Author Topic: The Jeff Green thread  (Read 127467 times)

Re: Jeff Green - top 5 SF in 2 years
« Reply #225 on: February 23, 2013, 12:07:37 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Green made two shots, one from each elbow tonight that reminded me of someone.

With his back to the basket,he dribbled right,dribbled left, faced up, one dribble, dipped his shoulder into the defender, rocked back and hit the fallback fade away.

He must've picked that up in practice from what's his name.

Kid's learning and making progress. Even went left a few times tonight.Glad for him.

« Reply #226 on: February 23, 2013, 12:09:24 AM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
I think they are already getting his spot ready in the hall of fame, right next to Terrence Williams and Jordan Crawford.

Hey Vinnie, you have spent a good part of your life hammering him, a guy who had open heart surgery 13 months ago...and 3 days I think. Meanhwhile, he seems to be progressing. Lets assume he can do no right in you eyes for some reason. Do you have a reason for this degree of hatred? You have posted numerous sarcastic responses about his game today...as many as 5 or 6.

not to mention the blog post comments.
got to be a solid 45 including those

Vinnie isn't some college kid who think he is immortal so its beyond my understanding that he seems to have NO concept this man had open heart surgery. I get a 22 year old punk from Boston College not understanding. But a grown man with kids? No, I don't get it

What does his surgery have to do with any of this? Until the last few weeks, his play in Boston has mirrored his play for his entire career, inconsistent and passive.  Give it a rest with the lecture. My commentary has nothing to do with his surgery.  It is a great thing that they found his life  threatening condition and he is able to play again and liv a full life. Get off your high horse.

ironic you bring up high horses, vinnie. lol
i mean...you have nothing nice to say about the guy
when will he score 15? when will he score 20? when will he get 5 rebounds? when will he get 10?
he has been playing MUCH better since january, which is the problem. He's built a VERY consistent stretch and I think it's safe to say he's pretty much locked in.

what are you? a Bass fan or something?

What do I have to say about the guy? I have praised him left and right tonight. The game he played tonight is among the top 3 played by any Celtic player this year. As for Bass, Green is a far better player. I wanted Bass traded.

« Reply #227 on: February 23, 2013, 12:34:57 AM »

Offline wahz

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 101
I think they are already getting his spot ready in the hall of fame, right next to Terrence Williams and Jordan Crawford.

Hey Vinnie, you have spent a good part of your life hammering him, a guy who had open heart surgery 13 months ago...and 3 days I think. Meanhwhile, he seems to be progressing. Lets assume he can do no right in you eyes for some reason. Do you have a reason for this degree of hatred? You have posted numerous sarcastic responses about his game today...as many as 5 or 6.

Vinnie isn't some college kid who think he is immortal so its beyond my understanding that he seems to have NO concept this man had open heart surgery. I get a 22 year old punk from Boston College not understanding. But a grown man with kids? No, I don't get it

What does his surgery have to do with any of this? Until the last few weeks, his play in Boston has mirrored his play for his entire career, inconsistent and passive.  Give it a rest with the lecture. My commentary has nothing to do with his surgery.  It is a great thing that they found his life  threatening condition and he is able to play again and liv a full life. Get off your high horse.

You have no idea why his surgery matters??

Vinnie, if you are ever faced with what he was, I guess you will find out. But hey, maybe you'll be lucky.

« Reply #228 on: February 23, 2013, 12:40:48 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Vinnie, if you are ever faced with what he was, I guess you will find out. But hey, maybe you'll be lucky.
Can't believe I am siding with vinnie here, but what the heck does his surgery have to do with anything except that it is now a feel good story?

He was fully recovered from the surgery months and months ago. I am glad they detected his ailment and made the correction before, God forbid, anything tragic happened. But they caught it and corrected it and life goes on.

I think the last thing anyone who is put into a life threatening situation wants is for people to make excuses for them based on their experience or illness. Jeff Green, a professional athlete, would be even less likely to do such a thing.

Green has played, up until mid January or so, his usual, inconsistent, uninspired, passive, mediocre brand of basketball for the Celtics. In late January, he started playing consistent, aggressive, inspired ball playing to his strengths and playing inspired defense. Last night was just a continuation of that very good streak.

And I think his heart surgery was responsible for none of his previous problems and has nothing to do with his sudden resurgence.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 12:58:37 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #229 on: February 23, 2013, 12:46:19 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Green made two shots, one from each elbow tonight that reminded me of someone.

