Author Topic: Pacers may sue Lakers/NBA over tampering case; to demand harsher punishment  (Read 4160 times)

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Pacers may sue NBA/Lakers over tampering case; to demand harsher punishment at BoG meeting

Source: https://www.patreon.com/petervecsey/posts (behind paywall)

According to an impeccable source, for two months, the independent law firm hired by the league, investigated tampering charges filed by Pacers’ owner, Herb Simon. And it determined that Pelinka was the Palooka who communicated with Paul George’s agent, Aaron Mintz, and expressed interest in his Indiana- contracted client. His exact words, I’m informed, were, “We’d like your guy to play for us.

Still, just because Adam Silver feels his punishment fits the crime, it doesn’t mean Herb Simon will accept it. A confidant of the Pacers’ long-time owner, says he plans to raise a stink at the league’s next Board of Governors meeting. "He’s so fed up, don’t be shocked if he sues the league and the Lakers for damages."

Can't believe the Lakers Get away with literally cheating and breaking the rules

Re: Pacers may sue Lakers/NBA over tampering case; to demand harsher punishment
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 12:00:47 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Great! They should! I'm glad they are not backing down from this, the penalty the Lakers got was a joke. The T-wolves under McHale were practically crippled from the penalty they got for the Joe Smith tampering.

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 12:22:46 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Great! They should! I'm glad they are not backing down from this, the penalty the Lakers got was a joke. The T-wolves under McHale were practically crippled from the penalty they got for the Joe Smith tampering.

They also did a lot more to deserve it.  Agreeing to a contract under the table and saying "we'd like your guy to play for us" aren't even in the same ballpark
I'm bitter.

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 12:25:14 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Pacers may sue NBA/Lakers over tampering case; to demand harsher punishment at BoG meeting

According to an impeccable source, for two months, the independent law firm hired by the league, investigated tampering charges filed by Pacers’ owner, Herb Simon. And it determined that Pelinka was the Palooka who communicated with Paul George’s agent, Aaron Mintz, and expressed interest in his Indiana- contracted client. His exact words, I’m informed, were, “We’d like your guy to play for us.

Still, just because Adam Silver feels his punishment fits the crime, it doesn’t mean Herb Simon will accept it. A confidant of the Pacers’ long-time owner, says he plans to raise a stink at the league’s next Board of Governors meeting. "He’s so fed up, don’t be shocked if he sues the league and the Lakers for damages."

Can't believe the Lakers Get away with literally cheating and breaking the rules

They didn't.  They got fined for it.

Do you honestly think that saying "We’d like your guy to play for us" gave the Lakers $500k worth of benefit? Is Paul George going to consider the Lakers because Pelinka expressed interest (which everyone already knew about) in him a year before FA?
I'm bitter.

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2017, 12:40:12 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
this is interesting. I will be monitoring this just to see if indeed the NBA teams can sue each other. I believe they can with the right approach of joining the NBA in the process.

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2017, 12:58:50 PM »

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Why are the Pacers so up in arms about it? And what would they be suing for? Would it just be a breach of contract sorta thing? Or is it because they feel that they could've had a better chance at retaining George if the Lakers weren't trying to talk him away from his team prematurely?

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2017, 01:08:51 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Why are the Pacers so up in arms about it? And what would they be suing for? Would it just be a breach of contract sorta thing? Or is it because they feel that they could've had a better chance at retaining George if the Lakers weren't trying to talk him away from his team prematurely?

The primary argument is probably that the belief George would go to the Lakers next offseason killed his trade value, and the Lakers' tampering directly contributed to that belief.

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2017, 01:25:55 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
We all knew that George wanted to play for the Lakers; with LA confirming that they would welcome him with open arms, it does seem like there could more at play. As fwf states (and he is ALWAYS right about everything...seriously, you should have your own political blog, fwf  :D ), this could have had a very damaging effect on George's trade value.

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2017, 01:34:03 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

I'm all for punishing tampering, but let's not forget that Isaiah bragged about doing the very same thing at the All-Star Game. Can't imagine Hawks fans can believe that the Celtics got away with literally cheating and breaking the rules.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2017, 01:35:57 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

They didn't.  They got fined for it.

Do you honestly think that saying "We’d like your guy to play for us" gave the Lakers $500k worth of benefit? Is Paul George going to consider the Lakers because Pelinka expressed interest (which everyone already knew about) in him a year before FA?

What leads you to believe that you have any clue what was actually said or potentially agreed to between the Lakers and Paul George? Did you and Magic grow up together or something?
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2017, 01:46:32 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

I'm all for punishing tampering, but let's not forget that Isaiah bragged about doing the very same thing at the All-Star Game. Can't imagine Hawks fans can believe that the Celtics got away with literally cheating and breaking the rules.
so 2 wrongs make a right?

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2017, 01:48:45 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson

Nice strawman. As we both know, all I'm saying is that maybe we should look in the mirror before expressing our outrage.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2017, 02:07:15 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Paul George wrecked his own trade value, not the Lakers. This won't go anywhere.

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2017, 02:11:56 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

Nice strawman. As we both know, all I'm saying is that maybe we should look in the mirror before expressing our outrage.

Hold up...Players can talk all they want. TEAM EXECUTIVED cannot  signal to a player they have a spot for him. If this is allowed, the players can collude with prospective teams to the detriment of the players' current team.

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2017, 02:20:21 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson

Hold up...Players can talk all they want. TEAM EXECUTIVED cannot  signal to a player they have a spot for him. If this is allowed, the players can collude with prospective teams to the detriment of the players' current team.

Wrong:

Tampering is when a player or team directly or indirectly entices, induces or persuades anybody (player, general manager, etc.) who is under contract with another team in order to negotiate for their services.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q111

DKC Clippers