Author Topic: Aaron Baynes talks about what happened this season  (Read 4485 times)

Re: Aaron Baynes talks about what happened this season
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2019, 07:23:11 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I swear the more players speak out it just sounds like it was Kyrie vs Brad.

I doubt it. 

More likely they are commenting about how the rest of the team didn't buy in.  As much as people want to make Kyrie the enemy, there's mountains of evidence that Rozier was a whiney little turd all season, Jaylen was a problem for half of the season,  MOrris was gunning for a contract, Tatum lost interest knowing he's trade bait, etc.

And who bears responsibility for getting the supporting players, especially the younger ones, to buy in?

It should be the responsibility of those supporting players. Individual accountability..

Next it’s on the coach.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2019, 07:23:57 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

I doubt it. 

More likely they are commenting about how the rest of the team didn't buy in.  As much as people want to make Kyrie the enemy, there's mountains of evidence that Rozier was a whiney little turd all season, Jaylen was a problem for half of the season,  MOrris was gunning for a contract, Tatum lost interest knowing he's trade bait, etc.

And who bears responsibility for getting the supporting players, especially the younger ones, to buy in?

The players themselves?

I'm sorry. This isn't pre-school. This is the NBA. This is their job and they make millions of dollars to do it. If they need their hands held to that level, then that's a red flag.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2019, 07:25:01 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

I doubt it. 

It should be the responsibility of those supporting players. Individual accountability..

Next it’s on the coach.
Then after that, probably the vets like Horford, Baynes and Hayward.  Then after that, probably the alpha personalities like Smart and Morris.  Then after that probably the two most talented guys Kyrie and Tatum.

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2019, 07:44:12 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I doubt it. 

Next it’s on the coach.

Maybe in an ideal world.

I just don't think that's how it works in the NBA.

Your main guy sets the tone, and the main guy is determined by who is highest profile player not the guy who is necessarily the most experienced or the best leader.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2019, 07:44:47 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I doubt it. 

Next it’s on the coach.
Then after that, probably the vets like Horford, Baynes and Hayward.  Then after that, probably the alpha personalities like Smart and Morris.  Then after that probably the two most talented guys Kyrie and Tatum.

I dont believe that you genuinely believe this.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2019, 07:59:36 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

I doubt it. 

The players themselves?

I'm sorry. This isn't pre-school. This is the NBA. This is their job and they make millions of dollars to do it. If they need their hands held to that level, then that's a red flag.

Does this apply to Kyrie? Why does he seem to always get a pass with some? Uneasy lies the head. He wanted to lead then he gets a lion share of the blame. He also went out and threw his teammates under the bus. That doesnt help.

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2019, 08:01:59 PM »

Offline Never Nervous Pervis

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 16

I doubt it. 

Who didn't buy in? Brown struggled at the beginning of the year, acknowledged that he didn't handle going to the bench well, and played great after Christmas. Tatum, while failing to make the leap we all expected, still put up better numbers and played more minutes than his rookie campaign. And his close friendship with Kyrie (they were buddies before teammates) negates the idea that his inconsistent play was somehow a result of Kyrie's presence.

So the only young player you can make that claim about is Rozier. Was his play a result of not buying in or simply not getting the minutes he wanted and not hitting a high enough % of shots when he had the chance?

Don't you think every locker room, including Golden State's and Toronto's, has guys who want bigger roles?

« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 09:31:16 PM by Never Nervous Pervis »

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2019, 08:32:10 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
He also thinks that Cs botched the Kawhi Leonard trade sweepstakes.

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2019, 08:51:38 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362

Who did? Baynes?
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2019, 08:58:35 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman

Who did? Baynes?

No, not Baynes.. he only talked for the first aprrox 14 minutes or so. The media guy that came after him said that.

« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2019, 09:23:45 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

I doubt it. 

The players themselves?

Does this apply to Kyrie? Why does he seem to always get a pass with some? Uneasy lies the head. He wanted to lead then he gets a lion share of the blame. He also went out and threw his teammates under the bus. That doesnt help.

Literally never said it didn't. Don't put words in my mouth.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2019, 09:31:50 PM »

Offline sirnastee

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 6
Celtics were fine last season when Kyrie played 75% of the season before he got injured.  The difference this season is the inflated egos that came with the young players making it to the conference finals without Kyrie and GH. 

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2019, 09:34:33 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman

I doubt it. 

The players themselves?

Literally never said it didn't. Don't put words in my mouth.

My post did not claim you said anything. My post asked a simple question. Does your observation and standard for NBA millionaires apply to Kyrie Irving? 

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2019, 09:37:12 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
Celtics were fine last season when Kyrie played 75% of the season before he got injured.  The difference this season is the inflated egos that came with the young players making it to the conference finals without Kyrie and GH.

nothing wrong with ego Michael Jordan and Kobe had tons of it. The great ones do. Perhaps the problem came from Kyrie the self-appointed leader not knowing how to deal with or nurture those egos.

« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2019, 10:07:06 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362

nothing wrong with ego Michael Jordan and Kobe had tons of it. The great ones do. Perhaps the problem came from Kyrie the self-appointed leader not knowing how to deal with or nurture those egos.

I think part of the issue was that Kyrie probably lost some credibility because he missed the postseason when they made it to the ECF in his absence. Prior to that it's easier to be the clear leader because they were all kids. But then they made the finals...without him or Hayward, the 2 biggest profile players. Hayward came back, played like trash, so his credibility was really worth zero, and Kyrie couldn't really come in saying "listen to make the finals we need to do a, b and c" because, well, they made the finals without him. There could've been a "chillout Ky, we've been there, we know what it takes, you don't need to tell us" type mentality, particularly at the beginning of the season. Confident young players who overachieved and have the world at their feet. Mitch Albom's book "The Fab Five" about the Michigan freshmen back in the early 90s tells a similar story of vets vs young players and the coach (Steve Fisher) who struggled to keep it all under control.

That's probably when he started to become overbearing, make snide comments in the media about the young guys, etc. Because he wasn't like that at all in year 1. He lost some of his moral authority and didn't cope well with it, and responded the wrong way. Certainly not absolving him of any blame, he still didn't handle it well, but I could see it going down that way.

As for Hayward, I don't think they respected him at all, not in a basketball sense anyway. And that's a fair feeling - he hadn't earned any of their respect, so his voice as a "veteran" probably didn't mean anything.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D