Author Topic: Big men rotation.  (Read 1494 times)

Big men rotation.
« on: January 17, 2021, 04:51:12 PM »

Offline MickaelPietrus

• NGT
  • Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 8
Without Rob Williams, the C's big men rotation is looking pretty gnarly. Both TT and Grant Williams are starting and give you close to nothing on the offensive end, other than rebounds. TT has failed to be somewhat of an anchor for the Celtics defensively, which I expected to some degree. Daniel Theis is not the same player from last year. He looks a lot softer (literally gave two rebounds away today, you rarely ever see that happen once in a game), and less confident out there. Always seems like he is being overpowered, and at this point he is a misfit at both the 4 and the 5. Other than that, I don't think anyone expects Grant williams to even score a point anymore. Remember that buzz about him being a poor man's Draymond after the playoff run? Yeah say bye to that.

The positives have come from Rob, who will consistently bring energy and athleticism, despite being at the wrong place defensively often still -although much less than last season- (when he isn't he generally does quite well on that end, plus he will always come up with a couple of awesome recovery blocks). In my eyes, there is no question then when engaged/aware Rob is by far our best bet at that spot. I would go as far as to say on both ends at this point. On offense he is a roll guy that actually calls for the ball, and doesn't just fumble away. He is a threat at the rim, other than a great passer. 

Surprisingly, Tacko actually looks like a capable 3rd string rotation piece, especially with how TT and Theis have been performing. He looked pretty good defensively during his last couple of short stints (even on ball he seemed ok defensively), and despite the short sample size, I would like to see him at least get more burn. He is another guy that if made more aware of defensive position, can definitely be serviceable due to his length and tendency to alter shots.

I wouldn't mind one of TT or Theis + Grant being shipped out for an upgrade or solid wing for the TPE

Re: Big men rotation.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2021, 06:37:17 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Yeah... Our refusal to invest in NBA caliber bigs is perplexing... Remember when we had Al Horford and Aaron Baynes and literally any guard with a pulse could have lead the team to the conference finals?

Hopefully Ainge can trade Kemba or Smart for legit NBA 4/5 depth.