Author Topic: The all-purpose "feel good" / pep rally / "optimism only" thread  (Read 611274 times)

Re: The all-purpose "feel good" / pep rally / "optimism only" thread
« Reply #630 on: March 03, 2016, 06:44:12 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
gotta say, I loved what we did last night. I don't know what happened in the NBA but it's been a while since I've seen a team play deny-the ball defense and actually stick to it and succeed. we should do this a lot more.

« Reply #631 on: March 03, 2016, 07:52:56 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
Last night was the best executed game I have seen by the Celtics in years.  I thoroughly enjoyed it.  Happy, Happy.   :laugh:
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #632 on: March 03, 2016, 10:18:42 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Longest home winning streak since 08-09, Just smacked the hottest road team not called the Warriors; playing basketball sweeter than Manna from heaven and looking at the 3rd seed in the East. BRAD STEVENS IS GOD!
Yes indeed!! Stevens and Ainge deserve much praise for making the Celtics a viable Eastern Conference contender so quickly after the rebuild began a little under three years ago when Danny traded Pierce and KG. They basically got as bad as they could for one year and then Ainge struck gold with the IT trade and the Rondo trade. getting rid of Rondo and Jeff Green and bringing in players like Jae Crowder and Isaiah Thomas while drafting Marcus Smart and signing retread project Eric Turner, vet presence Amir Johnson and adding those players to the Celtics youth of Bradley, Sullinger, and Olynyk.

That team was assembled and then given to a coach that over the last year has probably been the best coach in basketball, especially given the lack of superstar talent on the Celtics. Stevens consistently has developed youth, developed a win first and foremost, professional, unselfish, team culture while establishing a defensive identity with the team on the court and appears to have found a very successful rotation of players that fit into the roles he needs filled to maximize his team's ability to win.

Keep this nine player core(IT, AB, Smart, Crowder, Turner, Johnson, Sully, Olynyk, Zeller) and add just one top 10 player in the league to it and I think the Celtics could start looking to be a team even the Warriors would need to worry about beating in a 7 game series.

« Reply #633 on: March 03, 2016, 10:24:37 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
When was the last time we were 12 games over 500? 2011-2012 season?

If we can somehow pull off a repeat of THAT year how sweet that would be!

No one expected us to get to the ECF and take CLE to seven games like we did.

I read on ESPN, I think, that this team COULD be playing in May - during the Lottery Selection presentation. That would be AWESOME.

« Reply #634 on: March 05, 2016, 01:30:37 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
These C's can make it to the ECF. They can also beat the Cavs, which we just saw and should see again soon. They can ALSO play the WARRIORS close. They had a blowout lead on the Warriors last year, overtime semi-classic this year. They're one of the few teams that have successfully held Curry to a subpar version of himself. Granted, no Klay that night. But no Smart, either. We are one of the only teams with a guard rotation that includes two All-D defenders. Not including Bae, who could conceivably almost neutralize Dray. Barnes is mediocre, I'd rather have Turner than Barnes. We are not only the best-poised to take Cleveland to the limit (and for real, how dysfunctional do the Cavs look right now, their Big Three have negative Ubuntu-shares), but we're also the best-poised team in the East to take Golden State. Try to visualize which team in the East could be the NBA equivalent of the Giants (in the Football Game That Shall Not Be Named) in that Perfect Best Sports Season Ever which is ruined by the underdog's rugged defense and shoestring offense. It's us, isn't it? I have no doubt that the Celtics would lose three games against the Warriors. I just bet they'd be close, and I just wonder how hard they would make it to beat them that fourth time. I'm calling it now, speculatively, that if we do play the spoiler like the Giants, our helmet-catcher will be...well, actually, who knows, anyone could be the hero. And that's part of how we could win.

"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #635 on: March 05, 2016, 01:33:25 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
2016 Championship + Ben Simmons in the draft + Durant/Horford in 2016 free agency + Steph Curry in 2017 free agency.   

Could all happen.   2016 championship being the least likely.

« Reply #636 on: March 05, 2016, 01:39:16 PM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11
2016 Championship + Ben Simmons in the draft + Durant/Horford in 2016 free agency + Steph Curry in 2017 free agency.   

No, that's less likely.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #637 on: March 05, 2016, 01:46:02 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

No, that's less likely.
Not if the other 3 things happen first.   Curry is an unrestricted free agent in 2017.  I fully expect him to consider joining the back-to-back championship Celtics.   Durant, Horford, Simmons, Thomas, Crowder, etc are a formidable unit to join with. 

« Reply #638 on: March 05, 2016, 01:51:08 PM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11

No, that's less likely.
Not if the other 3 things happen first.   Curry is an unrestricted free agent in 2017.  I fully expect him to consider joining the back-to-back championship Celtics.   Durant, Horford, Simmons, Thomas, Crowder, etc are a formidable unit to join with.
But that would mean the 2016 championship already happened. So if Curry signing with us hangs on us winning the 2016 championship, it would mean that is less likely because there would still be a strong chance he resigns with GS.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #639 on: March 05, 2016, 01:57:02 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

No, that's less likely.
But that would mean the 2016 championship already happened. So if Curry signing with us hangs on us winning the 2016 championship, it would mean that is less likely because there would still be a strong chance he resigns with GS.

2016 Championship Confirmed.

« Reply #640 on: March 05, 2016, 02:29:09 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 376
This team is so fun to watch. Their never say die attitude makes me optimistic about every game. And we are still too early in the rebuild to have serious championship aspirations so all of their success is pure gravy. Great time to be a Cs fan!

« Reply #641 on: March 10, 2016, 02:06:09 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Here's a feel good article by Chad Finn that I enjoyed.  Thought I'd share.

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/2016/03/10/what-are-the-most-optimistic-but-realistic-possibilities-for-the-celtics-this-season/WzaHSBHod4HhYJpGr22GMM/story.html?p1=well__main

A quote from the article:
"And they are coached with unassuming brilliance by Brad Stevens, whose genius for putting imperfect players in spots to thrive—my goodness, somehow he has made perennially bewildering Evan Turner wholly likable and even essential—suggests that he could take the entire inventory of the Island of Misfit Toys and give a kid the best [dang] Christmas ever."

« Reply #642 on: March 10, 2016, 02:34:23 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
TP knuckleballer. Fun read, thanks for sharing.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #643 on: March 10, 2016, 03:01:03 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I always enjoy Chad Finn's takes on Boston sports.

I think the chance of making it to the Finals is significantly less than an Evan Turner 3 pointer (i.e. 15%).  If you want to argue that's their chance of getting to the ECF, I'd entertain that.

I really don't know what to expect from this team in the playoffs until they get there.

For what it's worth, the Celts are 9-9 this season against other teams currently in the Eastern Conference playoffs picture.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 03:13:45 PM by PhoSita »
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #644 on: March 10, 2016, 03:20:51 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

I really don't know what to expect from this team in the playoffs until they get there.

Same. Unfortunately I would not be shocked if it's not that different from last year, past the first round, even though I am really impressed with the team this year.  We will have to see how much the team can step up to help out IT so he isn't carrying it all.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford