Poll

Should the Celtics trade for AD?

Yes.  (Tatum in the deal)
22 (44.9%)
No.   (Not worth giving up assets for a one year rental)
19 (38.8%)
Yes but only if Tatum isn't in the deal.
8 (16.3%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: Anthony Davis traded to Lakers(page 272)  (Read 344358 times)

Re: Anthony Davis Trade Thread (Merged Threads)
« Reply #315 on: December 13, 2018, 08:57:14 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I think the tendency is to assume, "Well he's an MVP player so if they trade for him you're gonna have to give them the whole team", but recent history shows that's just not the case.  If he turns down the big extension, they'll be looking at next season being a 1 year rental year.  I don't care how great the player is - hard to get equal return for a player in that position.  Look at what guys like Jimmy Butler, Paul George, Boogie and Kawhi fetched.  Only teams with a genuine chance of re-signing him will be in the running.   We aren't bidding against ourselves - we're bidding against a team like the Lakers.

So figure out what LA's best offer is... and try to beat that.   We aren't trying out outbid a package built around Luka Doncic - we're trying to outbid a package built around Brandon Ingram. 

Point is, while I get the tendency to say "Tatum would need to be included"... I'm not totally sold on that.   On the flip side, our 4 draft picks look like total trash right now (18, 20, 24, 25)... borderline worthless... so you gotta assume a package built around Jaylen Brown, Marcus Smart and other pieces would be neccesary.

« Reply #316 on: December 13, 2018, 09:22:22 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
QUESTION: If Rozier and the Pelicans agree to some deal in a S&T scenario and that's included in the trade, is his average salary included in the deal or half of that?

For example, say Rozier and NOP agrees to like 4/60M (15M/Year), so if Rozier is in the trade package, does it count as 15M in the trade or 7.5M? That's important when determining what to trade for AD since getting close to matching his 27M salary will also be key.
For New Orleans it would count as $15 million incoming but for Boston only $7.5 million outgoing so it makes it very difficult to match. So let's examine:

Boston trade Rozier Tatum and Brown..$15 million + $6.7 million + $5.1 million = $26.8 million
New Orleans trades AD...$25.4 million
Obviously both salaries are within 25% of each other...but

New Orleans outgoing $25.4 million
New Orleans incoming $26.8 million
The trade works for New Orleans incoming and outgoing salaries within 25%

Boston outgoing salary: $26.8 million - $7.5 million = $19.3 million because you only count $7.5 million instead of $15 million
Boston incoming salary for AD: $25.4 million

$19.3 × 1.25 = 24.125 which means Boston has to have incoming salary no higher than $24.225 million and obviously $26.8 million is higher than allowed so the trade doesn't work.

This trade is looking to be almost impossible to do.  We don't know if NO would even want Rozier and as an UF, he has some leverage to dictate where he's traded to.  Horford can opt out so I doubt he's a part of a trade.  I don't think they're trading Hayward and NO probably wouldn't be interested anyway.  Meanwhile, the Sac pick is looking worse all the time.
Yeah, I detailed that in an earlier post.

You took over for FLCeltsFan, you taking over for saltlover too?  ;)

Couldn't a pick heavy trade work, using the 30-day rule that we saw with Andrew Wiggins?

Best case scenario is Boston has:
#2 (from Kings, don't give up hope!)
#9 (from Griz)
#15 (from LAC)
+Boston's own (I hope it's #30, but for trade purposes it's probably better at #16).

Using 120% of the 2020 rookie scale:
2, 9, 15, 30 = $15.3m (best case)
10, 12, 15, 25 = $11.2m (realistic case?)
18, 20, 21, 23 = $8.5m (current standings)

So Boston selects the picks for NO, but still signs the players and just trades them in 30 days.

Something like Brown ($6.5m) + Rozier ($15m) + 4 rookies ($10m-$15m) would equal somewhere between $24m-$29m for Boston and $31.5m-$36.6m for NO.

Not counting Davis, the Pelicans only have 5 players under contract for next year + 1 team option (Okafor, probably not going to be picked up) + 1 player option (Randle, will probably opt out), so they can handle a 6-for-1 trade and will be well under the cap.

