Author Topic: The Jeff Green thread  (Read 127424 times)

Re: Jeff Green - top 5 SF in 2 years
« Reply #270 on: February 24, 2013, 02:03:48 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
2 more points

1. The reason you don't think JG will be a top 5 SF right now is because he's not even asked to be that right now. The diff is LBJ, PG, Melo are being asked to be #1 on their team. JG is asked to be...I'm not even sure anyone knows what number he's asked to be, but right now he's been #3 (#4 after Rondo) on this team. I'm hoping that will change as the season and next year progresses.

Does he have the skillset to be top 5? I absolutely think so. Why do we marvel at players like LBJ and PG and Gay and whomever? Because they make it look EASY. Did JG NOT make his 31 points look easy? on 14 shots? Wow. I've seen LBJ score 35 on 35 shots. Same for Melo. AND MELO BARELY PLAYS DEFENSE!!

Which one of the top 5 and rising play defense like JG?

2. I'm more than hopeful that guys like Nick and Vinnie hold Rondo to these amazingly high standards when he returns from knee surgery. We can all pretty much guarantee that Rondo is going to come back early/earlier than he should. And when he's not as explosive, has a bunch of TO's, I really hope there are no 'excuses' such as a brand spanking new (fake) ACL.

« Reply #271 on: February 24, 2013, 02:05:58 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Green's doctors told him he wouldn't even be able to play this year and it'd be another year before he could play in the NBA.  Heck, the guy had to relearn how to walk roughly a year ago and he's been dunking on NBA players.

-Three point range
-Elite athleticism
-Great length
-Elite defense
-Moderate ball handling
-Moderate court vision
-Moderate passing
-Great finisher

I really don't see how people can think he WONT be a top 5 SF.  It's not like there are a ton of people you can put as locks.  Melo, Lebron, Durant and then a whole lot of middle tier guys like George, Gay, Deng.   Green certainly as the ability and is arguably already pretty close and just needs more minutes.

TP, but disagree on Elite Defender, he's not THAT good.

2 more points

1. The reason you don't think JG will be a top 5 SF right now is because he's not even asked to be that right now. The diff is LBJ, PG, Melo are being asked to be #1 on their team. JG is asked to be...I'm not even sure anyone knows what number he's asked to be, but right now he's been #3 (#4 after Rondo) on this team. I'm hoping that will change as the season and next year progresses.

Does he have the skillset to be top 5? I absolutely think so. Why do we marvel at players like LBJ and PG and Gay and whomever? Because they make it look EASY. Did JG NOT make his 31 points look easy? on 14 shots? Wow. I've seen LBJ score 35 on 35 shots. Same for Melo. AND MELO BARELY PLAYS DEFENSE!!

2. I'm more than hopeful that guys like Nick and Vinnie hold Rondo to these amazingly high standards when he returns from knee surgery. We can all pretty much guarantee that Rondo is going to come back early/earlier than he should. And when he's not as explosive, has a bunch of TO's, I really hope there are no 'excuses' such as a brand spanking new (fake) ACL.

Hence why I said in  two years. That will be his chance to come out. Hopefully, Pierce is done or is coming off the bench by then.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #272 on: February 24, 2013, 02:11:31 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green
Basically, I'm saying Green started off with great play in his OKC days. When they saw Durant was better, they traded him to us. But, Poerce is still here and one of the best SFs ever. green  has always been stuck behind a better SF which hurts him.

My argument is that once he comes out as a first, second option, he'll have way better stats and stuff. I can see a 21/5/2/1 guy who is worth nine million. He's definitely below the LB/Durant level and will never reach it. At his best, I can see a Carmelo (but that's not to be expected). At reasonable expectation levels, I see him being a little better or around Batum and George's level. An Al-Star hopefully once or twice.

I don't think this is too absurd
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #273 on: February 24, 2013, 02:17:18 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.
2 more points

Hahaha, here we go:

You know why I don't think Green will be a top five SF?  Because the talent at that position is VERY good right now and for the future.  LeBron, Melo, George, Gay, etc.  these guys are better than Green right now, and will still be better in two years.

Green dropped 31 on the freaking Phoenix Suns.  That ain't special, bud.  Was it impressive?  Sure it was.  I'm glad Jeff is being aggressive, but you can't say that that game means he's gonna be a star.  That's ridiculous.

Who cares if Melo doesn't play defense?  He's still unstoppable on offense.  Jeff isn't, and he also isn't as good a defender as LeBron or George.  Jeff plays good defense, but it's nowhere near LeBron or George.

I'll hold Rondo to a high standard, and you wanna know why?  Because he should be healthy.  For all we know, Jeff came back too early.  Maybe he should've come back in January.

