Author Topic: Aaron Baynes talks about what happened this season  (Read 4526 times)

Aaron Baynes talks about what happened this season
« on: May 26, 2019, 05:49:51 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
This is an hour interview with Celtics Beat

https://youtu.be/Sd7fsd6qcu4

I thought one of the best things he said was that Brad Stevens system gets the most out of players offensively and defensively when they buy in.  It sounded very similar to what players say about Belichick. 

Re: Aaron Baynes talks about what happened this season
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2019, 06:14:39 PM »

RazzelnoDazzel

I swear the more players speak out it just sounds like it was Kyrie vs Brad. I mean for like 4 years it has always looked like it was Brads team until last season.

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2019, 06:23:14 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I swear the more players speak out it just sounds like it was Kyrie vs Brad. I mean for like 4 years it has always looked like it was Brads team until last season.

I don't think Kyrie was the sole issue in the locker room.  Hayward was singled out for quite a bit of resentment, even though he came off the bench and kept his mouth shut.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2019, 06:24:00 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Agreed.

To be fair I don't think Kyrie intended it to be that way.  My sense is that Kyrie just kind of wants to be his own person and not have to change or conform to anybody else, whether it's being a sidekick to LeBron, "playing the game" with the media, or buying into a coach's system and philosophy.

That might be OK on a team with strong leadership already in place.  But on the Celts you had a lot of young guys who naturally look to Kyrie as the kind of player they would like to become, at least in terms of success and notoriety.  So when Kyrie refused to buy in and show that he placed the team ahead of himself, that sent a message to the younger guys on the team that they shouldn't bother doing that, either.

Add to that the issues with free-agents-to-be Rozier and Morris wanting to show out to get paid and Hayward's slower-than-anticipated integration, and you had a recipe for disaster.

The reason I think it rightfully should fall back on Kyrie is because I think if he had taken a different tack and shown solidarity with Brad from the beginning, the other issues would not have been fatal to the season.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2019, 06:34:51 PM »

Offline Never Nervous Pervis

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 16

Agreed.

To be fair I don't think Kyrie intended it to be that way.  My sense is that Kyrie just kind of wants to be his own person and not have to change or conform to anybody else, whether it's being a sidekick to LeBron, "playing the game" with the media, or buying into a coach's system and philosophy.

That might be OK on a team with strong leadership already in place.  But on the Celts you had a lot of young guys who naturally look to Kyrie as the kind of player they would like to become, at least in terms of success and notoriety.  So when Kyrie refused to buy in and show that he placed the team ahead of himself, that sent a message to the younger guys on the team that they shouldn't bother doing that, either.

Add to that the issues with free-agents-to-be Rozier and Morris wanting to show out to get paid and Hayward's slower-than-anticipated integration, and you had a recipe for disaster.

The reason I think it rightfully should fall back on Kyrie is because I think if he had taken a different tack and shown solidarity with Brad from the beginning, the other issues would not have been fatal to the season.

Did you guys listen to the actual interview? Because Baynes says Kyrie is a great player and definitely wants him back in Boston (assuming Danny and Brad bring Aron back, too).

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2019, 06:36:38 PM »

RazzelnoDazzel

I don't think Kyrie was the sole issue in the locker room.  Hayward was singled out for quite a bit of resentment, even though he came off the bench and kept his mouth shut.
Hate when people say this. I’m not eluding to Kyrie being the single and only reason, but I do have a strong sense that he had the HIGHEST Amount of accountability.

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2019, 06:40:07 PM »

RazzelnoDazzel

Agreed.

Did you guys listen to the actual interview? Because Baynes says Kyrie is a great player and definitely wants him back in Boston (assuming Danny and Brad bring Aron back, too).

I’m going to make this easy for you. Do you think Kyrie will buy into Brads system?

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2019, 06:42:51 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Hate when people say this. I’m not eluding to Kyrie being the single and only reason, but I do have a strong sense that he had the HIGHEST Amount of accountability.

Well, characterizing things as "Kyrie vs. Brad", and suggesting that Kyrie was the reason that it wasn't "Brad's team" for the first time in four years, seems like he's getting more than his fair share of the blame. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2019, 06:44:52 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Agreed.

Lol, that's funny. Why watch/listen when you can just follow the mob?

2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2019, 07:06:51 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Well, Smart says it all, for me at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDekKq3nV3k

I strongly believe this off season will be a time for the ENTIRE team to grow.....coach included.

Even Brad said he could've did a better job.

And by next season GH will have no excuses. I am one of his BIGGEST fans but Kyrie and this team NEEDS him to be AS CLOSE to Utah GH as possible......

No more excuses.

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2019, 07:15:44 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I swear the more players speak out it just sounds like it was Kyrie vs Brad.

I doubt it. 

More likely they are commenting about how the rest of the team didn't buy in.  As much as people want to make Kyrie the enemy, there's mountains of evidence that Rozier was a whiney little turd all season, Jaylen was a problem for half of the season,  MOrris was gunning for a contract, Tatum lost interest knowing he's trade bait, etc.

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2019, 07:16:23 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Agreed.

Once again, conflating criticism of Kyrie with an argument for not bringing him back.

It is possible to acknowledge he was a major factor in what went wrong this season without getting into the question of whether we should want him back.

If you think he can change I think it makes a lot of sense to want him back.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2019, 07:17:12 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

I doubt it. 

More likely they are commenting about how the rest of the team didn't buy in.  As much as people want to make Kyrie the enemy, there's mountains of evidence that Rozier was a whiney little turd all season, Jaylen was a problem for half of the season,  MOrris was gunning for a contract, Tatum lost interest knowing he's trade bait, etc.

And who bears responsibility for getting the supporting players, especially the younger ones, to buy in?
- Mark Twain

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2019, 07:19:08 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Agreed.

Once again, conflating criticism of Kyrie with an argument for not bringing him back.

It is possible to acknowledge he was a major factor in what went wrong this season without getting into the question of whether we should want him back.

If you think he can change I think it makes a lot of sense to want him back.
There were a lot of inflated ego individuals on this team that would have been better served giving the ball to Kyrie and getting out of the way.

Ultimately, this team failed because they didn't have the talent to compete.  That said, the inflated ego players like Rozier certainly didn't help make this a smooth season.  They stopped overachieving and lack of talent caught up with this group.  I honestly can't be too mad - knowing this is the 4th/5th most talented team in the East.  Made sense to get owned in Round 2 by one of the superior East teams.

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2019, 07:21:47 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

I doubt it. 

And who bears responsibility for getting the supporting players, especially the younger ones, to buy in?
obviously, it's Brad's responsibility and he did a poor job this season by his own admission... but I honestly can't even be that mad at Brad either given he got way more than he should of out of mediocre groups the few years prior.   When he consistently gets 35-40 win teams (on paper) to win 50+ and make the ECF, it sets the bar pretty high... so when a 50 win team on paper wins 49... it stings.

As far as I'm concerned, Brad is playing with house money.  He was the leader of groups that were some of the biggest overachievers in NBA history.  He deserves a year where they play as well as their talent allows.