Author Topic: "Blake Griffin formally agrees to extension with LAC (5 years/95 mill)"  (Read 7289 times)

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
Per ken berger's twitter.

I understand the signing but he isnt worth that money.

Ridiculous.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 09:26:06 PM by jdz101 »

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

Re: "Blake Griffin formally agrees to extension with LAC (4yrs/95 mill)"
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 09:06:56 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

Ridiculous.

There are at best 5 20/10 players in the NBA. He's one of them.

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 09:08:07 PM »

Offline celtsfan84

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 80

Ridiculous.

Hmmm. You understand the Clippers have escaped Round 1 only one other time since moving to LA, right?

He and CP3 are worth whatever they can give them.  And it is for five years, which is a big difference.

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 09:08:42 PM »

Offline BostonNative

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 14
uhm...he's the face of their franchise, gave the entire city hope, best dunker in the league, All-star, top 5 PF in the league....and Averaged a Double Double....sounds worth it to me

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 09:09:15 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2424
Bah, I hate good things happening to the Clippers.

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 09:15:06 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1415
  • Let's Go Celtics!
5 years, $95mil - I think he's worth every penny.

He's 23, and he's been a 20/10 guys since he came into the league. He turned that franchise from laughing stock to relevant - without him, Clippers aren't even on CP3's radar. A lot of people bag in what he's not, but he's nowhere near his prime or ceiling.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
Sorry but you fork out 20 million a year for accomplished superstar quality players who are complete in every facet of their game.

He still can't make jumpers consistently.

He still can't decide what to do on the block and doesn't have a consistent post move to go to.

He still can't make free throws.

Granted he has good scoring numbers but that whole team goes out of their way to oop him when it's not necessary.

As I said in the first post I UNDERSTAND THE SIGNING in the clippers situation but it's ridiculous a player at his level got 100 mill straight out.

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Sorry but you fork out 20 million a year for accomplished superstar quality players who are complete in every facet of their game.

He still can't decide what to do on the block and doesn't have a consistent post move to go to.

Granted he has good scoring numbers but that whole team goes out of their way to oop him when it's not necessary.

As I said in the first post I UNDERSTAND THE SIGNING in the clippers situation but it's ridiculous a player at his level got 100 mill straight out.

It's OK, you can be wrong.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2975
Yeah...but can BLAKE sell tickets, cars and teeshirts or what?

The NBA will get 20million back in tee shirts rights alone.

The NBA is RACKETT ...

Anyone thats doesn't think so is in dream land.

Offline celtsfan84

• Bill Walton

And by "at his level" you mean at the level of an All-NBA player, a 23 year old who still has room to develop, who produces 20/10's, is one of the most athletic players in the game, and helped CP3 take a worthless franchise to the 2nd Round for the second time in its recent history?

Every NBA player ever has had flaws.  Shaq can't shoot free throws.  Shaq can't make a jumper.  Shaq can't defend the pick and roll.  He still won 4 NBA Titles and made a ton of people rich.

The NBA is RACKETT ...

Ummmm, and the Clippers will win more games than they have ever won too.  It is good for the off-court product and the on-court product.

Nitpicking one of the best players in the NBA.  At 23 years old. Wow.

Did you guys forget that he is playing for historically the worst team in the NBA and helped them get to the 2nd Round this year?  What more does he have to do to prove he can win games?  This is ridiculous.

And I don't think you fully understand the term "racket". There is nothing illegal about selling t-shirts and jerseys.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 09:55:06 PM by celtsfan84 »

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 10:04:52 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Ridiculous.

So's Al Jefferson.

Edit: Some years, at least.

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2012, 10:13:23 PM »

Offline celtsfan84

• Bill Walton

Ridiculous.

So's Al Jefferson.

Edit: Some years, at least.

Yeah, four years ago, on teams that weren't close to the playoffs, with limited athleticism and thus a limited ceiling. And no All-NBA votes.  And his post-up game generally stops all ball movement, as opposed to Blake's ability to run the floor and play pick-and-roll which helps his teammates. 

Other than practically everything about this comparison, this comparison is spot on.

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen

And by "at his level" you mean at the level of an All-NBA player, a 23 year old who still has room to develop, who produces 20/10's, is one of the most athletic players in the game, and helped CP3 take a worthless franchise to the 2nd Round for the second time in its recent history?

Every NBA player ever has had flaws.  Shaq can't shoot free throws.  Shaq can't make a jumper.  Shaq can't defend the pick and roll.  He still won 4 NBA Titles and made a ton of people rich.

The NBA is RACKETT ...

Ummmm, and the Clippers will win more games than they have ever won too.  It is good for the off-court product and the on-court product.

Did you guys forget that he is playing for historically the worst team in the NBA and helped them get to the 2nd Round this year?  What more does he have to do to prove he can win games?  This is ridiculous.

And I don't think you fully understand the term "racket". There is nothing illegal about selling t-shirts and jerseys.

Let's be clear here.

The clippers were only a legit playoff team once Chris Paul joined the fray. They were just as irrelevant as ever with only Blake and Eric Gordon/Bledsoe/Foye etc.

Just as an aside. The new orleans hornets won 50 games in 08/09 with Chris Paul feeding David West and making him a 20/10 guy.

Shaq in his prime bears absolutely zero comparison to Blake. You would take shaq 10/10 times without batting an eyelid.

Offline celtsfan84

• Bill Walton

The NBA is RACKETT ...

Let's be clear here.

The clippers were only a legit playoff team once Chris Paul joined the fray. They were just as irrelevant as ever with only Blake and Eric Gordon/Bledsoe/Foye etc.

Just as an aside. The new orleans hornets won 50 games in 08/09 with Chris Paul feeding David West and making him a 20/10 guy.

Shaq in his prime bears absolutely zero comparison to Blake. You would take shaq 10/10 times without batting an eyelid.

Here is some clarity for you: my point wasn't that he is better than Shaq or even equal.  My point is that Shaq has similar flaws to the ones you are nitpicking about.  About a 23 year old All-NBA player.  Shaq also isn't the only player in NBA history worth a max contract.  He and Blake can both be worth the max.

It takes more than one good player to move to the 2nd Round of the playoffs.  I love CP3, but he has been out of Round 1 only once in his career without Blake.  And you are discounting the value of David West too. It takes more than one good player to win in the NBA.  CP3 and Blake makes two.

CP3 played 6 years without Blake Griffin.  Escaped Round 1 once.
CP3 played 1 year with Blake Griffin.  Escaped Round 1 once.

There is room for enough credit for 2 players.

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Wow, that's a lot of money. With CP3, Blake makes the Clippers relevant, so I suppose he's worth it.

Not including players who have been amnestied, only 7 players in the NBA will earn $19 mil or more next year: Kobe, Dirk, Amare, Joe Johnson, Carmelo, Dwight, and Pau Gasol.

Blake will be paid more next year than anyone on the Miami Heat, Kevin Durant, and his teammate Chris Paul.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague