Author Topic: giddens back to the D-League  (Read 11375 times)

Re: giddens back to the D-League
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2009, 11:36:37 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Not that it matters that much as he's not playing anyway, but why send him back while they have 3 players out? I mean, wouldn't he at least be an extra body in pcactice? Powe's out for like 3 weeks. Scal and TA are not likely to be back for quite some time. I'm kind of wondering, why now? The timing seem a little odd.

So that he can play in a game. We aren't even practicing these days due to a string of games with few days off in between.

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2009, 11:41:55 AM »

Offline SKY

• Drew Peterson
  • Tommy Points: 0
doesn't really matter...

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2009, 12:13:34 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
Is Giddens really that bad? From what little I've seen, he's long (like Posey), and can shoot the ball better than Walker.

Giddens has potential but not nearly as much as Walker. Walker is the better shooter. Shooting 80% from the line and .393% behind the arc when he was with the Flash. Walker is younger then Giddens, played only 2 years in college to Giddens four. Obviously Doc does not think that he can benefit the team at this point, and would be better off in the D-league where he can actually get minutes. I do not think that he can be compared to Posey in the sense that Posey has the ability to cover 3 different positions. IMO Giddens will not be as good of a player as Bill Walker.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2009, 04:07:46 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
From what I've seen of Giddens he has enough raw physical athletic ability to be a productive back up off guard in the NBA. Anything more than that is probably up to him and his work ethic. But I like his athleticism, aggressive play and his shotting ability. It wouldn't suprise me to see him be where Bill walker is this year...next year, by year's end and then be able to contribute in year three at a decent level.

I think as someone else said, just get him back down there and let him continue playing and learning. Makes sense to me.

I've seen enough to feel he can get there but as someone else also said, he's "young" right now, needs time.

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2009, 04:23:18 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
Is Giddens really that bad? From what little I've seen, he's long (like Posey), and can shoot the ball better than Walker.

Giddens has potential but not nearly as much as Walker. Walker is the better shooter. Shooting 80% from the line and .393% behind the arc when he was with the Flash. Walker is younger then Giddens, played only 2 years in college to Giddens four. Obviously Doc does not think that he can benefit the team at this point, and would be better off in the D-league where he can actually get minutes. I do not think that he can be compared to Posey in the sense that Posey has the ability to cover 3 different positions. IMO Giddens will not be as good of a player as Bill Walker.

Potential/Whos going to be the better player has nothing to do with why Walker gets PT over Giddens.  WHen Doc does decide to give youngs players some PT its always the ones who hustle and more imporantly understand the defensive schemes.  Most of us saw right ourselves on NBA TV during training camp how hard of a time Giddens was having trying to understand our team defense, while Bill Walker seemed to be picking it up nicely.  Although I wish Doc wasnt as harsh with it as he has been, I like his philosophy when it comes to this.  It shows young players that everything starts with defense on this team, potentially being able to put up 30 points on one end of the floor takes a backseat.

It potential alone was the deciding factor on whether young players got PT on the celtics or not then Gerald Green would be still be here and leading the NBA in minutes. (Sorry, couldnt resist :) )
Greg

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2009, 05:13:23 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I can't understand how anyone can have a definitive opinion on Giddens one way or the other unless they have been at the Celtics practices and shoot arounds and can see how much J.R. is retaining and how he compares to anyone else on the roster. It's easy to watch him in NBADL action and make some kind of assessment, but is the talent level there really any better than the talent level he saw while playing a Division I college schedule at UNM? I'm not sure it is.

While the circumstantial evidence is there for assuming that he may not have NBA game or be ready to compete at an NBA level(lack of PT, Danny's attempt at trading him, complete lack of confidence being shown in him by Doc when Doc was down to almost no players), I think, as I promised some here that I would, that most should keep an open mind until at least half way through next year. If by then he hasn't seen time still, kinda like Pruitt, then it might be time to write him off as a failed picked.

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2009, 05:35:23 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416

Potential/Whos going to be the better player has nothing to do with why Walker gets PT over Giddens.  WHen Doc does decide to give youngs players some PT its always the ones who hustle and more imporantly understand the defensive schemes.  Most of us saw right ourselves on NBA TV during training camp how hard of a time Giddens was having trying to understand our team defense, while Bill Walker seemed to be picking it up nicely.  Although I wish Doc wasnt as harsh with it as he has been, I like his philosophy when it comes to this.  It shows young players that everything starts with defense on this team, potentially being able to put up 30 points on one end of the floor takes a backseat.

