Author Topic: Deandre Ayton Comparison(s)  (Read 4839 times)

Re: Deandre Ayton Comparison(s)
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2018, 07:33:42 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
He reminds me a bit like David Robinson. His body seems the same. I think Ayton is a bit smoother, but athletic  with an outside shot, who plays super tough D and could pick up some guards in a switch.
"super tough D"
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2018, 03:37:34 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Weaknesses:
-Shot selection - settles for jumpers, needs to improve touch
-Poor left hand - struggles with left, right hand dominant player
-Defensive Motor - lacks intensity
-Post ups - gets lost/pushed around too much
-P/R - slow to recover
-P/R - poor positioning

Source scout video.

Now to be fair, a lot of scouting reports highlight the weak points and sometimes these are correctable issues.

For example, Jayson Tatum's scouting report doubted his 3 point shot.  All he did was work on that shot the entire summer, comes into the Association and shoots freaking 43% from NBA 3 as a ROOKIE.  Mind Blown!  :o

So maybe Ayton can fix his motor, fix the left hand, and get better at not being pushed around, and his pick and roll defense.  But it looks like he has a LOT to work on.  Does he have the drive and work ethic to fix his weaknesses?  A LOT will be asked of a #1 pick.  He can be as good as he wants to be.  But can he take it to the next level.

And next question, is there a safer pick for a big man, if the Celtics are fortunate enough to get a pick between 2-5 from the Lakers?

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2018, 09:05:11 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Weaknesses:
-P/R - slow to recover
-P/R - poor positioning

Source scout video.

Now to be fair, a lot of scouting reports highlight the weak points and sometimes these are correctable issues.

For example, Jayson Tatum's scouting report doubted his 3 point shot.  All he did was work on that shot the entire summer, comes into the Association and shoots freaking 43% from NBA 3 as a ROOKIE.  Mind Blown!  :o

So maybe Ayton can fix his motor, fix the left hand, and get better at not being pushed around, and his pick and roll defense.  But it looks like he has a LOT to work on.  Does he have the drive and work ethic to fix his weaknesses?  A LOT will be asked of a #1 pick.  He can be as good as he wants to be.  But can he take it to the next level.

And next question, is there a safer pick for a big man, if the Celtics are fortunate enough to get a pick between 2-5 from the Lakers?
the safer pick is probably bagley

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2018, 10:34:39 AM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43
Weaknesses:
-P/R - slow to recover
-P/R - poor positioning

Source scout video.

Jaren Jackson.  He doesn't seem to have quite the offensive ceiling that Ayton does, but he already can shoot the 3, and projects as an awesome defensive center.

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2018, 10:37:37 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Weaknesses:
-P/R - slow to recover
-P/R - poor positioning

Source scout video.

the safer pick is probably bagley

Agreed, I think how he fits in our offense, plus he has a strong but inconsistent motor that only Stevens could modify. Bagley is Steven's wet dream.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different