Author Topic: NBA Stars and end of careers  (Read 1753 times)

NBA Stars and end of careers
« on: November 13, 2018, 02:30:13 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Do people feel like Carmelo bouncing around from team to team will have a negative impact on how people remember his career?

I was trying to remember many players with Carmelo's pedigree that have ended their career like Carmelo appears to be so quickly (can he even find a team now?) .

Carmelo was a 10 time all-star including very recently in 2017, 6-time all NBA. Now appears to be moving towards 3rd team in 4 months and may be unplayable.

This seems the most similar to McGrady bouncing around from Knicks, Detroit and Atlanta the last few years, but that was largely tied to a major injury. Wade appeared to be in danger of heading on this path, but returned back to Miami after trying to go to Cleveland following Miami.

You do see players like Pierce and Carter doing this at the very end of their careers, but it seems more common to do when a player is far removed from being a star and is quite old. Pierce played for his 3rd team at age 37, Carter started bouncing around at 34 too, but his last all-star game was in 2007 and he seemed to have really slowed from athleticism.

Re: NBA Stars and end of careers
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 02:40:12 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'd say most people tend to bypass the tail end of NBA career stuff.  I mean its happened with so many greats over the years and those latter teams mostly seem to fall by the wayside.  Stuff like Hakeem on the Raptors or Ewing on the Magic.  Those stuff are blips that hardly ever get noticed.

'Melo is so polarizing that I'm sure people will mention the bouncing around near the end but I still most will remember him for the Nuggets & Knicks stuff. 

Main body of work type stuff seems to rise to the top.  (I also hesitate to utter 'Melo in the same breath as some of the greats of the game, but I digress).

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 02:59:02 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
I don't think Carmelo bouncing around will have negative impact on he's remembered, but I think him bouncing around unsuccessfully will to a small extent, because it will just reinforce the negative aspects of Carmelo that his detractors had been saying for years: not a team player, selfish, can get you stats but not wins, etc.

Overall, I don't think it really matters, as I can think of a few guys who bounced around late in their careers with seemingly no negative impact on how they're remembered now:  Iverson, Dominque, Hakeem, Ewing, Shaq, Pippen, Rodman, etc.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2018, 04:24:54 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I don't think Carmelo bouncing around will have negative impact on he's remembered, but I think him bouncing around unsuccessfully will to a small extent, because it will just reinforce the negative aspects of Carmelo that his detractors had been saying for years: not a team player, selfish, can get you stats but not wins, etc.

Overall, I don't think it really matters, as I can think of a few guys who bounced around late in their careers with seemingly no negative impact on how they're remembered now:  Iverson, Dominque, Hakeem, Ewing, Shaq, Pippen, Rodman, etc.

I actually thought about a lot of those guys when I was thinking about this, and with perhaps the exception of Iverson (who I had forgotten about and is a great comparison), they all seemed to have really gradual declines from superstar, to star, to effective role player.. to out of league. For the most part, despite some advancements in in surgery, injury recovery, rest and nutrition, these guys also last a lot longer than it appears Melo will (if not due to injury).

Ewing was 38 in Seattle and 39 in Orlando.
Hakeem was 39 in Toronto
Shaq was 35 when he finally got traded to Phoenix and stopped being an allstar caliber player.
Rodman was 37 when he finally stopped being good with the lakers.
Wilkins was 35 when he got to the Celtics and ruptured his Achilles already in his 30's.

Carmello just turned 34 in May and appears to be completely unplayable. By comparison he is one year older than Chris Paul, 6 months older than Lebron.

I think the difference is that Anthony did no work to extend his career like some other players did (like Paul Pierce with his old man as his athleticism faded), so he went from a near star player to being incapable of being a role player. Interesting the guy who is a great comparison has come out and supported Melo

https://heavy.com/sports/2018/11/allen-iverson-carmelo-anthony/

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2018, 04:35:26 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Will anyone even remember him on the rockets? They've played like 12 games and he's on the way out lol

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2018, 04:41:00 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2018, 04:50:05 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95_umq1mtmc

This has to be up there with AI’s legendary “practice” press conference.