With my green tinted glasses on, that sounds like a good package for a team that would immediately start to rebuild (assuming picks are at least decent).

This could work theoretically right?  Or am I missing some major CBA rule?

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #317 on: December 13, 2018, 09:48:22 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
QUESTION: If Rozier and the Pelicans agree to some deal in a S&T scenario and that's included in the trade, is his average salary included in the deal or half of that?

For example, say Rozier and NOP agrees to like 4/60M (15M/Year), so if Rozier is in the trade package, does it count as 15M in the trade or 7.5M? That's important when determining what to trade for AD since getting close to matching his 27M salary will also be key.
For New Orleans it would count as $15 million incoming but for Boston only $7.5 million outgoing so it makes it very difficult to match. So let's examine:

Boston trade Rozier Tatum and Brown..$15 million + $6.7 million + $5.1 million = $26.8 million

Boston outgoing salary: $26.8 million - $7.5 million = $19.3 million because you only count $7.5 million instead of $15 million

$19.3 × 1.25 = 24.125 which means Boston has to have incoming salary no higher than $24.225 million and obviously $26.8 million is higher than allowed so the trade doesn't work.

This trade is looking to be almost impossible to do.  We don't know if NO would even want Rozier and as an UF, he has some leverage to dictate where he's traded to.  Horford can opt out so I doubt he's a part of a trade.  I don't think they're trading Hayward and NO probably wouldn't be interested anyway.  Meanwhile, the Sac pick is looking worse all the time.
Yeah, I detailed that in an earlier post.

You took over for FLCeltsFan, you taking over for saltlover too?  ;)

Couldn't a pick heavy trade work, using the 30-day rule that we saw with Andrew Wiggins?

Best case scenario is Boston has:
#2 (from Kings, don't give up hope!)
#9 (from Griz)
#15 (from LAC)
+Boston's own (I hope it's #30, but for trade purposes it's probably better at #16).

Using 120% of the 2020 rookie scale:
2, 9, 15, 30 = $15.3m (best case)
10, 12, 15, 25 = $11.2m (realistic case?)
18, 20, 21, 23 = $8.5m (current standings)

So Boston selects the picks for NO, but still signs the players and just trades them in 30 days.

Something like Brown ($6.5m) + Rozier ($15m) + 4 rookies ($10m-$15m) would equal somewhere between $24m-$29m for Boston and $31.5m-$36.6m for NO.

Not counting Davis, the Pelicans only have 5 players under contract for next year + 1 team option (Okafor, probably not going to be picked up) + 1 player option (Randle, will probably opt out), so they can handle a 6-for-1 trade and will be well under the cap.

With my green tinted glasses on, that sounds like a good package for a team that would immediately start to rebuild (assuming picks are at least decent).

This could work theoretically right?  Or am I missing some major CBA rule?
Its way to hard to figure out without knowing exactly where the picks land. Too many variables. And again, you have to do the calculations for both teams because of the way you have to handle Rozier's Base Year Compensation. A Rozier sign and trade is going to make it very difficult to make up that $7.5 million difference and means you have to add more players on both sides of the trade.

« Reply #318 on: December 13, 2018, 09:55:23 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Anthony Davis? I will give them Yabu, Rozier and the Sac pick. Sign and Trade Rozier to make numbers work.

« Reply #319 on: December 14, 2018, 12:37:29 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
I will give up posting in this forums.

« Reply #320 on: December 15, 2018, 12:24:13 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2959
  • On To Banner 18!

TP and thanks a ton for that explanation/outline!  ;D

But man now my brain hurts trying to process all this as well  :(  :P
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #321 on: December 15, 2018, 12:29:37 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
The most I would give up is Kyrie and Brown and one pick, but I would hesistate to do that even

« Reply #322 on: December 15, 2018, 12:40:50 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 552
The most I would give up is Kyrie and Brown and one pick, but I would hesistate to do that even
Kyrie really isn't much value to NOP because he'll be a free agent and unlikely to re-sign with them. 

