Author Topic: Rumor: Celtics refused to make Tatum available in trade talks with New Orleans  (Read 21027 times)

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2715
It sounds to me like Ainge was never seriously in this and was just working with the Pelicans front office to drive up the price for the Lakers. I am totally down with that.

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
It sounds to me like Ainge was never seriously in this and was just working with Demps to drive up the price for the Lakers. I am totally down with that.
And boy did he. So much draft compensation!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
As I posted in other threads lakers way overpaid. Good job Danny !!
This trade might set the lakers a decade back. They must be praying every day now that Davis pretzel stick legs don’t break

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Good. Rolling the dice on a guy who's already been dissatisfied with one team signing after one year is a dangerous game, we're already learning that with Kyrie (though that trade was much more favorable for us). Plus we'd probably have to lose the soul of the team in Smart. Not moving was the right decision here.

BTW did anyone see the reported picks involved? It's not just picks but swap rights.

#4 AND
2021 (top 8 protected) OR
2022 (unprotected) AND

2023 swap rights
2024 1st round
2025 swap rights (all unprotected)

LeBron will be 40 when the last swap rights convey. Lakers now have no draft assets to use to build their team. I'm glad we didn't beat what sure looks like the Lakers bidding against themselves.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 12:36:09 AM by fairweatherfan »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
People are too hung up on height. The league is continually moving away from traditional bigs. The Cavs won a title with 6'7 Kevin Love at PF, and sometimes they went with him and lbj as their bigs. GSW won 3 with Draymond Green at PF, and he wasn't even 6'6 without shoes, and they just played the finals with a 6'9 center. Siakam is hardly the most imposing PF, barely bigger than GH, and their true center was an ineffective vet they picked up at the trade deadline.

What we need are good players who fit what Brad and Danny want to do. For now, we have Baynes for those nights we face good big men, but the fact is, there aren't many big men on a night in night out basis who can give you trouble. Lack of height and bigs didn't doom us this year: dysfunction did.

We went to the EC Finals in 2017 & 2018 with less talent than we'll have on the floor next year.  No, we probably can't win a title in '20, but IMO, we're one move away from becoming a contender in '21 if Tatum is the player I believe he is.
Kevin Love is 6'9 barefoot, and 6'10 in shoes. Siakam is also around that height, maybe an inch taller with a plus wingspan. And if you're saying that we can get by with a bunch of 6'7 dudes you probably haven't watched the Bucks steamroll us with three 7 footers against Smallballsbrad this playoffs.
lol no Love isn't. You just made that up.  https://www.espn.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/34789/kevin-love-and-height-liars-in-shoes

The Bucks had some big men, but anyone can throw journeymen like Ilyasova and Mirotic out there, just like we could play Baynes more. Kyrie Irving was a better rebounder than Lopez this season.

We beat this almost same Bucks team in the playoffs last year. The difference wasn't height, other than Freak's height gives him an edge over everyone. The difference is we were a dumpster fire, and they have some good role players, supporting one of the 2 or 3 best players on the planet.
"lol no" he's also not 6'7, "you just made that up". And yeah anyone can do that...except for the Celtics, because we don't have a Mirotic or Ilyasova to slot in alongside Horford when we're up against teams like the Bucks. Height isn't just for rebounding, it's used for defense and taking advantage of a smaller team inside by attacking the paint. We beat "almost the same" bucks team last year not because we weren't a dumpster fire, but because they did not have the personnel to take advantage of our lack of size (they had Maker and Henson at C, and they didn't have Mirotic as a big combo forward), and had a vastly inferior coach who was replaced by Mike Budenholzer this season. And their good role players aren't really that much better than ours, if at all on paper. Difference is that size matters when you're playing against their schemes.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Offline shut_the_gate

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 26
Someone who might be available after this AD trade is Lonzo, I think it was rumoured earlier that he didn't want to play for Pelicans so they may want to flip him for more assets, someone else worth watching is Siakam if Leonard leaves and Raptors do a complete tear down and rebuild.

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Again, basketball is still a big man's game. Cs need bigs.

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
Someone who might be available after this AD trade is Lonzo, I think it was rumoured earlier that he didn't want to play for Pelicans so they may want to flip him for more assets, someone else worth watching is Siakam if Leonard leaves and Raptors do a complete tear down and rebuild.

Lonzo ball??   lol

Lavar says hi.

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 395
That’s a crazy package LAL is giving up for AD. Glad Ainge didn’t match that!
- LilRip

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1771
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

I'm pretty sure if Kawhi left and the Raptors got rid of all but one player, that one player would be Siakam.

Lonzo is interesting, but what are we really going to give up for him? Can't say I would be ecstatic having Lavar in town.

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
That’s a crazy package LAL is giving up for AD. Glad Ainge didn’t match that!

LeBron is pulling the strings there.

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121

That's why the Bucks signed Brook Lopez and the Raptors traded for Marc Gasol.

I totally agree that the Celts need bigs.

Even without Kyrie and Hayward, I think the Celts would've advanced to the NBA Finals in 2018 if the Celts had Horford and Ibaka.

Ainge had an oppotunity to get Ibaka at the trade deadline of 2017.
But Ainge refused to give up some of the assets because he was saving it for Anthony Davis.

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
Un-effing-believable.

I've heard that Danny wanted to do this trade, but one of the owners blocked it. I swear, if we just missed out on AD because Pags wanted to keep his Duke boy who played with his son...

If this is true, Danny needs to come out and flat out say so. "I wanted to make the Davis trade, but the owners nixed it." Otherwise it's his head on the chopping block.

Danny gets paid the big bucks to make the hard decisions. If, after a 15 year tenure, he still can't put his foot down and draw a line in the sand, then what is he even good for? Otherwise were just at the whim and mercy of a non-basketball guy's ideas of how to run a successful basketball franchise.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Un-effing-believable.

I've heard that Danny wanted to do this trade, but one of the owners blocked it. I swear, if we just missed out on AD because Pags wanted to keep his Duke boy who played with his son...

If this is true, Danny needs to come out and flat out say so. "I wanted to make the Davis trade, but the owners nixed it." Otherwise it's his head on the chopping block.

Danny gets paid the big bucks to make the hard decisions. If, after a 15 year tenure, he still can't put his foot down and draw a line in the sand, then what is he even good for? Otherwise were just at the whim and mercy of a non-basketball guy's ideas of how to run a successful basketball franchise.
[dang], can you provide a link for that?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth

Big mans game? Who was the lasz big man mvp, finals mvp?

On a top 20 list, how many Pf, C?
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger