Author Topic: Talk of a Peja buyout  (Read 7641 times)

Talk of a Peja buyout
« on: November 27, 2010, 12:21:55 PM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
From Stein's Weekend Dime:

http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-101126-28/latest-trade-chatter

Raptors president Bryan Colangelo has already publicly acknowledged the buyout scenario and left the clear impression that he'll work with Stojakovic on a mutually beneficial parting when the time comes.

Man, it would be absolutely ideal to have this guy backing up Pierce (for the vet minimum if he gets bought out!)

All the contenders will be lining up to woo this guy.  Our bench could certainly use some pop, and he'd provide it big time (and provide Paul with some much needed rest).

Re: Talk of a Peja buyout
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 12:54:29 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
I don’t really want his at all.

Last night’s 2nd unit problem was lack of defense… Peja is the solution… me thinks not.

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 12:58:28 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I agree with the OP. Peja off the bench as the 11th man with the vet min? Sign me up. A playoff tested vet that can come into a game and score 13 points in 16 minutes and shoots lights out from three land. How could you not like that possibility. With our teams unselfish play and ability to drive and dish, and play in and out post game, Peja could play 10 minutes a game for us and average 12 points a game.

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 01:04:38 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
A huge Pick-Up if that happens.  ;D

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 01:05:39 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Yeah, I don't see why not.  No risk at the minimum.  Worst case scenario is that Delonte and Marquis keep him no the bench come playoff time.

He'd also be insurance at the 4, since at his size he could play some 4 if need be.  

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2010, 01:07:37 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
He could definitely play the Michael Finley role, and he's an upgrade over Wafer.

I think Peja could help just about any of the contenders on a limited basis.  I expect he'll go to the team that offers the largest role.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2010, 02:23:16 PM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
He could definitely play the Michael Finley role, and he's an upgrade over Wafer.

I think Peja could help just about any of the contenders on a limited basis.  I expect he'll go to the team that offers the largest role.
I think Peja has much more in the tank compared to what Finley had last year.  This would be the best backup Paul's had ever, probably.  If this happened, it would probably mean that Marquis would see more minutes at backup 2.  If Delonte makes it back, I suspect he'll be quite rusty.  I really hope he makes it back and healthy, but given his propensity for injury, counting on a healthy Delonte is probably not smart.

I agree with you, Roy, he'd likely go to the team that offers the largest role, and I don't know that that's us, although, he might also factor in which team gives him the greatest opportunity to win a ring.  The Lakers are loaded at the 3, so they're out.  Miami will be incorporating Mike Miller back into the equation, and he's quite similar to Peja, so they're probably out too.  I see greatest opportunity to win a ring (while playing 15 or so minutes a night) as being us, or maybe Orlando.  I suppose you could add San Antonio and Dallas into the mix too (and I could see him in San Antonio if they continue their good play).

Should be interesting to see how this plays out.

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2010, 02:40:08 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I don’t really want his at all.

Last night’s 2nd unit problem was lack of defense… Peja is the solution… me thinks not.

Let's not forget that the "2nd unit" will at some point (fingers crossed) contain Perk (hard to bench Shaq), JO, & West. Defense won't be a problem.

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2010, 02:43:16 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Let's hope he doesn't have too many more games like last night's...

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2010, 02:44:37 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Peja's been one of my favorite players for a long time.  I really love watching great shooters, with great shooting form.  That said, I really don't know what's left in the tank or where he'd fit on this team. 

Still, it would be another fun player to have, and he is better than Wafer for sure.  If the price is zippo except for the cash (is that an oxymoron?) I'd take a shot at him I suppose.

Yup

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2010, 03:53:56 PM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Peja would be the PERFECT fit for the bench unit. Whether it be Shaq or Perk, having more shooters around the perimeter to catch spot up 3s is what we've been missing.

Now Peja might not be a decent defender, but he is long enough and smart enough to play 10-15 MPG guarding back SFs(James Jones,Luke Walton,etc)

Peja also shoots at a high percentage(FTs and 3's) and can light it up like Nate, plus his presence alone would open up other players like West and Nate for 3's or slashing to pass to Shaq and JO for easy buckets.

Read this. Nate,West,Peja,JO,Shaq - That's a better unit than 25 other teams in the league
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2010, 04:26:43 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
That would be a huge pickup.  I agree with the comparisons to Michael Finley, but expect that Peja would bring more because (a) youth and (b) earlier in season.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2010, 04:27:06 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
I'd like for the C's to get Peja because (1) he is a career 90 percent free throw shooter and 40 percent three point shooter, (2) he'll get a ton of open looks playing with the C's, (3) he's a great option to have out there at the end of games when teams are intentionally fouling, (4) Marquis Daniels is a walking injury, (5) regardless of injury, I'm still not sold on Marquis Daniels, (6) As an organization, you have to take what is available, (7) barring a trade with Davis or Perk, Peja is the best player the C's will be able to get, and ( 8) Peja has way more left in the tank than this board would lead you to believe.

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2010, 04:48:22 PM »

Offline Texstyles

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 44
IMO... Peja puts the the original lineup plan back to the way it was.  A poster mention earlier that waiting on a healthy West would be a mistake for this team.  Peja is the perfect fix,  Daniels assumes the West position at the 2 and Peja takes the Daniels position at the 3.  Because of Pejas shooting ability and Daniels should be better Defencivly at the 2 then he is at the 3, I think it is almost a wash 2nd unit will have similar qaulities.

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2010, 04:49:09 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
Toronto is baffling. They play Derozan and Weems ahead of Barbosa. The Barbosa and Peja lineup was the only one that kept them in the game. Most teams would make them pay for playing Peja; but the C's are two slow to do much about it. Wanted Rondo to go to town; but he has not been driving too the hoop lately.