With his back to the basket,he dribbled right,dribbled left, faced up, one dribble, dipped his shoulder into the defender, rocked back and hit the fallback fade away.

He must've picked that up in practice from what's his name.

Kid's learning and making progress. Even went left a few times tonight.Glad for him.

Exactly my thoughts last night.  Same with the drives to the hoop.  Instead of contorting around contact to get an unhindered shot, he embraced it, flailed, chucked the shot up, and got to the line.  Reminds me of someone else I can't quite place too...

Still too early to make proclamations, but I think we are seeing developments in his game that show he can be more than just a pretty good scoring 3. 

« Reply #230 on: February 23, 2013, 12:57:42 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

Can't believe I am siding with vinnie here, but what the heck does his surgery have to do with anything except that it is now a feel good story?

He was fully recovered from the surgery months and months ago. I am glad they detected his ailment and made the correction before, God forbid, anything tragic happened. But they caught it and corrected it and life goes on.

I think the last thing anyone who is put into a life threatening situation wants is for people to make excuses for them based on their experience or illness. Jeff Green, a professional athlete, would be even less likely to do such a thing.

green has play, up until mid January or so, his usual, inconsistent, uninspired, passive, mediocre brand of basketball for the Celtics. In late January, he started playing consistent, aggressive, inspired ball playing to his strengths and playing inspired defense. Last night was just a continuation of that very good streak.

And I think his heart surgery was responsible for none of his previous problems and has nothing to do with his sudden resurgence.

His doctors had said a year ago that he wouldn't be fully back up to speed from his surgery until about March, which looks right on target. Sure he was cleared to play last summer, but that in no way means he was 100% recovered. He lost a year not only from pro basketball, but from any physical activity. Just look what happens to guys that are out of the league for a few months, they need a year to get back up to speed. He couldn't even exercise for almost a year, never mind play basketball in his driveway.

« Reply #231 on: February 23, 2013, 01:05:13 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Green has played, up until mid January or so, his usual, inconsistent, uninspired, passive, mediocre brand of basketball for the Celtics. In late January, he started playing consistent, aggressive, inspired ball playing to his strengths and playing inspired defense. Last night was just a continuation of that very good streak.

I don't know a ton about the procedure he had or recovery times but it seems like the time it takes to get back to full range of motion and trusting your body after whatever they had to do to his chest to get to his heart could be significant.

« Reply #232 on: February 23, 2013, 01:07:13 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

green has play, up until mid January or so, his usual, inconsistent, uninspired, passive, mediocre brand of basketball for the Celtics. In late January, he started playing consistent, aggressive, inspired ball playing to his strengths and playing inspired defense. Last night was just a continuation of that very good streak.

His doctors had said a year ago that he wouldn't be fully back up to speed from his surgery until about March, which looks right on target. Sure he was cleared to play last summer, but that in no way means he was 100% recovered. He lost a year not only from pro basketball, but from any physical activity. Just look what happens to guys that are out of the league for a few months, they need a year to get back up to speed. He couldn't even exercise for almost a year, never mind play basketball in his driveway.
Excuses. Just because his doctors said he would be at full speed come March doesn't mean he wasn't earlier.

I am sure Adrian Peterson's doctors thought he wouldn't get up to speed for a year as well. Professional athletes have a different constitution and access to better recovery drugs and physical training and trainers than the average person.

He's looked in excellent condition to me for months. I think his change over the last month or so is more mental than physical. He isn't relearning the system, he isn't playing tentatively like he's thinking the game, he's aggressive both offensively and defensively. I don't see how any of that is heart related. Its mental.

BTW, this goes back to the whole "team playing better without Rondo" thing. I feel a bunch of players on this team didn't start to be 100% invested and committed to this team until about the time Rondo went down. If they all had played with the passion, aggresiveness and dedication to winning when Rondo was healthy, this team would have had about 7-8 more wins than it did.

« Reply #233 on: February 23, 2013, 01:11:10 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

Excuses. Just because his doctors said he would be at full speed come March doesn't mean he wasn't earlier.

I am sure Adrian Peterson's doctors thought he wouldn't get up to speed for a year as well. Professional athletes have a different constitution and access to better recovery drugs and physical training and trainers than the average person.

He's looked in excellent condition to me for months. I think his change over the last month or so is more mental than physical. He isn't relearning the system, he isn't playing tentatively like he's thinking the game, he's aggressive both offensively and defensively. I don't see how any of that is heart related. Its mental.

