Author Topic: The Jeff Green thread  (Read 127482 times)

Re: Jeff Green - top 5 SF in 2 years
« Reply #345 on: March 22, 2013, 04:23:08 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Its not that crazy to picture him being top 5. After melo, lebron and durant the next few slots will prob be up in the air.

Just went through a list and there aren't a ton of great. A few right now I would place above him but things could change. I mean I don't think Rudy Gay is necessairly going to be a better option in the next 5 years. Or Galinari. Or who else?

There's going to be a huge drop off after the top 3 but after that I think Jeff green will absolutely be top 10 and then 4-7 will always be an arguement like it is with every position. I mean with of people rate rondo top 2 while others rate top 10 so who knows
Nic Batum, Paul George, Kawhi Leonard, Chandler Parsons, Evan Turner and Kidd-Gilchrist are all in the mix. Rudy Gay and Luol Deng, while not great, may probably also be better. Can't put Galinary in this list until he stops shooting .420 from the floor.

Batum and George are probably locks to be better or at least as good. So even top 10 is, at best, an open issue at this point.

In my opinion, the three guys fighting to be in the top 5 will be Batum George and Green. Pierce should be number 4 right now, but he won't be there in two years.

Leonard and Parsons will definitely be getting better (and Kidd-Glichrist), but Green/George/Batum in their primes will definitely be better. At least, in my opinion.

All we can do is wait!
Parsons is already playing at a level comparable to Green, and he's only in his second year in the league. He's closer to Batum and George right now than he is to Leonard and Kidd-Gilchrist.

Rudy Gay is 11 days (!) older than Green -- he'll be just as much in his prime as Green, and currently he's the better player. Deng is a year and a day older than Gay, so pretty much the same argument applies.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #346 on: March 22, 2013, 04:26:10 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
I'd add Danny Granger to that list.  People have forgotten about him because he's been hurt all year, but a healthy Danny Granger is a very dangerous player.
The problem with Granger is not (only) that he's injured, it's also that he's considerably older than the lot we're discussing here (will be 30 to 35 over the next 5 years).
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #347 on: March 22, 2013, 04:46:25 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
Its not that crazy to picture him being top 5. After melo, lebron and durant the next few slots will prob be up in the air.

Just went through a list and there aren't a ton of great. A few right now I would place above him but things could change. I mean I don't think Rudy Gay is necessairly going to be a better option in the next 5 years. Or Galinari. Or who else?

There's going to be a huge drop off after the top 3 but after that I think Jeff green will absolutely be top 10 and then 4-7 will always be an arguement like it is with every position. I mean with of people rate rondo top 2 while others rate top 10 so who knows
Nic Batum, Paul George, Kawhi Leonard, Chandler Parsons, Evan Turner and Kidd-Gilchrist are all in the mix. Rudy Gay and Luol Deng, while not great, may probably also be better. Can't put Galinary in this list until he stops shooting .420 from the floor.

Batum and George are probably locks to be better or at least as good. So even top 10 is, at best, an open issue at this point.

In my opinion, the three guys fighting to be in the top 5 will be Batum George and Green. Pierce should be number 4 right now, but he won't be there in two years.

Leonard and Parsons will definitely be getting better (and Kidd-Glichrist), but Green/George/Batum in their primes will definitely be better. At least, in my opinion.

All we can do is wait!
Parsons is already playing at a level comparable to Green, and he's only in his second year in the league. He's closer to Batum and George right now than he is to Leonard and Kidd-Gilchrist.

Rudy Gay is 11 days (!) older than Green -- he'll be just as much in his prime as Green, and currently he's the better player. Deng is a year and a day older than Gay, so pretty much the same argument applies.

I forgot about George. He's the only one I put clearly above green.

Jeff Greens per 36 is pretty close to Batum probably better. Batum plays like 10 more min than him. Leonard and MKG who knows. Esp MKG.

Jeff green will def be in the mix. Especially given his contract which people looked at in a bad light. Well look at gays contract. George will probably get max money.

If we just go off of this year I'd take green over a lot of these guys. Plus all these guys are starters playing more minutes. I don't think its that crazy to think that Green would be thriving playing 38-40 minutes a game like Deng or Batum

« Reply #348 on: March 22, 2013, 06:13:30 PM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
I don't know about Green as a top SF.  Most of his production this season has come as a backup SF and he's been at his best at PF guarded by PFs.  He's got such a speed advantage over bigs that it doesn't matter if he can only go in one direction or doesn't possess any dribble moves but those matter at SF.  I'm kind of mystified why Green doesn't possess a spin move or a crossover. 