« Reply #323 on: December 15, 2018, 12:48:04 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Tatum should not be an obstacle to getting Davis. Love him but he’s not at same level.

« Reply #324 on: December 15, 2018, 12:56:48 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
Tatum should not be an obstacle to getting Davis. Love him but he’s not at same level.

What about the heart and soul of the team, Smart? We may end up needing his 12M to help facilitate a trade. Guessing a more realistic package for AD is Smart, Tatum/Brown, Williams + All The Picks (some included as salary once picked).

Although with how Time Lord is doing... idk if I want to trade him  ???

« Reply #325 on: December 15, 2018, 01:23:10 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969

What about the heart and soul of the team, Smart? We may end up needing his 12M to help facilitate a trade. Guessing a more realistic package for AD is Smart, Tatum/Brown, Williams + All The Picks (some included as salary once picked).

Although with how Time Lord is doing... idk if I want to trade him  ???

he is on the cheap,for a couple years ......if he could be a 12pt 10 rebound defense minded center. ....that would be HUgE for Boston weak inside D .

« Reply #326 on: December 16, 2018, 02:37:26 PM »

Offline the_gunner

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 3
It's really hard figuring out what to pay for AD.

No doubt, that he is in a league of only a few players, and our best players are in the league just below - Kyrie included.

A lot of the suggestions suggest that we should try to get him without giving any of our big contracts up, but the problem with that is, that we would then have to pay almost 120 million in cap to 4 players - how is it then possible to be able to have even decent roleplayers, and even worse how can we afford to re-sign our young talents.

Therefore we must try to trade one of our big contracts, which leads us to Hayward, Horford and Kyrie.

Hayward is untradable untill he is back on full term psycically - noone would take the risk unless they are being heavily overpaid.

Horford is fantastic, but he will only recline from now on. I like him a lot, but his tradevalue is not even close to the value of AD.

That leads us to Kyrie, who is the only guy to build a trade around.

Therefore I have come of with this trade including a 1st to New Orleans

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y7n4p3x5

Why would NO want Morris and Baynes. First of all they need wings. Morris is a great wing playing the basket of his life. He is hardworking and a crowdpleaser, so he will be a fantastic roleplayer.

When it comes to Baynes he could be an ok replacement for AD. Nobody can replace AD, but he could atleast be a more than mediocre center for them.

If NO makes this trade, then they would have a foundation to build on for the future.

We would do it for 2 reasons:

1) AD
2) Freeing up some cap space, so that we have a better chance of signing JB and Terry.

« Reply #327 on: December 16, 2018, 03:14:53 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
We need to send out, what, around $22 million for Davis next summer?

Assume we trade all four potential first rounders, plus Tatum.

Tatum:  $7.8 million

11th:  $2.8 million
15th:  $2.3 million
20th:  $1.8 million
25th:  $1.5 million

Total:  $8.4 million

Combined, that's $16.4 million.

Throw in Yabu.  That's another $3.1 million.

So, $19.5 million.  Throw in Williams.  That gets us to $21.4 million.

So, with some variance on the draft picks, we can probably get to where we need to be.  Otherwise, keep Jabari Parker, or sign somebody to a two-year minimum after cutting him and include their salary.

The total package would be:

BOS gets:  Anthony Davis
NOP gets:  Tatum, four #1s, Robert Williams, Yabu

We'd get to keep Smart, while maintaining Bird rights to Morris, Rozier, etc.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #328 on: December 16, 2018, 03:31:48 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

So, with some variance on the draft picks, we can probably get to where we need to be.  Otherwise, keep Jabari Parker, or sign somebody to a two-year minimum after cutting him and include their salary.

Assuming we flip Rozier for a first at the deadline, it could even be Tatum + 5 firsts + Williams + Yabu for AD.

Hopefully, the Pels would at least consider it.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 03:41:51 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #329 on: December 16, 2018, 03:42:55 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

Assuming we flip Rozier for a first at the deadline, it could even be Tatum + 5 firsts + Williams + Yabu for AD.

Hopefully, the Pels would at least consider it.

Also depends on what other teams offer, like LAL. Does that beat a potential offer from LAL? Idk.