Author Topic: Can Rondo get the MIP award?  (Read 1708 times)

Can Rondo get the MIP award?
« on: April 27, 2009, 02:34:25 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
This idea just crossed my mind. We all know that Devin Harris is supposed to receive the Most Improved Player award but Rondo's stats in the playoffs (almost a triple double by game) and the fact that he leads his team as if he was its veteran leader made me think that he could get the award.

However, if the regular season is what counts most to choose the winner, I think that Harris will get the MIP because he was more regular than Rondo during the season and he had better stats with a less talented team.

I just checked on Wikipedia, last year Turkoglu received the award on the 28th April so maybe we'll know who is the winner in two days but I wonder what you guys think : does Rondo have a chance? Or will the playoffs be overlooked because it's a regular season award?

Anyway I think that Rondo is clearly the player who has improved the most in the league this season, if you go beyond the stats. He has stepped up in a huge way in KG's absence, and few people knew he would do so.

Re: Can Rondo get the MIP award?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 02:46:24 PM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
I believe playoff stats have no merit on any of the end-of-season awards.  All awards are based on regular season statistics.  So no Rondo will not win MIP this year.  Now next year, if he can play like he is now, watch out.

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 02:46:31 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
All NBA awards (except for playoff-only awards like Finals MVP) are based on the regular season only - voters are forbidden to consider playoffs, and all ballots were sent in awhile ago.  

Rondo won't win but will get some support - Mark Jackson said during the game yesterday that he voted for Rondo.

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 03:26:17 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
Thanks for the answers, I wasn't sure that the award winner was mostly (and almost only) determined by the regular season, I thought that some spectacular chokes (like Nowitzki and his MVP award) changed the rules a little bit. I've read that since this Nowitzki story the NBA has delayed the day on which the MVP receives his award, to make sure that he didn't get kicked of the playoffs in the first round.

It's too bad for Rondo, even if it's just an award, but hopefully he'll get it next year (and play in the ASG).

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 03:51:32 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Thanks for the answers, I wasn't sure that the award winner was mostly (and almost only) determined by the regular season, I thought that some spectacular chokes (like Nowitzki and his MVP award) changed the rules a little bit. I've read that since this Nowitzki story the NBA has delayed the day on which the MVP receives his award, to make sure that he didn't get kicked of the playoffs in the first round.

It's too bad for Rondo, even if it's just an award, but hopefully he'll get it next year (and play in the ASG).
Personally, I think Rondo is playing too well in the playoffs to get consideration for MIP next year. I'm not sure it is possible to improve much from where he is now.

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 04:15:30 PM »

Offline youcanthandlethetruth113

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 153
All NBA awards (except for playoff-only awards like Finals MVP) are based on the regular season only - voters are forbidden to consider playoffs, and all ballots were sent in awhile ago.  

Rondo won't win but will get some support - Mark Jackson said during the game yesterday that he voted for Rondo.

I love Marc Jackson.
"Perk is not an alley-oop guy" - Tommy Heinson - Feb 27th 2008 vs. Cleveland

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 04:18:53 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1676

I love Marc Jackson.

Yeah, isn't Mark Jackson the one who said Ray is a good player on natural talent, but Kobe had to work for it?

I don't.  Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 05:29:39 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Danny Granger deserves the MIP this year, and I wouldn't be surprised.  He received the most votes from the guys at ESPN
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers