Author Topic: Big Announcement: CelticsBlog forums phasing out (need your help)  (Read 64121 times)

Re: Big Announcement: CelticsBlog forums phasing out (need your help)
« Reply #210 on: August 28, 2018, 06:11:12 AM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
My life will be a little less fulfilling without Celticsblog.

« Reply #211 on: August 28, 2018, 08:13:42 AM »

Online mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 610
Awesome news on the upcoming rebirth! I appreciate the efforts of those making it happen.

I’m an infrequent poster but daily lurker so please don’t delete “dead” accounts as suggested by some on the previous page.

« Reply #212 on: August 28, 2018, 08:32:38 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Awesome news on the upcoming rebirth! I appreciate the efforts of those making it happen.

I’m an infrequent poster but daily lurker so please don’t delete “dead” accounts as suggested by some on the previous page.

I think people are misunderstanding the desire to get rid of 'dead' accounts (which I doubt is happening anyway). If you sort by post count, you'll see that from page 119-865 (over 37,000 accounts) are users who have never even posted one single comment. Only on page 94 do you even begin to see people who have posted more than once.

In this hypothetical world where we delete dead user accounts, we would literally only be deleting accounts of people who have never ever posted. It's amazing that 37000 of the over 43000 accounts have only ever created a user name, but never posted. It makes me think people are creating usernames just to give themselves TPs  :o

« Reply #213 on: August 28, 2018, 08:37:45 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
My life will be a little less fulfilling without Celticsblog.

Haha. I was just thinking the opposite  ;D

« Reply #214 on: August 28, 2018, 08:45:06 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I would also be willing to contribute, but as far as sustainability, would it be possible to attract companies to advertise on the site? If so, I am not sure why SBNation couldn't do that, as well (as they do with the front page).

The forums have basically been running as their own site for several years now with no 'Latest Forum Topics' on the right hand side of the main page anymore and just a simple link to Forums. I suppose not much has to change on the usability of the site; it just sounds like SBNation wants nothing to do with it anymore. Hopefully a link will be possible.

this site is worth making it a premium pay site. However, yes, i post on a college board that is FREE and makes a killing with ad revenue.  The owner of that HUGE site could help us here.

also if we need serious shareholders I am up for buying shares of ownership.
Appreciate the dedication. Currently the plan is something like:

1) Have a smooth transition with as few differences as possible, on a small budget. Fix things that are broken, e.g. emails, connection issues, etc.

2) Work on tasteful ways to monetize the site. I don't want to elaborate prematurely, but I'm keenly aware of the need to have *some* revenue coming in long term. The strong preference is to keep it free. I think this community is worth a decent sponsor, but it will take some time to roll anything out after the move.

3) Find ways to improve and grow the forums, while preserving everything we already love. No major changes to the format, nothing crazy, but lots of ideas to incrementally improve the experience.

I have high hopes that the forums will be better than ever in the coming months.

You're a good egg, byennie.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #215 on: August 28, 2018, 10:26:51 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1551
I would also be willing to contribute, but as far as sustainability, would it be possible to attract companies to advertise on the site? If so, I am not sure why SBNation couldn't do that, as well (as they do with the front page).

The forums have basically been running as their own site for several years now with no 'Latest Forum Topics' on the right hand side of the main page anymore and just a simple link to Forums. I suppose not much has to change on the usability of the site; it just sounds like SBNation wants nothing to do with it anymore. Hopefully a link will be possible.

this site is worth making it a premium pay site. However, yes, i post on a college board that is FREE and makes a killing with ad revenue.  The owner of that HUGE site could help us here.

also if we need serious shareholders I am up for buying shares of ownership.
Appreciate the dedication. Currently the plan is something like:

1) Have a smooth transition with as few differences as possible, on a small budget. Fix things that are broken, e.g. emails, connection issues, etc.

2) Work on tasteful ways to monetize the site. I don't want to elaborate prematurely, but I'm keenly aware of the need to have *some* revenue coming in long term. The strong preference is to keep it free. I think this community is worth a decent sponsor, but it will take some time to roll anything out after the move.

3) Find ways to improve and grow the forums, while preserving everything we already love. No major changes to the format, nothing crazy, but lots of ideas to incrementally improve the experience.

I have high hopes that the forums will be better than ever in the coming months.

sounds good. just send me a DM if I can help in any way. Thanks for your help! If you need to contact me via email leave your email in this thread or DM it to me and I will respond.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #216 on: September 03, 2018, 01:21:21 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Personally I think it would be prudent to start from scratch on the new forum because of how many dead accounts there would be on celtics blog forum, as it's impossible to delete an account even if someone wanted to.