BTW, this goes back to the whole "team playing better without Rondo" thing. I feel a bunch of players on this team didn't start to be 100% invested and committed to this team until about the time Rondo went down. If they all had played with the passion, aggresiveness and dedication to winning when Rondo was healthy, this team would have had about 7-8 more wins than it did.

That's the thing, it's not related to a weak heart, it's mental, in that he didn't play ball for almost a year, but that is due to his surgery. It takes a while to get your timing and motion and instinct back. Just look at the players that went to china during the lockout. They were even playing pro-ball, but playing in a slower league caused them to look washed up for almost a year after they returned. Just imagine what not playing at all does to a player when he's back in the NBA.

It's not "excuses". It is what it is.

Some of the shots he took for example, in Nov and Dec. he wasn't even looking at the basket before to shoot! He made drives going off the wrong foot and ending up at weird angles, etc. Things that you know he wouldn't do if he was himself.

« Reply #234 on: February 23, 2013, 01:31:10 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
But no matter how you look at it, he's improved a lot from 2011 and the beginning of this year. How could you not be at least a little optimistic?
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #235 on: February 23, 2013, 01:33:01 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I disagree with an earlier comment that he has been recovered for months and months. The biggest way heart surgery effects you is fatigue both cardiovascular fatigue and muscle fatigue. Early in the season he was able to make very athletic plays but he couldn't sustain them over a long period of time.

Just think about doing anything when you are tired vs doing it when you have your full wind. That he was able to do anything for us early in the season was an amazing feat.

He is following the pattern of any injured player, he has improved as the season has progressed. A lot of people attribute it to having more of an opportunity, but earlier in the year recovering from heart surgery I don't think he could have handled more minutes. To me he is attacking the rim more now because he has the energy to do so.

What he is now is an elite athlete with a good shooting touch. He still has a lot of room for improvement but with the opportunity to be a top option in our offense and the confidence from the coaches to do so I expect him to only improve, because to me his agression is improving which will help long term.

For me he will become a number one scorer for this team when he improves upon the following. 1. Left hand dribble, right now he primarily goes right when he becomes more comfortable driving with the other hand he will be very difficult to stop. 2. A counter move in the post, all his post moves end with a right handed hook over his left shoulder, if he could add a solid baseline drop step or a lefty hook he would make it so he couldn't be guarded by smaller players.

I expect him to improve upon these things and be a top 5 sf in two years. To me this recent play has shown that he will be capable of being the go to scorer on this team.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #236 on: February 23, 2013, 01:34:02 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
As of now I have, in order:

1) James
2) KD
3) Anthony
4) Pierce
5) Gay

Outside looking in - George, Granger, Igoudala, Deng

Up and comers like Leonard, Batum, and Barnes are the tier I would put Green in.

Of the top 5 Pierce is the only one whose window is almost closed. James, KD, and Melo will be there in two years. Paul George will likely join them by then, but I am real high on him.

Green may have a shot at that 5th spot, but as you can see above there is a lot of competition for it.

*Josh Smith would be 5th but I see him as more of a PF.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #237 on: February 23, 2013, 01:38:44 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

1) James
2) KD
3) Anthony
4) Pierce
5) Gay

Up and comers like Leonard, Batum, and Barnes are the tier I would put Green in.

Of the top 5 Pierce is the only one whose window is almost closed. James, KD, and Melo will be there in two years. Paul George will likely join them by then, but I am real high on him.

Green may have a shot at that 5th spot, but as you can see above there is a lot of competition for it.

Paul George is absolutely better than Pierce right now -- comparable offensive contribution plus shutdown defense. I love Paul, but this ship has sailed already.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #238 on: February 23, 2013, 01:41:05 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green

1) James
2) KD
3) Anthony
4) Pierce
5) Gay

If anyone is fifth now, it's George not Gay!

But yea, I see Pierces window closing and Green competing with George and Batum for top 5. The rest don't have as much upside in my opinion, andI think Gays also gonna be worse. He definitely has a chance to be top 7, but that isn't enough for me.

And I've been saying this since he sucked ;D
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #239 on: February 23, 2013, 02:26:56 PM »

Offline Bender B. Rodriguez

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 2
  • I'm Bender, Baby!

1) James
2) KD
3) Anthony
4) Pierce
5) Gay

If anyone is fifth now, it's George not Gay!

But yea, I see Pierces window closing and Green competing with George and Batum for top 5. The rest don't have as much upside in my opinion, andI think Gays also gonna be worse. He definitely has a chance to be top 7, but that isn't enough for me.

And I've been saying this since he sucked ;D

And since when has Gay not sucked?  ;D