Look at Dwight Howard.  You can't tell me he came back ON TIME.  He looked really bad to start the season.  Now, he's playing better.

Derrick Rose probably isnt playing this season because he's not healthy.  That's a good decision by the Bulls.  It helps them long term.

I expect Rondo to come back healthy.  If he's not ready, keep him off the floor.  Next year is probably a wash, anyway.

Look, I like Jeff, but he is NEVER going to be a top five SF.

« Reply #274 on: February 24, 2013, 02:20:49 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green
You know why I don't think Green will be a top five SF?  Because the talent at that position is VERY good right now and for the future.  LeBron, Melo, George, Gay, etc.  these guys are better than Green right now, and will still be better in two years.

That awkward moment when you only count four.

And George and Gay aren't going to be guaranteed better. The only two guaranteed are LeBron and KD.
Green is on the level of George, Batum, and MAYBE Gay.
So apart from LBJ, KD, and Melo, it's George, Green, Batum, Gay.

Is he top two out of those four? We can only hope. But I think he will be.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]

« Reply #275 on: February 24, 2013, 02:25:35 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
2 more points

Hahaha, here we go:

Green dropped 31 on the freaking Phoenix Suns.  That ain't special, bud.  Was it impressive?  Sure it was.  I'm glad Jeff is being aggressive, but you can't say that that game means he's gonna be a star.  That's ridiculous.

Who cares if Melo doesn't play defense?  He's still unstoppable on offense.  Jeff isn't, and he also isn't as good a defender as LeBron or George.  Jeff plays good defense, but it's nowhere near LeBron or George.

I'll hold Rondo to a high standard, and you wanna know why?  Because he should be healthy.  For all we know, Jeff came back too early.  Maybe he should've come back in January.

Look at Dwight Howard.  You can't tell me he came back ON TIME.  He looked really bad to start the season.  Now, he's playing better.

Derrick Rose probably isnt playing this season because he's not healthy.  That's a good decision by the Bulls.  It helps them long term.

I expect Rondo to come back healthy.  If he's not ready, keep him off the floor.  Next year is probably a wash, anyway.

31 points against an NBA team. When JG has his games, who has stopped him? Who can stop him? What are you talking about...you think Jeff is stoppable? Mainly when he's double teamed, but I've not seen a ton of individual plays/players stop a determined Jeff.

Do I think he's ready now? no. and I said that...so we've got that. and I've also said that if Jeff was asked to be #1 on the team, I think we'd see an even HIGHER level of play from him.

I see little things that Jeff needs to work on. Go left. finish better. get a better handle. Things that have seemed to improve over the course of the season. But he's got a wonderful current skill set.

PG was shown confidence by his coach. and he just kinda came out of no where. and became the guy. I think the same can happen with JG.

I'm not a Melo fan. So you can take me out of that argument. He's a shooter. I don't see him being extremely efficient. I don't see him as a great defender. So when I'm talking great SFs, I see (now) KD and LBJ.

And don't we still talk about KD's aggressiveness? But JG will never be top because...?
right.

Jeff has the skills to be a star. No one thought PG could be a star either until he was ASKED TO DO IT!!!

« Reply #276 on: February 24, 2013, 02:27:41 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
I barely like Rudy Gay.
But again...when you're asked to be #1...

« Reply #277 on: February 24, 2013, 02:32:55 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney

And George and Gay aren't going to be guaranteed better. The only two guaranteed are LeBron and KD.

That awkward moment when you don't have any answers to my argument and try to nitpick.

You can add KD to that list.  Gay is going to be better than Green and so is George.

Gay and George are FAR better than Green right now.

Batum and Green are probably on the same level.

« Reply #278 on: February 24, 2013, 02:34:55 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I'm trying to contain my giddiness over the way Jeff Green's been playing lately.  Last night's performance was stunning, but it's not just last night, Jeff's been playing really well for awhile now.

I don't know if he'll ever be a top five small forward, but one thing that gives me hope is that he's never actually had the opportunity to be a starting small forward in this league.

I think it's possible that once he does get that opportunity, he could be a top five player at his position.  He sure is talented. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #279 on: February 24, 2013, 02:38:50 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green

That awkward moment when you don't have any answers to my argument and try to nitpick.

You can add KD to that list.  Gay is going to be better than Green and so is George.

I'm not nitpicking. You pointed out four players better than him, which means Green could be the fifth.

Gay and George are not far better tha Green. Compare George's third year stats to those of Green's. see?