As long as people use their old username and avatar everyone will know who you are anyway.

You're not wrong. Of the approximately 43,250 users (865 pages / 50 user per page), only about 1300 users have over 100 posts (ends on the 26th page). That is like 840 of the 865 pages of users who have under 100 posts.

If there was a way to boil that down a bit, that would be ideal, but I understand if it's not. I do think there would be a number of people who might be liable to check out some other sites if their post count / TPs were reset, though. I mean, it's happened before a couple of times before SB Nation, but never have we moved to a completely different site and never has a CB forum lasted anywhere near this long.

I’m just curious, what does it matter if they are inactive? Why shouldn’t their posts carry over? Seems like it’s really just porting all the info over, and I’m no expert but wouldn’t it be easier to port all data over than to sift through it?

Does it matter if a new CB has 1,300 users (all of whom post regularly) or 43,000 (of which 1300 post regularly)?

It's not about posting regularly. Of the 43,000+ users, over 37,000 have never posted a single post. And of those 6,000+ almost a 1/4 of them have only posted once.

I fully understand that it is not necessarily feasible to sift through what users to keep and what ones are not worth keeping, just that it is interesting that 85-90% of the user names are completely obsolete.

You should try to keep Danny Ainge's account at least.

And that one that Jordan Mickey's mom had. it was treeboy or something like that.

woah, really? lol

« Reply #217 on: September 12, 2018, 09:45:14 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
I was thinking of adding a system similar to the one Paradox Plaza has, where instead of upvote/downvote, you can chose among three options: agree, respectfully disagree, helpful.

This has several advantages:

i. respectfully disagree is a much less confrontational than a downvote/dislike. Paradox Plaza is actually one of the most civil places on the internet.

ii. It saves you the trouble (and the risk of confrontation) to make a comment just to express disagreement  with another comment or rectify a false piece of information.

iii. A reader can at a glance see which comments the community regards as more informative and helpful.

« Reply #218 on: September 13, 2018, 01:41:50 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
I was thinking of adding a system similar to the one Paradox Plaza has, where instead of upvote/downvote, you can chose among three options: agree, respectfully disagree, helpful.

i. respectfully disagree is a much less confrontational than a downvote/dislike. Paradox Plaza is actually one of the most civil places on the internet.

ii. It saves you the trouble (and the risk of confrontation) to make a comment just to express disagreement  with another comment or rectify a false piece of information.

iii. A reader can at a glance see which comments the community regards as more informative and helpful.
I approve this message!
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #219 on: September 13, 2018, 06:40:14 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25635
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I approve this message!

We tried the downvote thing. It ran very contrary to our values of civility.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #220 on: September 13, 2018, 09:04:16 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

I approve this message!

I definitely agree. Downvotes often run against civility. But the system above is very different from what say reddit does. For an example of what I'm suggesting works take a look here

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/attrition-is-too-weak.1119188/

And if you think "respectfully disagree" is still too much, what about just adding "agree" and "helpful"?

« Reply #221 on: September 13, 2018, 12:57:19 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

I approve this message!

I definitely agree. Downvotes often run against civility. But the system above is very different from what say reddit does. For an example of what I'm suggesting works take a look here

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/attrition-is-too-weak.1119188/

And if you think "respectfully disagree" is still too much, what about just adding "agree" and "helpful"?

It's true that sometimes you just agree with a post and don't necessarily have anything to add but the only way to express that agreement is with a new post. I would use an agree button a lot.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #222 on: September 13, 2018, 01:00:34 PM »

Offline Mike Pemulis

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 38
"It's true that sometimes you just agree with a post and don't necessarily have anything to add but the only way to express that agreement is with a new post. I would use an agree button a lot."

^Agree. This would save time reading through posts like "TP to the original poster" and "+1" or even the worst of all "This."
Allston, MA --> Enfield Tennis Academy

« Reply #223 on: September 13, 2018, 01:16:07 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
"It's true that sometimes you just agree with a post and don't necessarily have anything to add but the only way to express that agreement is with a new post. I would use an agree button a lot."

^Agree. This would save time reading through posts like "TP to the original poster" and "+1" or even the worst of all "This."

That's me.  ;D
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #224 on: September 13, 2018, 04:54:00 PM »

Offline Kaz

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 73

Yeah, I know some people don't like having the "Soandso likes this" message at the bottom of posts because it seems a bit Facebook-esque, but I personally think it beats the hell out of wading through a wall of "TP" "^this" "I agree" and other empty posts.

IMO, a regular "like system", better image support, and a notification system would go a long way in making this community (and the new site) more accessible and user friendly.