Beyond the Association > Global Basketball

Is Australia the new Spain?

<< < (2/5) > >>

Ogaju:
If Nigeria kept its players they would be the biggest force.

Players of Nigerian descent that I can remember

Giannis Atentokumpo, Victor Oladipo, Festus Ezeli, Andre Ighodala, Jalil Okafor, Ike Diogu, from the NBA and there are tons in college like Ochefu, Gbinije, Metuh etc.

slightly biased bias fan:

--- Quote from: Ogaju on June 04, 2016, 08:44:23 PM ---If Nigeria kept its players they would be the biggest force.

Players of Nigerian descent that I can remember

Giannis Atentokumpo, Victor Oladipo, Festus Ezeli, Andre Ighodala, Jalil Okafor, Ike Diogu, from the NBA and there are tons in college like Ochefu, Gbinije, Metuh etc.

--- End quote ---

Very true, I think that one of Gianni's brothers is representing Nigeria, it seems the talent is there but the funding isn't.

I forgot about Croatia too; Dario Šarić, Mario Hezonja, Bojan Bogdanović, Ante Žižić very bright future.

AngryAndIrritable:
I've been pretty impressed with the rise of Australian basketball - however I fear they might plateau and tail off because Australia has such a plethora of sports attracting good athletes - rugby (league and union), cricket, Australian Rules Football and 'soccer'. Many other developing basketball countries only have one other sport to compete with.

RebusRankin:
What about Canada?

Andrew Wiggins, Tristan Thompson, Nik Staukas, Jamaal Murray.

slightly biased bias fan:

--- Quote from: RebusRankin on June 04, 2016, 10:19:57 PM ---What about Canada?

Andrew Wiggins, Tristan Thompson, Nik Staukas, Jamaal Murray.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: slightly biased bias fan on June 04, 2016, 07:46:54 PM ---The Australian national basketball team is an up and coming force that looks like displacing Spain as challenger America. There are several players in the NBA today; Bogut, Dellavedova, Exum, Mills, Baynes, Ingles, Cameron Bairstow & more to come such as; Simmons, Thon Maker, Malik Maker, Jonah Bolden, Deng Gak, Isaac Humphries, Harry Froling. The also have an array of talent in Europe like; Nathan Jawai & David Anderson.

I think this is an impressive up and coming team in the making, what do you think? Is perhaps Canada the next U.S rival?

--- End quote ---

Yeah this is my bet that it'll be between Canada & Australia as the number 2 basketball nation in the world.

Thompson
Olynyk
Wiggins
Staukas
Murray

Canada also has a kid named R.J. Barrett who is extremely promising.

Bogut
Maker
Simmons
Exum
Mills

Apparently Irving was very close to representing Australian but changed his mind when he was finally selected for the team USA.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version