Author Topic: How Paul Pierce can get back on track  (Read 4294 times)

How Paul Pierce can get back on track
« on: April 27, 2009, 01:51:07 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
Paul has struggled in 3 out of 4 games this series and it is time to start giving some credit to the Bulls and the way they are defending him rather than focusing on the notion that Pierce MAY be hurt/tired/disinterested. They are throwing different looks at him by combining Kirk Heinrich and John Salmons against the Captain. Heinrich bothers Pierce with his quickness and the ability to stay in front of him and strip him in the lane. Salmons on the other hand has the sufficient length so Paul cannot shoot over him effectively.

What Paul needs to do a better job of is recognizing earlier how to attack each one. He is taking way too long in his iso's to decide what to do thus giving the defender the edge. Against Heinrich, I expect a quick rythym turn around or something similar while against Salmons, I expect a quick first step blow by while looking for the double team. So far, Paul has been a count slow to attack and has often chosen the wrong way to go at each defender. He's trying to shoot over Salmons and trying to go by Kirk. The only exception was early on in game 2 3 where he looked like he knew whaat he wanted to do before he had the ball. I think if Paul goes back and looks at the tape, he will realize where he can pick his spots and be much more effective and less turnover prone throughout the rest of the series.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 02:03:40 PM by Greenbean »

Re: How Paul Pierce can get back on track
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 02:01:08 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
Rondo should give him a Red Bull.

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 02:05:36 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1676
****, I'm just imagining Paul Pierce doing the Jim Carrey scene from Yes Man after the game.

"Paul, you dropped 50 points tonight after struggling for most of the series.  What was the difference?"

"IneverhadaRedBullbeforeandIhadaRedBulllastnightandIreallylikeRedBull."

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 02:20:54 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
I think you are right. He is clearly indecisive on many plays. You can see that when he upfakes 2-3 times even when he has the open shot, and then hesitates too long to pass off on his drives. He needs to stop thinking and just play.

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 02:22:45 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
HGH?

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 02:24:34 PM »

Offline drza44

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 187
****, I'm just imagining Paul Pierce doing the Jim Carrey scene from Yes Man after the game.

"Paul, you dropped 50 points tonight after struggling for most of the series.  What was the difference?"

"IneverhadaRedBullbeforeandIhadaRedBulllastnightandIreallylikeRedBull."

There is truth in that.  When I was in college I didn't drink coffee, pop or tea and rarely ate chocolate.  Read: no caffeine in my system.  I did a science project with a girl who was a chain-coffee drinker: pop No Doze pills and see how it affected our EKG's.  For her, they didn't do much of anything.  But for me...

Long story short, the pills hit my system like a TRAIN.  I had track practice that afternoon, and I was on FIRE.  I felt like I was moving in fast-forward.  We did starts that day, and I smoked EVERYONE out of the blocks.  Even Ike, our sprinter that qualified for Nationals.  When my teammates asked what was up with me, I probably sounded a lot like Carrey did in that movie, lol.

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 02:30:38 PM »

Offline PRIDE

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 41
How can Paul Pierce get back on track?

GO TO THE RIM!!!

I've never seen Paul so hesitant to take the ball to the basket. His confidence looks shaken. Pierce is strong enough to score on anyone if he can get even with them. He is settling for way too many jumpers. Someone needs to get in his head and bring the aggression out of the man. He has looked soft so far this series.

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 03:14:05 PM »

Offline Jaycelt

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 7
GO TO THE RIM!!!

I've never seen Paul so hesitant to take the ball to the basket. His confidence looks shaken. Pierce is strong enough to score on anyone if he can get even with them. He is settling for way too many jumpers. Someone needs to get in his head and bring the aggression out of the man. He has looked soft so far this series.

