Poll

Who you got at #14? (players are listed in random order)

Tyrell Terry
13 (24.5%)
Patrick Williams
6 (11.3%)
Precious Achiuwa
4 (7.5%)
R.J. Hampton
4 (7.5%)
Aleksej Pokusevski
3 (5.7%)
Saddiq Bey
5 (9.4%)
Jalen Smith
4 (7.5%)
Aaron Nesmith
8 (15.1%)
Kira Lewis Jr.
3 (5.7%)
Cole Anthony
2 (3.8%)
other (please name below and I'll include him in the poll)
1 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: Who You Got with the 14th Pick? (Poll added)  (Read 117031 times)

Re: Who You Got with the 14th Pick?
« Reply #240 on: September 14, 2020, 12:24:53 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Any chance of the Celtics getting Patrick Williams? Would love to somehow end up with him.

There are several comparisons of PW to OG Anunoby

And from what I have seen he is a passive behind the scenes blue collar type. 

Not bad for a pick i  the 20s. But I think the Celts should aim higher at 14

« Reply #241 on: September 14, 2020, 12:34:05 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Any chance of the Celtics getting Patrick Williams? Would love to somehow end up with him.

I'd like to have another blue collar player...Smart needs some help in that department.  Of course talent is the main question...so we'll see..

« Reply #242 on: September 14, 2020, 12:35:38 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

I'd like to have another blue collar player...Smart needs some help in that department.  Of course talent is the main question...so we'll see..

Patrick Williams looks like a Markieff Morris or Wilson Chandler in their prime type of ceiling.

« Reply #243 on: September 14, 2020, 12:37:23 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I like to draft up for Hayes or Vassell if possible. Other than them I really like Achiuwa (very intrigued by his defensive potential, Siakam-light?), but I worry that he's not the type of player that would flourish under Stevens.

A player that I think could be a great fit for the Celtics is Tyler Bey (strong rebounder, Anunoby/Covington type). Too high at 14 I suppose and better to be picked at 26?

Someone here is very high on Paul Reed, but can he play next a center (like Theis/Timelord)? I'm pretty sure from the videos on Youtube that Jalen Smith can't, so despite his 3-point-shot, I don't want him as our newly drafted PF.

Mocks are still all over the place. Lots of guards available at 14, but I don't have someone standing out right now.
On defence I think Reed would thrive next to Theis or Williams with his activity and length, and could play centre for minutes (think a bigger Rob Covington). On offence it might be tricky though, given his passing is still improving, as is his shooting.

I don't know how of an issue that would be if we have Kemba, JT, JB and Hayward all healthy though. He'd be my guy at #26.

One thing is for sure - there is more uncertainty with this draft than any I can remember

How is Reed passing and IQ?

Only reason I would think twice about drafting Achiuwa is "siakam" factor. Silly mistakes and turnovers.  A little out of control

I'm with you on Achiuwa's "siakam" factor. I see a player who will have an impact on the game by sheer force of energy. I think he also has a lot of skills, but they are rough and undefined. If you could get a Siakim-type player at 14, and then keep him in a natural high-energy, high-efficiency role-player role, then that's a good pick.

True.  Achiuwa decision making will need to be limited/spoon fed(at first/grow into).  The question is, will he listen? Is he willing to sacrifice..

« Reply #244 on: September 14, 2020, 12:42:25 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420

He wins my "fits the Celtics like a glove" award.  Large bunches of mintues at PF for the C's for years on end...bench or starter...eventual starter.

I agree P Williams in theory is a great future pick. I see him as a higher ceiling prospect in the same niche as Grant Williams. Both have enough mobility to play some perimeter defense but would struggle as a full time wing. As a small ball 5 P Will like Grant should excel in P&R and providing weak side rim protection. While P Williams is still very young and not the polished high IQ player Grant is his higher ceiling comes from his projected superior perimeter shooting and obviously superior vertical explosion.

I picture 100% ceiling P Williams as Marvin Williams on offence and a 6'8 Ibaka on D. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #245 on: September 14, 2020, 02:22:23 PM »

Online gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

He wins my "fits the Celtics like a glove" award.  Large bunches of mintues at PF for the C's for years on end...bench or starter...eventual starter.

I agree P Williams in theory is a great future pick. I see him as a higher ceiling prospect in the same niche as Grant Williams. Both have enough mobility to play some perimeter defense but would struggle as a full time wing. As a small ball 5 P Will like Grant should excel in P&R and providing weak side rim protection. While P Williams is still very young and not the polished high IQ player Grant is his higher ceiling comes from his projected superior perimeter shooting and obviously superior vertical explosion.

I picture 100% ceiling P Williams as Marvin Williams on offence and a 6'8 Ibaka on D.

At the very least I imagine they could just tell him to copy Theis for the next couple of years. But his ceiling really is much higher, I think.

« Reply #246 on: September 14, 2020, 02:40:14 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

At the very least I imagine they could just tell him to copy Theis for the next couple of years. But his ceiling really is much higher, I think.

Would be nice if he grew one more inch and slowly morphed into Paul Millsap part II...

« Reply #247 on: September 14, 2020, 03:03:19 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
I really like Patrick Williams and his potential as a defender and even a scorer, but he is quite raw. He'll need a good organization like us to help him develop his skills, so I'd be happy to draft him. However, I think he might be gone by 14.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #248 on: September 14, 2020, 03:29:25 PM »

Online gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

Would be nice if he grew one more inch and slowly morphed into Paul Millsap part II...

Is he not already Millsap's size? Millsap was measure 6'7 1/4 when drafted. Listed at 6'7" now with the new measurements. Patrick Williams is listed at 6'8, but may be 6'7 without shoes?

« Reply #249 on: September 14, 2020, 04:09:29 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I still want Nesmith.  Shooting is such a necessity in our offense.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #250 on: September 14, 2020, 05:17:10 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
I still want Nesmith.  Shooting is such a necessity in our offense.
Totally agree with this comment. Some people expect a "starter". I say we need, because we lack, a shooter/scorer off the bench. We wouldn't have this problem if Pat f'n Riley didn't screw DA by picking Herro this past draft. Nesmith showed he can shoot at a high rate this past season. Too bad he didn't play all year. But then again, it could be a blessing for whatever team picks him.

« Reply #251 on: September 18, 2020, 03:01:04 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Likely not going 14th... but I was predicting Danny could be interested in Scrubb

Chris Grenham: Top JUCO recruit Jay Scrubb made a great impression on the Celtics during their virtual pre-draft meeting, per source. Scrubb was committed to Louisville before opting to stay in the draft this spring. Solid 3-and-D potential with great athleticism. Really intriguing prospect

« Reply #252 on: September 18, 2020, 10:43:53 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Likely not going 14th... but I was predicting Danny could be interested in Scrubb

Chris Grenham: Top JUCO recruit Jay Scrubb made a great impression on the Celtics during their virtual pre-draft meeting, per source. Scrubb was committed to Louisville before opting to stay in the draft this spring. Solid 3-and-D potential with great athleticism. Really intriguing prospect
I'd be happy taking him in the 2nd round
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #253 on: September 18, 2020, 10:47:49 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

Don't we have enough scrubbs on our bench?

couldn't resist....

« Reply #254 on: September 18, 2020, 11:28:22 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Don't we have enough scrubbs on our bench?

couldn't resist....
This scrubb is the Jay Scrubb though :laugh:
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA