Author Topic: Allen/Pierce/House  (Read 6517 times)

Re: Allen/Pierce/House
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2008, 07:13:13 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
So what about these two, they helped you win all season, now you omit them...? Tony Allen is probably the Celtics best slasher, he always is good for a layup! Watching the celtics find it impossible to do anything except the one pass then an outside shot crap, put TA in...he will show you you can create a layup. And what is this one pass crap, we looked like cleveland there & they looked like us for a while!!! Now Eddie House, a greeat shooter and his defense is as good as Ray Allen's, now don't get me wrong, i love Ray Allen, but when his game is slumping put in Eddie, he can score, he can shoot, and he can defend. Towards the end of the season he came on as a very dependable defender. Doc, don't tighten up, these guys got you there. Use them all. You will not go far just without them, they are your change-up players!!! Oh, and Leon, heads up under the hoop, look at where the defense is. One more thing, PJ Brown on Ilgauskas, you don't put KG on him, you already lose Paul P on D, it is impossible to be effective on both ends of the floor. Give PJ a real job out there, he CAN do it you know!!!

tony allen isn't 1/10th of the slasher pierce is, can't shoot, and turns the ball over at nearly a 1 per 2 minute clip. He earned his spot on the pine. Those kind of guys cannot play extended minutes come playoff time. he's getting just what he should, 1-2 minute runs as a defender.

Eddie should be getting some minutes at the 2 however. but for some reason doc plays ray 44 minutes a night, even when a rest might benifit him (like last night)
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2008, 07:16:42 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Ray Allen on the other hand has been lukewarm all season and last night was about as bad as he can be, really has not been the shooter he was billed to be when we got him. In the beginning his rep for being a great shooter led everyone to write it off as getting settled in, well it's the playoffs he either needs to step up or have his minutes reduced.

See, I'm sorry, but this is just uninformed.

Ray had a great shooting year.

TS%: 58.4% (fourth best in his 12 year career, 1.3 better than career average)
eFG%: 53.7% (fourth best in his career, 1.8 better than career average)
3PT%: 39.8% (fifth best in his career, 0.1 better than career average)
FT%. 90.7% (second best in his career, 1.8 better than career average)

I'm not sure what the problem is.  His points are down, because he takes fewer shot attempts.  His overall field goal percentage was very slightly down (although it was his second best in the last six seasons, and within 0.1 of his career average) because he took a higher percentage of three-pointers this year.

After the all-star break, he shot a phenomenal 48.7% overall, and 44.4% from three.  For a shooting guard who concentrates on outside shots, those numbers are absolutely tremendous.

I'm not sure why people have the perception that Ray had an off year, but they couldn't be further from the truth.  I'm all for getting Eddie House some more playing time, and if that means very slightly cutting Ray's minutes, fine.  However, the idea that Ray hasn't performed over the course of the season is just completely off-base.

To me, I expected Ray to have a better offensive year then he did. Yes, the percentages are close to those he's posted during his carrer, but he's on a team where he's no longer the focus of the defense (of course your percentages aren't gonna be as high when you're getting doubled every possession). If you think about it, probably half of his shots were wide open looks this year. For some reason, it seems like he's been missing a lot of open shots this year. That being said, I would still rather have him on the floor rather then Eddie.

he's also clearly not the focus of his new offense you realize. it clearly goes kg>pierce> ray on a kick out. doc hardly EVER runs plays for him (ray is great at screens, ala rip hamilton, but we dont belive in screens apperntly  ::))

among third scorers in the league i believe he was one of the most efficient if not the most efficient.

as to him missing open shots, i'll let roys numbers speak for themselves, percentages don't lie.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2008, 08:33:17 AM »

Offline KevinIsSars

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 2
He's not the focus of the offense, so his ppg should go down, that I accept.

But when you're getting wide open looks because of double teams on KG or Paul, shouldn't your shooting percentages be significantly better? I was his numbers to be more like what Rip Hamilton did this year (~50% FG%, ~45% 3PFG%). Point being, despite the numbers provided by Roy he has had an off-year shooting wise and I think he would tell you that himself. I just hope it's a 1 year thing and not the beginning of a steady decline.

And all this stuff about him not being a spot up shooter...I don't buy it. When you're considered to have the purest shot in the game, knocking down open shots should be second nature. Even I can knock down 50% on 3s if I'm wide open, and I don't even get paid for it. When you're a professional bball player making $16 million a year, and you're known as an outside shooter, you shouldn't be missing as many outside shots as Ray did this year.

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2008, 08:54:44 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

But when you're getting wide open looks because of double teams on KG or Paul, shouldn't your shooting percentages be significantly better? I was his numbers to be more like what Rip Hamilton did this year (~50% FG%, ~45% 3PFG%). Point being, despite the numbers provided by Roy he has had an off-year shooting wise and I think he would tell you that himself. I just hope it's a 1 year thing and not the beginning of a steady decline.

Rip shot 48.4%/44.0%.  Ray shot 44.5%/39.8%.  That roughly 4% gap amounts to one additional basket for Rip every 25 shot attempts.

However, even more so than that, a much higher percentage of Ray's shots were three-pointers, which are by their very nature more difficult shots (45.9% of Ray's total shots were threes, while less than 14% of Rip's were).  As such, Ray actually had a higher eFG% (53.7 vs. 51.5) and TS% (58.4 vs. 55.2) than Rip did.  Ray scored more points on fewer shot attempts than Rip did, which should be the easiest way to show that Ray had a more efficient year.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2008, 10:38:07 AM »

Offline KevinIsSars

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 2

Rip shot 48.4%/44.0%.  Ray shot 44.5%/39.8%.  That roughly 4% gap amounts to one additional basket for Rip every 25 shot attempts.

However, even more so than that, a much higher percentage of Ray's shots were three-pointers, which are by their very nature more difficult shots (45.9% of Ray's total shots were threes, while less than 14% of Rip's were).  As such, Ray actually had a higher eFG% (53.7 vs. 51.5) and TS% (58.4 vs. 55.2) than Rip did.  Ray scored more points on fewer shot attempts than Rip did, which should be the easiest way to show that Ray had a more efficient year.

You and your numbers haha, point taken. I can't disagree with you. Numbers don't lie in bball. They don't tell the whole story though. He missed a lot of shots he should have hit, and he seemed to turn the ball over at the worst times (i.e. a 2-on-1 or 3-on-1 fast break). I still think he had a slight off-year and will be improved next season.