Have you been watching the same series I have?  Pierce HAS taken to the rim and he can't buy a foul call.  This isn't just me saying this. Maxwell has mentioned it, Mark Jackson talked about it, of course Tommy. Even Bulls fans have mentioned it.  Charles Barkley joked about a shot he made that should have been an and 1 but wasn't.
  And it's not just going to the basket.  Three different times in three different games he pulled out his patteneted up fake, his defender jumped into him and no call. One was played over and over again the next day on sportscenter and each time it was asked....how was that not a foul?  Another one the guy clobbered him even harder and instead of getting the call they called him for traveling.

It's pretty much a given by now that the officials in this series just aren't going to give him anything.
His best game was game three where he finally just started making space and taking mid range jumpers and said the hell with putting it in the officials hands.

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 03:21:55 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
It is hard for PP to go to the rim when the refs are letting them play, because he relies on foul calls. He also needs to dribble less (Salmons has the same problem). They need more pick and rolls to get the Pierce-Gordon matchup, and Pierce can take his favorite jumper all day on him. This would work best if the person Gordan is defending is a good jumpshooter, like House or Ray.

I don't care for the Rondo picks since the switch is easier for the Bulls since they aren't worried about Pierce hitting Rondo for a quick jumper. If House or Ray set the pick, they have to switch quick so that the pickers don't get free for an open 3.

The other problem with the Rondo picks is that Rondo usually has Hinrich or Rose defending him, both of whom give Pierce more trouble than Gordon.

The Pierce jumper from the top of the key over a small guard is a very effective shot for him.

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 03:22:36 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
How can Paul Pierce get back on track?

GO TO THE RIM!!!

Uh, his problem is that he's taking it to the rim and turning it over since no fouls are being called/ he's losing the handle....
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2009, 03:55:23 PM »

Offline ThatsWhatSheSaid

• Open Roster Spot
  • Tommy Points: 0
It is hard for PP to go to the rim when the refs are letting them play, because he relies on foul calls. He also needs to dribble less (Salmons has the same problem). They need more pick and rolls to get the Pierce-Gordon matchup, and Pierce can take his favorite jumper all day on him. This would work best if the person Gordan is defending is a good jumpshooter, like House or Ray.

I don't care for the Rondo picks since the switch is easier for the Bulls since they aren't worried about Pierce hitting Rondo for a quick jumper. If House or Ray set the pick, they have to switch quick so that the pickers don't get free for an open 3.

The other problem with the Rondo picks is that Rondo usually has Hinrich or Rose defending him, both of whom give Pierce more trouble than Gordon.

The Pierce jumper from the top of the key over a small guard is a very effective shot for him.

I just discovered this site today while doing some reading on yesterday's game. This poster hit the nail on the head. It's exactly what I was screaming at the TV yesterday afternoon!

The Bulls exploited the C's on the pick and roll with Rose and as we all saw, he had his way when House had to switch out on him. I couldn't fathom why the C's weren't doing something similar. If Pierce had been setting the ball screen with Rondo, or even Ray Allen, I think the C's would have won going away. Pierce vs smaller guards is a phenomenal matchup for the C's and that's the way to get Pierce some easy shots and to get him back on track. Instead, we reverted back to the Walker/Pierce days when Pierce "posts up" on the wing at 18 ft and Rondo holds the ball and struggles to find the angle to pass the ball to him.

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 04:08:01 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
I think it would help Paul get back on track if the Bulls weren't allowed to hip check him underneath while simultaneously slapping him across the arms while he drove the lane.   ::)

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009, 04:18:38 PM »

Offline get_banners

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 100
pierce needs to iso less and let rondo dominate the ball. he'll get easier shots this way. oh, and it'd help if the refs starting calling fouls when pierce gets fouled, but in their defense, they've been too busy calling non-fouls fouls on us to call actual fouls on the bulls. it takes a lot of effort to make up calls, so i see why they're missing the actual fouls.

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2009, 04:38:25 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
Yep, PP is playin' against 40+ min on the floor, double-tripple team and the refs
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2009, 05:06:32 PM »

Offline TheReaLPuba

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
I honestly don't think Pierce is looking to score.

He's looking to pass and be a support player. He knows he's going to get doubled and is looking to get other guys opportunities.