Author Topic: Tom Thibodeau  (Read 7531 times)

Tom Thibodeau
« on: May 01, 2008, 10:54:15 AM »

Offline ShakeNBake

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 4
As the hammer drops for some experienced head coaches around the league, I am very curious to see how this affects Thibodeau's status.  I know its selfish, but here's hoping he sticks around.

Re: Tom Thibodeau
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 11:00:28 AM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
If Cleveland can't close out the Wiz there may be a nice opening for TT there.

The longer the Celtics go in the playoffs the less patient teams may get waiting to fill their vacancies, but I'm guessing there are a few teams who will, at the very least, wait around for an interview with him.
Yup

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 11:18:24 AM »

Offline CDawg834

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
I think the Celtics may be in luck, as there are now some more coaches out there higher on a team's wish list.  Dallas and Phoenix getting knocked out may help the C's keep Thibodeau, as Avery has already gotten the boot, and Mike D'Antoni might be next.  If D'Antoni does get fired, I would think the Raptors would fire Sam Mitchell and grab him ASAP (we know Colangelo is a huge D'Antoni fan).

Most teams looking for a new coach would probably take those two before Thibodeau.  Here's hoping they do...

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 11:28:50 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I think the Knicks grab Avery before the Celtics leave the playoffs. 

I doubt Dallas grabs Thibodeau.  They will go for the bigger name.

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 08:15:16 PM »

Offline Triboy16

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 24
If the celts win it all this year , he will be offered numerous amount of contracts by other teams but if i were him i would want to stay with the celts for at least two more years as an assistant(win three in a row possibly). Reason is that you can get more money as a coach elswhere but howabout if the knicks want you, and even if you put the best coach to coach them they still stink?? In the nba unlike hockey you are given 1 or maybe two chances to coach a team and then you are done as a head coach. So if we win it all, try to win a couple of more, get more experience and have teams lineup to want your services. If the celts lose though before reaching the finals, then it could be beneficial for tom to look elsewhere to be a head coach.

i admit i'am also a little selfish to keep tom as an assistant, we need tom to stay as an assistant because doc doesn't cut it to take care of this team by himself. The celts if they win it all(or worst make it to the finals)they need to make tom one of the best paid assistance in the league (close to the lowest paid coach in the league)so he will stay a couple of more years

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 08:39:23 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I think it's unlikely he gets offered a head coaching job but good luck to the man
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 10:19:02 PM by Who »

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 09:42:59 PM »

Offline ForexPirate

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 19
he may get an offer here to be the next coach.  his title already is co-head coach or something like that.  maybe doc will hang it up rather than take that big pay cut next year and work for the team in a different capacity - player development would be perfect

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2008, 10:10:08 PM »

Offline KJ33

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 78
he may get an offer here to be the next coach.  his title already is co-head coach or something like that.  maybe doc will hang it up rather than take that big pay cut next year and work for the team in a different capacity - player development would be perfect

He is the Associate Head Coach, a notch above Assistant in the basketball coaching ranks.  While Tibs may be new to alot of Celtics fans, interesting since he is from Salem State which is local, he has already been well known in NBA circles for years, having guided many NBA teams' defenses very successfully.  I think people are misreading things that all of the sudden because the Celts won 66 games that he automatically has vaulted into the discussion of head jobs in the league.  If there was interest, it would have existed long before this season, he is not some well kept secret in the league. 

There have been many NBA assistants over the years who have coached 20+ years who for whatever reason, are just not suited to the first seat.  Few very few of these type have been given a chance, many have not, Tibs fits right into this category.  Many in the know, like Jeff Van Gundy, will say he "deserves" a head coach job in the NBA, but deserving it based on B-ball acumen, and getting an owner/GM to hire you are completely different things.  I don't think he passes the cachet test most teams want in making a big splash by hiring a new coach.  NBA coaches are rarely guys who have paid their dues and risen through the coaching ranks, more often they are the charismatic type, often former players, who are recognizable to the fan base and will get the respect of the current players, having played in the NBA themselves.

There is a reason Tom has been a career assistant, nothing to do with his basketball knowledge and ability, but for the aforementioned reasons.  One more good year, even with a 66 win team, is not going to change the job market for him significantly.

