Author Topic: The all-purpose "feel good" / pep rally / "optimism only" thread  (Read 607882 times)

Re: The all-purpose "feel good" / pep rally / "optimism only" thread
« Reply #570 on: February 04, 2015, 03:31:50 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
All bleeding eventually stops, one way or another.
I don't know man, Tommy hasn't stopped bleeding green since college

TP! On Olynyk, I'm not a big fan of his but taking the emotion out of it, he's at worst a serviceable big on short money for 2 seasons after this. That's at worst.

« Reply #571 on: February 04, 2015, 04:02:03 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
All bleeding eventually stops, one way or another.
I don't know man, Tommy hasn't stopped bleeding green since college

TP! On Olynyk, I'm not a big fan of his but taking the emotion out of it, he's at worst a serviceable big on short money for 2 seasons after this. That's at worst.
Totally agree nerf!  At worst, that is who he is, which is not that bad. He keeps the flow going. Gotta love his overall vision
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #572 on: February 04, 2015, 06:52:18 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Noooo you stay away from my pep rally thread!

[Was addressing the spammer]

« Reply #573 on: February 08, 2015, 12:17:04 AM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377

« Reply #574 on: February 08, 2015, 12:28:41 AM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGi3jcpGS10
Awesome. TP!

BTW, everyone is talking about how bad the east is right now, but lordy, there were a couple of years in the early 2000s when it was so pathetic. At least there have been legit contenders these last few years. Back then, everyone in the east was a pretender
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #575 on: February 10, 2015, 07:23:33 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
Greetings.  I apologize if this has been pointed out in an earlier page, but I'm new to the "feel good" thread, having spent most of my time in the "let's come up with the best way to tank" threads.

We are 2.5 games out of not only 8th but also 7th.  Charlotte has lost Walker for what could be the year and Miami is teetering.  7 is not out of reach.

If we go in as a seven and the standings stay the way they are now otherwise (a big if, the way Cleveland is playing), we face Toronto in the first round.  I'm not saying that Toronto isn't good, but I do think they are overrated.  It is not outside the realm of possibilities that we could win that series.  Then, we get the winner of Washington/Milwaukee.  Also winnable.

Okay, maybe I'm the mayor of Fantasyland, but it's nice to be actually rooting to win instead of secretly hoping we tank.

Mike

« Reply #576 on: February 10, 2015, 07:35:40 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Greetings.  I apologize if this has been pointed out in an earlier page, but I'm new to the "feel good" thread, having spent most of my time in the "let's come up with the best way to tank" threads.

We are 2.5 games out of not only 8th but also 7th.  Charlotte has lost Walker for what could be the year and Miami is teetering.  7 is not out of reach.

If we go in as a seven and the standings stay the way they are now otherwise (a big if, the way Cleveland is playing), we face Toronto in the first round.  I'm not saying that Toronto isn't good, but I do think they are overrated.  It is not outside the realm of possibilities that we could win that series.  Then, we get the winner of Washington/Milwaukee.  Also winnable.

Okay, maybe I'm the mayor of Fantasyland, but it's nice to be actually rooting to win instead of secretly hoping we tank.

Mike

Toronto would smoke us, you should watch them sometime.

It would be cool if we made the playoffs if and only if it is due to Marcus and then in the playoffs, he plays really well.  That's pretty unlikely, if anything we make the playoffs because we get outanked by savvier teams.  All we'll have to show for it is Frank Kaminsky and a first round sweep. 

« Reply #577 on: February 10, 2015, 09:38:44 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

Mike

It would be cool if we made the playoffs if and only if it is due to Marcus and then in the playoffs, he plays really well.  That's pretty unlikely, if anything we make the playoffs because we get outanked by savvier teams.  All we'll have to show for it is Frank Kaminsky and a first round sweep.

Why only Marcus? Why can't it because the Celtics played well as a team?

« Reply #578 on: February 10, 2015, 09:53:19 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker

Mike

Why only Marcus? Why can't it because the Celtics played well as a team?

Think about it this way: if we were to become a good team, which of the following players do you think would be a part of it?

Bass - probably not
Tayshaun Prince - def not
Evan Turner - prob not
Jameer Nelson - def not
Marcus Thorton - def not
Gerald Wallace - maybe as an assistant coach
Jae Crowder - 50/50
Andre Dawkins - def not
Avery Bradley - probably, but one playoff series blowout isn't going to develop him any
Phil Pressey - Def not
Tyler Zeller - he's not a starting center on a good team, he's 50/50 going forward as our backup

That leaves Smart, Sully, KO and Young.  So basically those are the 4 players we have that could net us something in a trade or will be on our "real" team when we start to actually try and win again.  What good does Tayshaun Prince playing well in the playoffs for us do if he retires in a year?  How many minutes do you really think Young will get in the playoffs?  If Thorton has a good series, what does it matter if he's a FA and won't sign here anyways?

If we went to the playoffs however and we actually got a long term, tangible benefit out of it, I would be on board.  Marcus playing well is the most likely thing to go well for us, so I am rooting for that.  Otherwise we're just rooting for a bunch of journey men to cost us long term assets.  I don't want to go to the playoffs for one year and then be handicapped by it.  I want to put together a team that goes to the playoffs EVERY year and keeps adding lotto picks to it via the Nets. 

« Reply #579 on: February 11, 2015, 12:09:03 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Optimism Only! Please OPTIMISM ONLY!
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #580 on: February 11, 2015, 01:06:51 AM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #581 on: February 11, 2015, 01:49:47 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
Optimism Only! Please OPTIMISM ONLY!

Oh my bad, I was just posting in threads without reading the title.  Um, let's go Celtics!  TP

« Reply #582 on: February 11, 2015, 10:02:55 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
Hey, if we can beat the Hawks, we can beat the Raptors!  In fact, since the Hawks were the top team in the most recent ESPN power rankings, I guess that makes us the top team.

Mike

« Reply #583 on: February 19, 2015, 02:20:14 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Celtics have the pieces to deal with anyone, without the need to deal for anyone. What better scenario, is there?
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #584 on: February 19, 2015, 09:35:06 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
Celtics have the pieces to deal with anyone, without the need to deal for anyone. What better scenario, is there?
a competitive post season team?
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!