I think it sums up his career, delusional and egomaniacal.

I mean this just HAS to end with him joining the Lakers, no?
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2018, 05:57:28 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Melo Rockets is gonna be a great hoopster jersey at music festivals in 3-5 years.

Those types of jerseys are really well respected in the hoopster community.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2018, 10:14:24 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
2 things:

1) Vince has gone on record saying that one of his primary goals is to teach younger dudes. Maybe Atlanta were the only ones willing to give him a deal, and so his statements are just convenient, but he is a MEGA rich dude, with no real need for vet min paycheck. He is still productive on limited minutes there..

2) Pierce definitely went ring chasing with Washington, but was still extremely productive.

Melo is the most anti-basketballer in memory who belongs in LA.

"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2018, 02:38:01 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
I think Melo was overrated for most of his career.

Taking money over winning, his general "diva" stance, his inability to play a lesser role effectively, all of that showed us that he misses the mental makeup as well as some versatility.
Once his scoring ability diminished - there was nothing left to cheer for. Just (Melo)drama.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 02:44:43 AM by Androslav »
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2018, 06:44:32 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
2 things:

1) Vince has gone on record saying that one of his primary goals is to teach younger dudes. Maybe Atlanta were the only ones willing to give him a deal, and so his statements are just convenient, but he is a MEGA rich dude, with no real need for vet min paycheck. He is still productive on limited minutes there..

2) Pierce definitely went ring chasing with Washington, but was still extremely productive.

Melo is the most anti-basketballer in memory who belongs in LA.
I love what Vince is doing.  He's also on record as saying that he loves to play basketball and joins teams where he will get minutes and have a significant role.  To me that is very refreshing.  Everyone else seems to want to sit on a bench and try to get a championship handed to them.  I love that Carter loves to play basketball.

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2018, 08:57:01 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Anthony is in year 16.  So while he is only 34, he has started fading around the same amount of years of many greats.  Ewing for example, was 38 in his 16th year (his 1 year in Seattle) and was out of the league after the following year when he played under 14 mpg (his 1 year in Orlando).  Hakeem's 16th year he was 37 and down to 10/6 in 24 mpg.  Jordan only played 15 seasons in his entire career and retired twice during that time.

Anthony is just old and he has had a pretty steady decline from his 10th season on.  I mean here are his ppg from that season to now 28.7, 27.4, 24.2, 21.8, 22.4, 16.2, 13.4.  His minutes have been declining during that time.  His PER and TS% have steadily been declining.  He didn't just wake up one day and forget how to play.  His has been taking the pretty normal path of decreasing ability for years.  This is what happens to most players, especially when you start looking at 15 seasons and beyond.

The simple reality is there are occasionally athletic freaks like Lebron, the Mailman, Duncan, Kobe, and Kareem that defy their age and stay super productive past 15 seasons (to varying degrees of success and health), but those guys really are rare. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2018, 09:53:12 AM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I have not seen the Rockets play this season, so I can’t comment on Carmelo’s ability to still play. However, my first reaction to hearing the news that the Rockets were thinking of cutting Anthony was it being a poor excuse based on the team’s bad start.

Did Kyrie mention something very recently about the Celtics needing a 15 year type of veteran on the Celtics? Personally , I would have loved to have seen Danny go after Tyson Chandler, but that has since passed. Would Carmelo be that 15 year vet that Kyrie was referring too?

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2018, 03:53:49 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Vince Carter has earned a ton of respect from me in the last 5 years or so. More than he had when he was in his prime. There have only been a handful of basketball players in the history of the game as talented as Vince Carter was and he never fulfilled that promise. But once he was over the hill? He turned himself into a valuable veteran role player.

Carmelo can still score in the NBA but he doesn't understand how to reel himself in for the team and take on a smaller, more appropriate role.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008