« Reply #349 on: March 22, 2013, 06:30:05 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I don't know about Green as a top SF.  Most of his production this season has come as a backup SF and he's been at his best at PF guarded by PFs.  He's got such a speed advantage over bigs that it doesn't matter if he can only go in one direction or doesn't possess any dribble moves but those matter at SF.  I'm kind of mystified why Green doesn't possess a spin move or a crossover.

I hate to say this again because I know it caused a bit of a minor uproar when it was mentioned in the preseason, but, what the heck, I'll risk it;  Jeff Green's moves to the basket are Worthy-esque. 

He has a good first step, and once he's by you, he just kinda glides through the lane and finishes.  No, he doesn't use any fancy moves, but once he gets it going, he's shown that he can be fairly tough to stop.

I find him fun to watch.  He's sort of the anti-Paul Pierce, who if anything can be accused of having too many moves.  They make for an interesting combination of small forwards. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #350 on: March 22, 2013, 09:48:33 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Jeff Green has not changed from his days in college and probably never will as a basketball player. 

He will have more than his share of spectacular games, but won't be able to do it on a consistent basis.

What he will do on a consistent basis though is get you 10-15 pts, 5 rebounds, 4 assists, a few steals, a few blocks. Very Scott Pippen like support

I can't say Pippen was ever considered a top 5 sf back at his peak days. But he was def top 10 and big part of the reason the bulls were so good.

If the celtics have another "main" guy after pp and kg, i think green will be a very good support guy with once in a while amazing games like we saw him vs miami

« Reply #351 on: March 22, 2013, 10:14:03 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Jeff Green has not changed from his days in college and probably never will as a basketball player. 

He will have more than his share of spectacular games, but won't be able to do it on a consistent basis.

What he will do on a consistent basis though is get you 10-15 pts, 5 rebounds, 4 assists, a few steals, a few blocks. Very Scott Pippen like support

I can't say Pippen was ever considered a top 5 sf back at his peak days. But he was def top 10 and big part of the reason the bulls were so good.

Pippen was 1st team All-NBA for three consecutive years, and All-NBA 2nd/3rd team for 4 years in the seven years 1991-1998.

He was All-NBA defense 1st team for 8 consecutive years, and 2nd team for two other years.

Pippen was unquestionably the #1 small forward of his era.

« Reply #352 on: March 22, 2013, 11:51:19 PM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71

If the celtics have another "main" guy after pp and kg, i think green will be a very good support guy with once in a while amazing games like we saw him vs miami

OMG, Pippen wasn't a top 5 SF in his peak days?  Really?  Wow.  Who were the five better small forwards and why didn't they make the 50 All-Time Greatest Players List?  That's a travesty!!

« Reply #353 on: March 23, 2013, 01:20:51 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
ok i agree Pippen was a great sf. But what i meant not top 5 at his peak, is to take charge , carry the bulls and make clutch shots. That was 90 plus percent Jordan.

This is the similiarities i find with Jeff Green. Like a Pippen type . Without them it makes winning that much harder. But when you need to nail the coffin closed, they are not too great in doing it

« Reply #354 on: March 23, 2013, 12:46:17 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
ok i agree Pippen was a great sf. But what i meant not top 5 at his peak, is to take charge , carry the bulls and make clutch shots. That was 90 plus percent Jordan.

This is the similiarities i find with Jeff Green. Like a Pippen type . Without them it makes winning that much harder. But when you need to nail the coffin closed, they are not too great in doing it
Absurd notion. Pippen at his prime was the 2nd best player in basketball. Jeff Green is nothing like Pippen. Pippen played a career as second fiddle because he was paired with MJ for so much of his career. You obviously must have been extremely young or not born during the 90's to have the misguided opinion you have on Scottie Pippen.

Again, Scottie Pippen was the 2nd best player in the league for much of his peak and was never given his truly just due because he played in the shadow of MJ. Actuallt for a few of those peak years, Pippen was the best defensive player in the league, though he never got a DPOY because at that time, they just LOVED giving that award to shot blockers.

