Poll

Who you got at #14? (players are listed in random order)

Tyrell Terry
13 (24.5%)
Patrick Williams
6 (11.3%)
Precious Achiuwa
4 (7.5%)
R.J. Hampton
4 (7.5%)
Aleksej Pokusevski
3 (5.7%)
Saddiq Bey
5 (9.4%)
Jalen Smith
4 (7.5%)
Aaron Nesmith
8 (15.1%)
Kira Lewis Jr.
3 (5.7%)
Cole Anthony
2 (3.8%)
other (please name below and I'll include him in the poll)
1 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: Who You Got with the 14th Pick? (Poll added)  (Read 118625 times)

Re: Who You Got with the 14th Pick?
« Reply #210 on: September 08, 2020, 02:14:33 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
based on potential (like Langford).  Ranked highly before the season started but didn't have the season many expected.  Two players at the top of the list would be RJ Hampton and Cole Anthony.   I wouldn't be surprised if Danny took either at the draft. A few posters in this forum are also fans of these prospects.  Celts could use pg depth next season/protege to succeed Walker eventually

14. RJ Hampton or Cole Anthony
Hampton is longer and is a terror on the open court.  Ability to guard 1 to 3.  Needs to refine half court game.  Anthony is a very good half court/pnr player. Sneaky Athleticism.  Question mark about defensive motor and versatility

26.  Isaiah Stewart or Jalen Smith   
Smith is Theis like. But minus passing skills and not as good motor/physicality.  Smith is a slightly better rebounder and shooter.  Lower body strength and strength overall needs work. But still young.  Isaiah Stewart is one of the strongest players in the draft.  Long wingspan (7'4) and huge hands.  Top end motor with ability to come up with clutch offensive rebounds late in games.   Reminds me of a cross between Tristan Thompson and Derrick Favors.  Makes some silly mistakes/turnovers/overly aggressive offensive fouls.   3 point shot needs work.  But shot 74 percent at the FT last season.   Perimeter defense needs work but unlike Kanter can explode and block jump shots in close proximity.  In terms of pure fit,  Smith would probably be the favorite. 

30. Desmond Bane or Immanuel Quickley or Isaiah Joe or Killian Tillie  (3 and D player.  All are sharpshooters with stats to back it up)
47.  International draft and stash

If we walked away from this draft with Hampton, Smith and Bane I would be very happy.

« Reply #211 on: September 08, 2020, 02:26:05 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
based on potential (like Langford).  Ranked highly before the season started but didn't have the season many expected.  Two players at the top of the list would be RJ Hampton and Cole Anthony.   I wouldn't be surprised if Danny took either at the draft. A few posters in this forum are also fans of these prospects.  Celts could use pg depth next season/protege to succeed Walker eventually

Hampton is longer and is a terror on the open court.  Ability to guard 1 to 3.  Needs to refine half court game.  Anthony is a very good half court/pnr player. Sneaky Athleticism.  Question mark about defensive motor and versatility

Smith is Theis like. But minus passing skills and not as good motor/physicality.  Smith is a slightly better rebounder and shooter.  Lower body strength and strength overall needs work. But still young.  Isaiah Stewart is one of the strongest players in the draft.  Long wingspan (7'4) and huge hands.  Top end motor with ability to come up with clutch offensive rebounds late in games.   Reminds me of a cross between Tristan Thompson and Derrick Favors.  Makes some silly mistakes/turnovers/overly aggressive offensive fouls.   3 point shot needs work.  But shot 74 percent at the FT last season.   Perimeter defense needs work but unlike Kanter can explode and block jump shots in close proximity.  In terms of pure fit,  Smith would probably be the favorite. 

30. Desmond Bane or Immanuel Quickley or Isaiah Joe or Killian Tillie  (3 and D player.  All are sharpshooters with stats to back it up)

I'm in on Anthony or Hampton. Both guys could be really good and it would be ideal to have a player developing for Wanamaker's minutes.

I'm out on Stewart or Smith. Both guys look like end of the bench bigs to me at best. Stewart looks like a worse Kyle O'Quinn. Smith like a Noah Vonleh at best. Both will take several years to reach their end-of-the-bench potential, which means they won't contribute much in the meantime. That's just my scouting report on them. I'd rather draft and stash Bolmaro, or take a swing on a player like Cassius Stanley or Elijah Hughes or Grant Riler. I know that doesn't get us another big like most fans want, but I think there is a lot more talent there that we can get than those guys.

I'm in on your next pick of 3-D player. Pick one. I like Ramsey if he falls. Bane, Bey, Quickley are all other options. I don't like Tillie as much, but I'd be fine with him.

I don't care too much at 47. Draft and stash sounds fine. If a high-level talent dropped, then I'd take them there and see what they can do.

If at 26 a non big is a better way to go... like Balmaro ...you could draft and stash

I think you are looking for higher bbiq bigs. And I can understand this.

Its too bad Kaleb Wesson wasnt more mobile/explosive/liability on D.  Because his shooting and passing is very modern.  If Celts draft him at 46 and can someonehow improve his mobility/agility... could be a nice role big

« Reply #212 on: September 08, 2020, 02:27:49 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

If we walked away from this draft with Hampton, Smith and Bane I would be very happy.