It potential alone was the deciding factor on whether young players got PT on the celtics or not then Gerald Green would be still be here and leading the NBA in minutes. (Sorry, couldnt resist :) )

I was responding more to what Burnin was saying not to the whole playing time issue. Right now Walker is the better player and I dont expect this to change in the future. Obviosuly potential is not a deciding factor in who plays now. Gerald Green would need a basketball IQ to go along with all that potential. His IQ neutralizes his potential.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2009, 10:11:09 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
I can't understand how anyone can have a definitive opinion on Giddens one way or the other unless they have been at the Celtics practices and shoot arounds and can see how much J.R. is retaining and how he compares to anyone else on the roster. It's easy to watch him in NBADL action and make some kind of assessment, but is the talent level there really any better than the talent level he saw while playing a Division I college schedule at UNM? I'm not sure it is.

While the circumstantial evidence is there for assuming that he may not have NBA game or be ready to compete at an NBA level(lack of PT, Danny's attempt at trading him, complete lack of confidence being shown in him by Doc when Doc was down to almost no players), I think, as I promised some here that I would, that most should keep an open mind until at least half way through next year. If by then he hasn't seen time still, kinda like Pruitt, then it might be time to write him off as a failed picked.

This is really what it boils down too IMO. A slow developmental curve makes him vulnerable, regardless of potential. The second we can obtain a player at his position, next year or whenever, that is ready to contribute, he will be gone.

The same has applied to Pruitt all along, if POB had shown any semblance of a game he would atill be here instead of Gabe.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2009, 11:58:19 PM »

Offline BillfromBoston

• Author
  • Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 79
I guess the mystery continues. Is Giddens that bad? Is Giddens even on the roster next season?

Were we making comments like this when Pruitt spent the whole year in D-League last year?

;D...and 1 draft spot seperated the two, (Pruitt drafted 31, JR 30th)

JR Giddens can play - he does have some growing up to do in terms of his approach and preparation as a pro - but I fully expect him to spend the summer in Waltham and bust his ass to show the team what he's all about.

I expect JR to give TA a hard run for his job next training camp if the team doesn't make any major moves at the wing spot, which I don't see them doing.

JR is pretty much better than TA at everything on the court - TA has him in experience, which is a big factor, but will shrink as time passes.

It would be unwise to write off Giddens just yet...he will be a quality player in the NBA at some point...too talented to fail if he keeps working and doesn't fall into trouble...

« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2009, 08:01:00 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I guess the mystery continues. Is Giddens that bad? Is Giddens even on the roster next season?

Were we making comments like this when Pruitt spent the whole year in D-League last year?

;D...and 1 draft spot seperated the two, (Pruitt drafted 31, JR 30th)

JR Giddens can play - he does have some growing up to do in terms of his approach and preparation as a pro - but I fully expect him to spend the summer in Waltham and bust his ass to show the team what he's all about.

I expect JR to give TA a hard run for his job next training camp if the team doesn't make any major moves at the wing spot, which I don't see them doing.

JR is pretty much better than TA at everything on the court - TA has him in experience, which is a big factor, but will shrink as time passes.

It would be unwise to write off Giddens just yet...he will be a quality player in the NBA at some point...too talented to fail if he keeps working and doesn't fall into trouble...
I think your points are valid in terms of JR coming in next year motivated to get playing time and pushing TA for those minutes.  I would not be surprised to see TA's expiring deal used next year (with another player or 2) to get a better vet in the front court or PG).  JR might not get all TA's minutes in that instance but could show TA may be expendable enough to roll with another vet for a 1-year deal and have JR in place for primary backup the following year.

« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2009, 10:15:55 AM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315

I think it is also too soon to write of TA.

« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2009, 10:45:27 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

How can JR be better than TA at everything on the court?  TA is good enough to actually play in NBA games, JR is not.

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2009, 12:20:28 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649

How can JR be better than TA at everything on the court?  TA is good enough to actually play in NBA games, JR is not.

Understand that JR's problem is maturity and IQ, not talent level.  Sound familiar at all?  I actually think his skillset is very similar to TA, as well - great athlete, looks to be a heck of a defender.  Maybe a little more of a shooter where TA is a little more of a slasher.  FT problems are overblown, he's shot in the low 70's this year at Utah - still not where you want it for a guard, but certainly not the weakness it looked to be coming out of college.   

JR has the tools to be a good player, perhaps even a quality starter.  He has to get his head straight, which unfortunately isn't always easy to do.  Anyway, here's to hoping.