Author Topic: Expectations for Jaylen Brown  (Read 2430 times)

Expectations for Jaylen Brown
« on: October 18, 2017, 02:14:51 AM »

Offline Bostoncelticsforlife7

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 18
I'm assuming Brown will be the full time 3 (or 2 if Tatum starts with Morris) and will probably get around 32 minutes a a game. I am a huge believer in Brad Stevens and still think our ceiling is the 3rd maybe 2nd seed with Kyrie, Horford, and Brown.

Brown had a great game tonight and showed a lot of confidence. He has been consistently aggressive through out the preseason, but I'm not fully sold of Jaylen being our 2nd leading scorer this season just because I remember what happened during summer league and I know
Jaylen always plays well verses the Cavs.

But with that being said I am going out on a limb and say Brown should be able to average 15-16 points per game, 5 rebounds, and 2 assists. It's a lot to ask for for a soon to be 21 year old sophomore on a playoff team, but I think Brown is very capable. I mean after all, someones besides Kyrie has to score. We need him to take the next step now and be a decent second or third option on offense. It that too much to ask from Brown at this point of his career?

Warning: I am a Marucs Smart homer

Re: Expectations for Jaylen Brown
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 02:56:45 AM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1227
Jaylen seems mature for his age and I hope this maturity carries over to his game. With GH being out for maybe the whole season, Jaylen has the chance to really break out. Jaylen and Tatum should more or less take over Hayward's production.

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 10:38:33 AM »

Offline Bostoncelticsforlife7

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 18
Jaylen seems mature for his age and I hope this maturity carries over to his game. With GH being out for maybe the whole season, Jaylen has the chance to really break out. Jaylen and Tatum should more or less take over Hayward's production.

Yeah, I think he's been doing a good job of being aggressive but at the same time in control on offense. Hopefully he can stay that way and not lose his confidence when things dont go his way like he did in preseason
Warning: I am a Marucs Smart homer

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 10:40:18 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
He should be able to do a credible impersonation of Bradley if Brad doesn't run him into the ground. I'm not sure that the 20-year-old version of Brown that's 2 years removed from high school ball is able to handle 40 minutes a game for any sort of sustained stretch of time.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 10:44:33 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
A bigger Kobe :D
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 10:47:15 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Just develop as a cutter, straight line driver, and spot up shooter while playing solid D with starter minutes.

He has a ton of talent but I don't think I'd want him to try and playmake too much and I don't think he's a shot off the screens/curl guy yet.

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 10:47:30 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2017, 10:50:07 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2017, 10:54:43 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
well, with having to take some of Hayward's minutes now, I think we're going to experience a bit of an up and down season from him until he gets consistency with his shot and defense. 

my reasonable expectation by the end of the season is more consistency in his game to game performance.

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2017, 10:55:07 AM »

Offline CelticsJG

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 11
Just want him to improve on D. It is worrisome he don't know how to play strong on D. Hopefully that will change. For offense I see him as a slasher because his shot not there yet.

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2017, 11:02:36 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
I loved how Jaylen ripped LeBron's shirt in half last night. Jaylen's either a circus strong man or that is one cheap shirt or LeBron is wearing a breakaway....

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2017, 11:07:30 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
A bigger Kobe :D
A Kobe that actually looks good in short shorts.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2017, 11:09:51 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I've really been impressed with Brown since the preseason.  His ceiling as a scorer looks much higher than I anticipated.  He seems to find himself open quite a bit, he is always in the action on a fast break, he creates shots from steals and off the dribble taking it to the hoop.  After the summer league I saw no reason to think Brown would be a high scorer, but he looks pretty awesome to me right now.  I'm very excited with his progress.  I'm now guessing he'll be better than a guy like Derozan within a couple years.  If he learns to maintain his concentration and finishes a couple extra dunks/bunnies that he misses per game, he'll score even more on better efficiency.

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2017, 11:11:01 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
I've really been impressed with Brown since the preseason.  His ceiling as a scorer looks much higher than I anticipated.  He seems to find himself open quite a bit, he is always in the action on a fast break, he creates shots from steals and off the dribble taking it to the hoop.  After the preseason I saw no reason to think Brown would be a high scorer, but he looks pretty awesome to me right now.  I'm very excited with his progress.  I'm now guessing he'll be better than a guy like Derozan within a couple years.  If he learns to maintain his concentration and finishes a couple extra dunks/bunnies that he misses per game, he'll score even more on better efficiency.
Same here, but unfortunately I think that his poor ballhandling will limit how much he can actually score once teams figure out they have to pay attention to him.

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2017, 11:15:47 AM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619
I've really been impressed with Brown since the preseason.  His ceiling as a scorer looks much higher than I anticipated.  He seems to find himself open quite a bit, he is always in the action on a fast break, he creates shots from steals and off the dribble taking it to the hoop.  After the summer league I saw no reason to think Brown would be a high scorer, but he looks pretty awesome to me right now.  I'm very excited with his progress.  I'm now guessing he'll be better than a guy like Derozan within a couple years.  If he learns to maintain his concentration and finishes a couple extra dunks/bunnies that he misses per game, he'll score even more on better efficiency.

Ya here is my deal with that. Most of us felt the same way about Brown but after one game we're changing our tunes? Brown looked really good last night and if that's the guy we're getting on most nights this season I'll eat a big plate of crow.

He was up for this game let's see if that continues.
ok fine