Yup. Hampton take over Wannamaker in a year or two. Smith for Theis. Bane for Semi

« Reply #214 on: September 08, 2020, 04:14:56 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

« Reply #215 on: September 08, 2020, 06:37:32 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87

« Reply #216 on: September 08, 2020, 07:00:28 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Bane shooting drill.

https://twitter.com/MavsDraft/status/1130954030757269504?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1130954030757269504%7Ctwgr%5Eshare_3&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fhoopshype.com%2F2020%2F04%2F09%2F2020-nba-draft-stock-desmond-bane-tcu-horned-frogs%2F
Bane always reminded me of a bigger Microwave. Can put up points in bunches and is thick and strong, can absorb contact.

Different player than Semi, imo.

Yeah, I totally see Bane as a Microwave scorer off the bench. Bane is also a good passer.

« Reply #217 on: September 09, 2020, 01:25:15 AM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Why is the NBA moving the Draft? They should've already had it. What possible reason is there to move it back even further?

« Reply #218 on: September 09, 2020, 02:30:42 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Why is the NBA moving the Draft? They should've already had it. What possible reason is there to move it back even further?

Sounds like COVID reason. They can’t guarantee to be able to put butts in seats, it makes up some thing like 40% of rev according to the article. But they were already looking at partial seating to begin with. It may change if a vaccine is out this fall, but the start may be later dec or into Jan or feb. plus they lost a few days when they stopped those few days, so everything like the draft had to be shifted a bit, they still think the draft will be in Oct, they only moved FA a couple days.

« Reply #219 on: September 09, 2020, 02:41:14 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

Sounds like COVID reason. They can’t guarantee to be able to put butts in seats, it makes up some thing like 40% of rev according to the article. But they were already looking at partial seating to begin with. It may change if a vaccine is out this fall, but the start may be later dec or into Jan or feb. plus they lost a few days when they stopped those few days, so everything like the draft had to be shifted a bit, they still think the draft will be in Oct, they only moved FA a couple days.

It's probably because none of the candidates have been able to work out with/for any team due to Covid restrictions by state. And with the season start being moved, they figured might as well move the draft and give everyone more time rather than hold it in the middle of the bubble and take attention away from that. For the teams still in the bubble, their focus is on the playoffs and not on next year. Right now I think we want Brad thinking about how to beat Toronto and then Miami if we get that far, not who he thinks the 14th pick will be. Though I'm sure they already have a good idea, why hold it earlier than it needs to be?

That said, fans probably have a different view, we obviously wanna know NOW  :police:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #220 on: September 09, 2020, 07:42:14 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

It's probably because none of the candidates have been able to work out with/for any team due to Covid restrictions by state. And with the season start being moved, they figured might as well move the draft and give everyone more time rather than hold it in the middle of the bubble and take attention away from that. For the teams still in the bubble, their focus is on the playoffs and not on next year. Right now I think we want Brad thinking about how to beat Toronto and then Miami if we get that far, not who he thinks the 14th pick will be. Though I'm sure they already have a good idea, why hold it earlier than it needs to be?

That said, fans probably have a different view, we obviously wanna know NOW  :police:
In principle, Brad's focus can remain with the playoffs.  Danny Ainge will do the drafting and doesn't need much (or any) input from Brad.  BPA is still the dominant drafting factor for good teams with fewer weaknesses.

« Reply #221 on: September 09, 2020, 09:00:58 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

In principle, Brad's focus can remain with the playoffs.  Danny Ainge will do the drafting and doesn't need much (or any) input from Brad.  BPA is still the dominant drafting factor for good teams with fewer weaknesses.

A lot of GMs are in the bubble.  Danny isn’t, but Mike Zarren is for the Celts.  Other teams have varying levels of management there.  Preparing for the draft isn’t necessarily feasible under those circumstances.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #222 on: September 13, 2020, 11:04:09 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Flip flopping back and forth on Celts potential picks

Liking Nesmith and Saddiq Bey at 14

« Reply #223 on: September 13, 2020, 11:48:35 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

I'm resigned to BPA, as we (and every other team) can always go for another good shooting wing, a multi-positional center and a PG.  One of each of those types will be available at 14.

« Reply #224 on: September 13, 2020, 12:07:09 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

I'm resigned to BPA, as we (and every other team) can always go for another good shooting wing, a multi-positional center and a PG.  One of each of those types will be available at 14.

BPA is by definition?

Bc a bpa per skills may have a poor attitude/uncoachable/big headed

I have read there is a little baggage attached to Hampton. Complains calls with refs. Overconfidence. Maybe just a maturity issue

Heard nothing bad about Nesmith and Saddiq Bey.

Bey is an intriguing package. Reminds me a bit of Crowder game but at 6'8.  Versatile and solid shooter, ball handler.  Nesmith is 6'6  with a 6'10 wingspan. One of the best pure shooters. Comparable to a Mikael Bridges of the Suns

In order to obtain one of these players wouldnt be surprised if Danny packaged one of the other 1st picks, to move up a few spots. Spurs for example need more depth in their lineup.