If anything, I would definitely take Batum over Gay too. I think you're lacking knowledge in how good Gay, Batum, George are.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]

« Reply #280 on: February 24, 2013, 02:39:51 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green
I'm trying to contain my giddiness over the way Jeff Green's been playing lately.  Last night's performance was stunning, but it's not just last night, Jeff's been playing really well for awhile now.

I don't know if he'll ever be a top five small forward, but one thing that gives me hope is that he's never actually had the opportunity to be a starting small forward in this league.

I think it's possible that once he does get that opportunity, he could be a top five player at his position.  He sure is talented.

Has been my stance forever. He always had to play behind PP and KD so we haven't seen what he truly has as a starting SF in this point in his career. Yesterday was just his first start.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]

« Reply #281 on: February 24, 2013, 02:41:12 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
2 more points

Hahaha, here we go:

31 points against an NBA team. When JG has his games, who has stopped him? Who can stop him? What are you talking about...you think Jeff is stoppable? Mainly when he's double teamed, but I've not seen a ton of individual plays/players stop a determined Jeff.

Do I think he's ready now? no. and I said that...so we've got that. and I've also said that if Jeff was asked to be #1 on the team, I think we'd see an even HIGHER level of play from him.

I see little things that Jeff needs to work on. Go left. finish better. get a better handle. Things that have seemed to improve over the course of the season. But he's got a wonderful current skill set.

PG was shown confidence by his coach. and he just kinda came out of no where. and became the guy. I think the same can happen with JG.

I'm not a Melo fan. So you can take me out of that argument. He's a shooter. I don't see him being extremely efficient. I don't see him as a great defender. So when I'm talking great SFs, I see (now) KD and LBJ.

And don't we still talk about KD's aggressiveness? But JG will never be top because...?
right.

Jeff has the skills to be a star. No one thought PG could be a star either until he was ASKED TO DO IT!!!

The Suns suck.  Players drop 30 on teams all the time.  Wade dropped 33 on Philly last night.

Jeff is totally stoppable.  He has a predictable offensive game.  He's good at a lot of things, but the only thing he is elite at is inconsistency.  If you think Jeff is going to play very well EVERY game, then please tell me what you're smoking, because I really want it.

Jeff doesn't have the talent to be a #1 option.  He is best suited as a contender's fourth best player.

George wasn't shown confidence by his coach.  He HAD to step up, because nobody else on that Pacers team (except David West) has the capability to be THE man.  And everyone has thought George was going to be a star, so you don't know what you're talking about when you say he came out of nowhere.  I like to have arguments with people who know their stuff.

I'm not a Melo or Gay fan either.  That doesn't mean I can't acknowledge that they're good players.

« Reply #282 on: February 24, 2013, 02:42:56 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green
2 more points

Hahaha, here we go:

right.

The Suns suck.  Players drop 30 on teams all the time.  Wade dropped 33 on Philly last night.

Jeff is totally stoppable.  He has a predictable offensive game.  He's good at a lot of things, but the only thing he is elite at is inconsistency.  If you think Jeff is going to play very well EVERY game, then please tell me what you're smoking, because I really want it.

Jeff doesn't have the talent to be a #1 option.  He is best suited as a contender's fourth best player.

George wasn't shown confidence by his coach.  He HAD to step up, because nobody else on that Pacers team (except David West) has the capability to be THE man.  And everyone has thought George was going to be a star, so you don't know what you're talking about when you say he came out of nowhere.  I like to have arguments with people who know their stuff.

I'm not a Melo or Gay fan either.  That doesn't mean I can't acknowledge that they're good players.

He won't be a first option but second and third are possible too.
If anything, you guys blame him for being TOO consistent. He's playing at the same way he's been playing for seven years according To our stats. He's had what twenty fifteen point games? He's been playing very well since January.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]

« Reply #283 on: February 24, 2013, 02:43:00 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney

I'm not nitpicking. You pointed out four players better than him, which means Green could be the fifth.

Gay and George are not far better tha Green. Compare George's third year stats to those of Green's. see?

If anything, I would definitely take Batum over Gay too. I think you're lacking knowledge in how good Gay, Batum, George are.

Gay is an elite scorer.  George is an elite defender.  I said Batum and Green are on the same level.

I don't lack knowledge.  You just worship Green at an altar, and that's ok, just don't call me out on things that are false.

« Reply #284 on: February 24, 2013, 02:44:00 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
2 more points

Hahaha, here we go:

right.

He won't be a first option but second and third are possible too.
If anything, you guys blame him for being TOO consistent. He's playing at the same way he's been p,suing for seven years. He's had what twenty fifteen point games? He's been playing very well since January.

Yeah, he has been playing very well.  That doesn't mean he's going to be a top five SF in two years.