Author Topic: The Pet Peeve Thread  (Read 11285 times)

Re: The Pet Peeve Thread
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2009, 08:32:15 PM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
The NBA marketing of individuals rather than teams, which results in disproportionate and irrational fan interest in certain players, rather than the team they play on.

I don't care who's wearing the Green. I want the Celtics to win. Period.

You took the words of my keyboard. That's my #1 problem with the NBA. Its a TEAM sport the obsession with individuals is ridiculous. Also, athleticism seems to be becoming an acceptable substitute for basketball IQ and fundamental skills and that irritates me no end.
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2009, 08:33:18 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
99% of women at sporting events. (I know there are a few exceptions) They aren't there because they are TRULY interested and fans like we are. They just view it as a social event. When they try to start talking about the game in order to pretend like they know something about it I want to backhand them... They are there because their husband or boyfriend didn't have the guts to take his buddy. Stupid friends...

add 60% of men to that as well
;D

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2009, 08:39:15 PM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
Sports broadcasters who can't pronounce Rajon Rondo's first name correctly. Especially when the broadcasters are regular members of the CSNE/Celtics broadcast team, or the WEEI/Celtics broadcast team.

Hubie is the worst offender. Its appalling. How hard is it to get the name right when the other commentator and the PA announcer are using the correct pronunciation? Rayjon, Tieshawn, Scalibrin, Rajul Butler ughhhh
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2009, 09:03:11 PM »

Offline RealTangiblesGuy

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 3
I'm gonna second the Lebron/Kobe/D-Wade talk.  Regardless of who is playing, what the score is, and whether the game is important or not, ESPN commentators inevitably break out into talking about things like the MVP, the best player, and the best closer.  If you watch the same broadcast crew twice in say, like a week, you will hear them talk about the same topics twice.  And it won't be that they've thought of some new argument since the last discussion and thus need to bring the topic up again.  Instead, its the same thing as last time.  Mark Jackson thinks Kobe is the best on the planet.  Van Gundy likes Lebron as the best but would take Kobe in the closing minutes of a game.  They repeat this every week.  Neither can get a job in the NBA.  Wow, I guess they're right.

GRRRRR.

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2009, 09:43:32 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I don't like it when people call ATMs "ATM Machines"...It's redundant
Yup

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2009, 10:03:02 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
When people respond in the SOTOT Thread.  >:(  ;D

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2009, 10:12:46 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
When people can't differentiate between "your" and "you're"...or another example - "their" and "they're". That drives me bonkers.

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2009, 10:46:42 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
When a player does some horrid thing and ends up on tv crying about committing adultery and their endorsements refuse to drop them and say something cop outish like "It's our policy to not comment on pending legal cases" 

Ok. i won't be buying that stuff

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2009, 01:55:20 AM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
The perpetuation of the idea that having perimeter defenders allow their men to blow by them is a tenet of the Celtics' defensive philosophy.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2009, 04:51:14 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

When people try to say three letter acronyms as words when they plainly are not. Examples:

"Atem" instead of A-T-M

"UN-Kuh" instead of "U-N-C"

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2009, 09:36:03 AM »

Offline Section 87

• NCE
  • Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 56

When people try to say three letter acronyms as words when they plainly are not. Examples:

"Atem" instead of A-T-M

"UN-Kuh" instead of "U-N-C"

When people call three-letter abbreviations "acronyms" when they plainly are not.
Examples:

ATM is not an acronym; it's just a three-letter abbreviation.
UNC is not an acronym; it's just a three-letter abbreviation.
NASA is an acronym; it's pronounced as a word rather than letter names.
Scuba is an acronym; it's pronounced as a word rather than letter names.

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2009, 09:05:15 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
taxes to a government that spends every single penny and way more by corrupt politicians that use it for their "projects" so they can get reelected and vote to give themselves pay raises

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2009, 09:09:59 PM »

Offline ToppersBsktball10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 27
  • Smooth As Silk.
When ppl on youtube talk about how the "celtics suck and kobe is god, oh and im not even a big kobe fan" when their screen name is something like ohiwishiwasthewhitegirl or KB24 or lakers09champs or kobe4mvp. when marbury doesnt take shots, or when pierce is too unselfish. or when the NBA is all over lebron and kobe's junk and when rondo walks it up when its a perfect chance to push the ball haha sorry taking out like 1% or my NBA frustration
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 09:45:29 PM by ToppersBsktball10 »

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2009, 09:24:41 PM »

Offline Tnerb02

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 18
I also hate it when Rondo walks the ball up the floor and when he attempts a bounce pass in traffic.

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2009, 09:27:31 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Let me add another:

People who've steadfastly contended all season that we had a good bench.

You're being exposed right now.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."