due at the end of this year and I have paid leave that I will definitely be using so I can be there for the birth and also spend at least a week with baby at home.  There’s nothing about what Gordon’s doing that isn’t ‘real world’
Greg

« Reply #51 on: July 04, 2020, 09:54:19 PM »

Offline RLewis35

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 20
  • I drink and I know things

It’s possible Hayward planned to have the baby in September - typically still the offseason - because he didn’t want to miss time.  Can’t criticize a guy for being present at the birth of his child. 

« Reply #52 on: July 04, 2020, 10:37:57 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker

It’s possible Hayward planned to have the baby in September - typically still the offseason - because he didn’t want to miss time.  Can’t criticize a guy for being present at the birth of his child.

You can support someone’s decision to put their family first but still be disappointed or frustrated with the situation as a whole

Gordon has every right to be there for the birth of his child but if this team builds up steam and then sputters in the conference finals while he’s in quarantine his signing at that point would have been nothing short of a complete failure.
Greg

« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2020, 01:17:28 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

1st child or 4th child, it really shouldn't matter.   It's more important than a game.

Game? Here I thought it was his job that pays him MIILLIONS OF DOLLARS.
Don’t many employers give personal days to people so they can attend important events such as a birth?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2020, 05:41:40 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361
I think it's an interesting look at the different ways people experience fandom.

It's understandable that some of the fanbase will be upset at him missing time. It's because the fans don't know him personally, at the end of the day he's seen as a tool, a means to an end. We support the team and the players are the tools for the team to become successful and win a championship, which is what we're primarily interested in. So when someone gets injured, or has to miss time for the birth of a child, or decides not to play because of fears of Covid, what some people look at first and foremost is the fact that the team is now weaker as a result and his absence is to blame, whatever the reason. [dang] the guy for having a kid, doesn't he have enough already?? And the dude is costing the team millions what a waste of money!

Other fans empathize a lot more with the players, like they are part of a bigger family and not just tools to achieve an end. We celebrate their wins on the court but also their wins off the court, be it birthdays, new kids, or marriages. Even to the point where some of their actions (e.g. Gordon missing time due to attending his kid's birth) may lead to the detriment of the team as a whole.

I just find it fascinating when those two points of view collide  :angel:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2020, 05:59:21 PM »

Offline NorthStation

• NCE
  • Oshae Brissett

You can support someone’s decision to put their family first but still be disappointed or frustrated with the situation as a whole

Gordon has every right to be there for the birth of his child but if this team builds up steam and then sputters in the conference finals while he’s in quarantine his signing at that point would have been nothing short of a complete failure.

I agree. What this does show us is Hayward's lack of commitment to his teammates, the organization and fans. Just pay me 33 million and I will bail out during the playoffs.

« Reply #56 on: July 05, 2020, 06:04:05 PM »

Offline NorthStation

• NCE
  • Oshae Brissett
So it would be a 4 day quarantine after returning, plus however many days he actually misses for the event itself. In the middle of a 2nd or third round. Tough break.

No kidding. I can't believe people are actually arguing that his wife should just not see her husband for months while in late stages of pregnancy, then not have him there for the birth, and then not have him around and meet his kid for another few weeks.

Some things are bigger than basketball. That includes Jrue Holiday missing most of a season to stay with his wife while fighting brain cancer, it includes Avery Bradley staying home because of his son's issues, and it includes Hayward leaving for a few days to be there for the birth of his kid.

Yeah. If my job forbids me to go see my wife who is giving birth I would resign immediately.

Must be nice to dump your job so the rest of us can pay for your unemployment.

« Reply #57 on: July 05, 2020, 07:01:50 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker

You need a hug, bro
Greg

« Reply #58 on: July 05, 2020, 07:25:46 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Get a grip. You clearly have no idea how parental leave or actual jobs work
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #59 on: July 05, 2020, 08:47:09 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Isn't that something you should be blaming the government for?

I've never understood how people get upset at others for making a good chunk from THE CARES ACT and unemployment. Is that not the government's responsibility and not ours?
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different