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2008, 08:22:02 AM »

Offline Triboy16

• Bill Walton

He is the Associate Head Coach, a notch above Assistant in the basketball coaching ranks.  While Tibs may be new to alot of Celtics fans, interesting since he is from Salem State which is local, he has already been well known in NBA circles for years, having guided many NBA teams' defenses very successfully.  I think people are misreading things that all of the sudden because the Celts won 66 games that he automatically has vaulted into the discussion of head jobs in the league.  If there was interest, it would have existed long before this season, he is not some well kept secret in the league. 

There have been many NBA assistants over the years who have coached 20+ years who for whatever reason, are just not suited to the first seat.  Few very few of these type have been given a chance, many have not, Tibs fits right into this category.  Many in the know, like Jeff Van Gundy, will say he "deserves" a head coach job in the NBA, but deserving it based on B-ball acumen, and getting an owner/GM to hire you are completely different things.  I don't think he passes the cachet test most teams want in making a big splash by hiring a new coach.  NBA coaches are rarely guys who have paid their dues and risen through the coaching ranks, more often they are the charismatic type, often former players, who are recognizable to the fan base and will get the respect of the current players, having played in the NBA themselves.

There is a reason Tom has been a career assistant, nothing to do with his basketball knowledge and ability, but for the aforementioned reasons.  One more good year, even with a 66 win team, is not going to change the job market for him significantly.

your points are interesting and i can see what you mean. But you might be underestimating his value regardless if he is considered a life long assistant material. We just came off the year with the best record and the tighest defense measures. Doc maybe had 55 percent credit for that, keeping players in check and like you suggested "having that charisma", but the rest of the credit goes to tom (of course other assistants as well).

A Young talented teams who needs discipline on learning good defense and/or a team like denver who have all the talent but not much discipline on defense would highly benefit with a new coach like thom.

In my opinion there are three teams already interested in his services new york, miami, and maybe even dallas.

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2008, 10:04:19 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Most teams will go after the big name to get fans excited.

That's why we keep hearing about former players that have never coached. 

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2008, 10:26:42 AM »

Offline TrueGreen

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 22
The only firing I can think of by someone who really knows about basketball is Donnie Walsh firing Isiah Thomas. The rest seem to have been by the Mark Cuban types. I hope Tom Thibodeau doesn't work for those people. He's too good for them. I also have a theory that Doc may not return after next year and possibly even next year. He wanted a contract extension for next year because he thought being a "lame duck" coach would be bad for the team, especially, the team he had at the time. The contract he signed was not one that would be signed by a Coach who intended to be here long-term. In addition, Dave Wohl was moved from assistant coach to Danny's assistant. Doc wanted his contract to coincide with Danny's (not sure if Danny's contract goes into next year). My guess, especially if the C's win the Championship this year is that both Doc and Danny will retire so they can spend more time with their families and that Dave Wohl will take over for Danny and Tom Thibodeau for Doc. I have exactly nothing to back this up.

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2008, 10:30:14 AM »

Offline BCelts

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 13
I think it's unlikely he gets offered a head coaching job but good luck to the man

I think just the opposite.  I think ti is very likely he will be offered a few jobs, and we can only hope he stays and "risks it" with us for a better job possibility down the road.

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2008, 01:57:17 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Mark "Ham 'n Baloney" Ivaroni is staying in Memphis

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2008, 02:03:24 PM »

Offline Triboy16

• Bill Walton
No way Danny and Doc will retire after next year. Doc hasn't even coached that long and i doubt danny will rest without winning some more titles.

If doc is gone, thibadeua will be a great replacement. When he talks in huddles, you can see players listening to him. Unlike doc where kg can overtalk his messages. I mean thast sort of sad

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2008, 02:19:51 PM »

Offline shookones99

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 73
No way Danny and Doc will retire after next year. Doc hasn't even coached that long and i doubt danny will rest without winning some more titles.

If doc is gone, thibadeua will be a great replacement. When he talks in huddles, you can see players listening to him. Unlike doc where kg can overtalk his messages. I mean thast sort of sad

What are you talking about?  I hope your not basing this off of that one video clip where KG is yelling to the team? ::)  All of the players seem to love Doc and listen to him.  Hasn't the knock on Thibodeau been that he is a poor communicator?
When I'm in the gym...I like to grunt when  I get my swell on... That way everyone can see how jacked and tan I am.