« Reply #355 on: March 23, 2013, 01:23:12 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

Absurd notion. Pippen at his prime was the 2nd best player in basketball. Jeff Green is nothing like Pippen. Pippen played a career as second fiddle because he was paired with MJ for so much of his career. You obviously must have been extremely young or not born during the 90's to have the misguided opinion you have on Scottie Pippen.

Again, Scottie Pippen was the 2nd best player in the league for much of his peak and was never given his truly just due because he played in the shadow of MJ. Actuallt for a few of those peak years, Pippen was the best defensive player in the league, though he never got a DPOY because at that time, they just LOVED giving that award to shot blockers.

Really?  Pippen was better than Magic?  Hakeem? The Admiral? The Mailman?

« Reply #356 on: March 23, 2013, 02:11:28 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

I don't know that he was ever the 2nd best player in the league - it's hard to tell because he did defer a lot on offense.

I do think there's a good case for him being the best defensive player at SF ever. And, he might be in the conversation for top 5 SF ever as well. He and KG are the two best team defenders I have ever seen.

I mean, he was an absolutely dominant player on D, and could completely shut down anyone from PG to PF. So versatile. And while Pippen was not a great end-of-game offensive player, he won plenty of games at the other end, by getting a key stop or steal. That is just as important.

In the one year in which he was the focal point of the team, 1993-1994, he averaged 22 ppg, 9rpg, 5.6apg, 2.9spg and 0.8bpg while being named to The All-NBA 1st and All-NBA Defensive 1st teams.

The fact that he didn't win DPOY seems shocking until you look at the competition during the 1990s: Robinson, Hakeem, Rodman, Mutombo, Payton and Jordan. I don't know that there's ever been another period in NBA history with so many superb defenders.

« Reply #357 on: March 23, 2013, 03:03:40 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

I don't know that he was ever the 2nd best player in the league - it's hard to tell because he did defer a lot on offense.

I do think there's a good case for him being the best defensive player at SF ever. And, he might be in the conversation for top 5 SF ever as well. He and KG are the two best team defenders I have ever seen.

I mean, he was an absolutely dominant player on D, and could completely shut down anyone from PG to PF. So versatile. And while Pippen was not a great end-of-game offensive player, he won plenty of games at the other end, by getting a key stop or steal. That is just as important.

In the one year in which he was the focal point of the team, 1993-1994, he averaged 22 ppg, 9rpg, 5.6apg, 2.9spg and 0.8bpg while being named to The All-NBA 1st and All-NBA Defensive 1st teams.

The fact that he didn't win DPOY seems shocking until you look at the competition during the 1990s: Robinson, Hakeem, Rodman, Mutombo, Payton and Jordan. I don't know that there's ever been another period in NBA history with so many superb defenders.

I never really thought of him as #2 although there was a good  3-4 year period in the mid 90s where I thought he was a Top 5 player, especially during Jordan's absence.   When Jordan was gone, he was right up there with Hakeem (who I thought was the best in the absensce), Robinson, Malone, Barkley, Kemp (yes), Malone, and Stockton. 

Not too hard to put him right up there.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #358 on: March 23, 2013, 04:07:05 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

All we can do is wait!

I forgot about George. He's the only one I put clearly above green.

Jeff Greens per 36 is pretty close to Batum probably better. Batum plays like 10 more min than him. Leonard and MKG who knows. Esp MKG.

Jeff green will def be in the mix. Especially given his contract which people looked at in a bad light. Well look at gays contract. George will probably get max money.

If we just go off of this year I'd take green over a lot of these guys. Plus all these guys are starters playing more minutes. I don't think its that crazy to think that Green would be thriving playing 38-40 minutes a game like Deng or Batum
Batum averages 5 assists per game. Something Jeff Green has never done, and likely never will. Parsons, likewise, is averaging close to 4 apg. Gay and Deng are probably better rebounders than Green. Gay, despite having a miserable year, is likely the better scorer, and Deng is a tough defender.

Green may have more explosive dunks than any of them, but overall, unless we see more improvement, I don't see how he's a better player.

« Reply #359 on: March 23, 2013, 04:32:10 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

i think you got your bulls domination goggles on. 2nd best player in the league? There were 5-7 players considered better, due to their overall game. Pippen was a high level defensive player but not nearly as high level on offense. He was never a great shooter as one of the key issues he always dealth with

This was proven when Jordan semi retired, Pippen didn't take the bulls over the top.  Lots of games he couldn't put the nail in the coffin