Author Topic: Is Jaylen Brown still a Celtic?  (Read 18906 times)

Re: Is Jaylen Brown still a Celtic?
« Reply #60 on: October 24, 2018, 08:11:16 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
will Brad put Gordon on the bench or will Gordon have to volunteer for the role?
You don't bench your best player.  Hayward is Boston's best player, he needs to be in the starting lineup.  If you tinker with the starting lineup at all you either move Tatum or Brown to the bench (for Morris or Smart).  Lesser players, but may very well be a better fit and would allow the younger guy more free reign leading the bench unit. 

I actually think moving Brown to the bench would do him a lot of good and would also help Smart, so I'd start Irving, Smart, Hayward, Tatum, and Horford and let Brown have a bit more free reign and a more defined role where he can have the ball in his hand a bit more.  Smart can then just be the defensive stopper and not worry about offense at all, which is what I think his role really should be (he tries to hard offensively on the 2nd unit). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #61 on: October 24, 2018, 09:25:10 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
will Brad put Gordon on the bench or will Gordon have to volunteer for the role?
You don't bench your best player.  Hayward is Boston's best player, he needs to be in the starting lineup.  If you tinker with the starting lineup at all you either move Tatum or Brown to the bench (for Morris or Smart).  Lesser players, but may very well be a better fit and would allow the younger guy more free reign leading the bench unit. 

I actually think moving Brown to the bench would do him a lot of good and would also help Smart, so I'd start Irving, Smart, Hayward, Tatum, and Horford and let Brown have a bit more free reign and a more defined role where he can have the ball in his hand a bit more.  Smart can then just be the defensive stopper and not worry about offense at all, which is what I think his role really should be (he tries to hard offensively on the 2nd unit).

Bring Brown and Rozier off the bench together for Irving and Tatum. Let them change the game and bring the energy.

« Reply #62 on: October 24, 2018, 09:26:33 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Does anybody remember Lebron’s first season with the Heat? Everybody was tentative with their roles, including Lebron and Wade. Too much deference to others.

That’s what we’re seeing here. Either Kyrie or Hayward needs to step up as the alpha.

It's what it reminds me of as well. Guys are doing fake drives where they only drive to kick it back out. They don't even reach the paint sometimes. Need a few guys to establish themselves. Kyrie has started to do it but is missing shots. Morris is doing it, but we don't want him to most of the time. Hayward might not be ready for a month or two. Tatum might not have the leeway with coaches and teammates yet. It's not Rozier's role and Brown isn't enough of a playmaker to do it. Smart can't shoot well enough.

Clearly, this is all leading to an MVP season from Yabu as soon as he realizes it's all on him.

« Reply #63 on: October 24, 2018, 09:29:32 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

Bring Brown and Rozier off the bench together for Irving and Tatum. Let them change the game and bring the energy.

Not a bad strategy. The starting backcourt of last year's conference finals team coming off your bench together. Smart bolstering the first unit's defense. Could be the plan.

« Reply #64 on: October 24, 2018, 09:52:49 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

I think that team is way too small with Rozier, Smart, Hayward, Brown, and Horford.  Now maybe you also bring Morris in for Hayward at the same time and that might work.

« Reply #65 on: October 24, 2018, 01:07:01 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think if Brown or Tatum go to the bench they would be replaced by Around Baynes rather than Morris or Smart. Baynes off/on court defensive numbers are unreal. Stevens moving a great defender into the lineup while sending a young scorer to the bench would seem to make sense.

That said, I don't think Stevens does it. I think he is hoping his current small lineup will get so well offensively that over teams will change to try to stop them.

« Reply #66 on: October 24, 2018, 01:24:40 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 740
I think if Brown or Tatum go to the bench they would be replaced by Around Baynes rather than Morris or Smart. Baynes off/on court defensive numbers are unreal. Stevens moving a great defender into the lineup while sending a young scorer to the bench would seem to make sense.

That said, I don't think Stevens does it. I think he is hoping his current small lineup will get so well offensively that over teams will change to try to stop them.

exactly, IF they could actually gel and all play to their potential then the opponent would have to adjust, just hasn't happened yet.  did anyone notice that last pre-season we played really well, ball movement was great.  I was really excited then but this preseason it didn't look as good.  we expected them to turn it around once the regular season starts, not yet

« Reply #67 on: October 24, 2018, 01:27:29 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
He is, and it's his BIRTHDAY!!!

Birthday Happy, Jaylen. Very Birthday Happy.

« Reply #68 on: October 26, 2018, 06:22:59 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
He looks so lost out there.  I really think he needs to come off the bench with Smart starting.  The starters could use Smart's toughness and Brown just needs to be in a spot where he is more the focal point so he can get the touches he needs to find his groove.

« Reply #69 on: October 26, 2018, 06:26:10 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
He looks so lost out there.  I really think he needs to come off the bench with Smart starting.  The starters could use Smart's toughness and Brown just needs to be in a spot where he is more the focal point so he can get the touches he needs to find his groove.
This is we're I'm at too. I think Brown is the one from the starters that should be on the bench, for either Baynes or Smart. I think he got too used to getting lots of shots early with Kyrie and GH down, and hasn't adjusted to being the 4th/5th option
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #70 on: October 27, 2018, 08:28:11 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Brown finally looks good.  Don't think it is a coincidence that he is getting a lot of touches as Irving is taking a back seat a bit.  For that reason, I do think Brown should be coming off the bench when he will have a lot more free reign to shoot.

« Reply #71 on: October 27, 2018, 08:35:33 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
Yes. Yes he is.
#JKJB

« Reply #72 on: October 27, 2018, 09:29:53 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Yes. Yes he is.
and that is a good thing for the celtics.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #73 on: October 27, 2018, 09:32:33 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Before tonight Jaylen was 8th on the team in touches. Could be a reason he has struggled after being a #2 option last year.

« Reply #74 on: October 28, 2018, 08:51:45 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Before tonight Jaylen was 8th on the team in touches. Could be a reason he has struggled after being a #2 option last year.
This is what I've been saying and why I don't like Brown starting.  He is a better player when he has the ball more and he just isn't going to have many nights where he is getting the ball a lot in the starting unit.