Author Topic: Idea to move kemba and get younger.  (Read 4139 times)

Idea to move kemba and get younger.
« on: January 04, 2021, 08:55:10 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52
A few moving pieces here.

Kemba, Theis, Edwards, Hield all to Spurs

Kemba/Mills/White
Hield/Vassell
Johnson/Walker
Aldridge/Lyles
Thies/Poeltl

Derozan and Gay to Kings

Fox/Joseph
Haliburton/GR3
Demar/Gay
Barnes/Bjelica
Holmes/Whiteside

Bagley Jr and Murray to the Celtics (creates another TPE of 16.7 million. Team can now use the full Hayward TPE on a player)

Murray/PP/Teague
Smart/Nesmith/Green
Brown/Romeo/Semi
Tatum/Bagley JR/GrantW
Timelord/Thompson

'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

Re: Idea to move kemba and get younger.
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2021, 09:11:25 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
so the Spurs get 3 starter-quality players, including an all-star, while giving up a couple of overrated players in Derozan and Gay to clear their roster while C's get back an underperforming kid with a malcontent father and a non-all star PG?

why would this even be proposed?

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2021, 09:18:05 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
Thread should be titled "Idea is to give up all star guard for a couple of jags".

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2021, 09:42:36 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
so the Spurs get 3 starter-quality players, including an all-star, while giving up a couple of overrated players in Derozan and Gay to clear their roster while C's get back an underperforming kid with a malcontent father and a non-all star PG?

To free major salary, force stevens to play Thompson and Timelord, bring in a very good prospect in Murray who better fits team needs at point and add more youth.

I think you are really undervaluing Murray, a 23 year old PG with size, speed, good offense and excellent defense.

Team would have a 5 mill TPE, a 28 mill tpe and a 16 mill TPE to add more pieces.
'21 Historical Draft

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2021, 10:51:03 AM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
The only way I would do this is if I know 100% that Walker will be a shell of his former self with both performance and durability issues combined with an expensive contract.

Since I probably won't know that for a while, then no.

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2021, 10:54:36 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I don't think the OP understands how trade exceptions are generated or work.

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2021, 11:17:38 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

To free major salary, force stevens to play Thompson and Timelord, bring in a very good prospect in Murray who better fits team needs at point and add more youth.

I think you are really undervaluing Murray, a 23 year old PG with size, speed, good offense and excellent defense.

Team would have a 5 mill TPE, a 28 mill tpe and a 16 mill TPE to add more pieces.
you're kidding right?

you value a small TPE and a decent PG prospect and unproven young big over a proven all-star PG and a proven big man that currently start for us AND you think you can force Brad to play who YOU want to see by giving away good players that have earned their time? 

You do know that just because Danny has a TPE at his disposal it doesn't mean it's going to be used, right?  if a player worth paying that kind of money isn't available, it's not going to be used.

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2021, 12:11:18 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Imo, Bagley is a bust.

- He's a below average shooter.
- He's a below average passer.
- He's a below average defender.

He's mostly a threat in the paint. Couldn't care less about one-dimentional players who score the majority of their points in the paint. We aren't in the 00s anymore. I also think he's a Center, not a PF. He ain't mobile enough to play D on the perimeter. Unfortunately, he ain't a rim protector either.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 12:24:51 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2021, 12:35:51 PM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton

you're kidding right?

you value a small TPE and a decent PG prospect and unproven young big over a proven all-star PG and a proven big man that currently start for us AND you think you can force Brad to play who YOU want to see by giving away good players that have earned their time? 

You do know that just because Danny has a TPE at his disposal it doesn't mean it's going to be used, right?  if a player worth paying that kind of money isn't available, it's not going to be used.

16 million is not a small TPE, its salary savings that allows team to use the FULL Hayward TPE of 28.5 million.
Kemba has alot of flaws, alot. Looking solely at him as some arbitrary "allstar" PG is shot sighted.
Murray is far more than a decent prospect

Timelord and to a lesser extent Thompson, are both better than Theis.

And Danny needs to use the TPE or else he just gave away multiple picks for nothing. If he does not use the TPE it is a fire-able offense.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 01:27:35 PM by Darth_Yoda »
'21 Historical Draft

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2021, 12:42:27 PM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
Imo, Bagley is a bust.

- He's a below average shooter.
- He's a below average passer.
- He's a below average defender.

He's mostly a threat in the paint. Couldn't care less about one-dimentional players who score the majority of their points in the paint. We aren't in the 00s anymore. I also think he's a Center, not a PF. He ain't mobile enough to play D on the perimeter. Unfortunately, he ain't a rim protector either.

He has only played 80 games, that is a part of the problem with him. It is more of a buy low sort of situation.

Bagley is only 21 almost 22 years old remember. Theis is 7 years older.

Not alot of young high potential bigs available, The Hayward thing screwed us out of getting Wood, imo, but Bagley is a guy that can make that Christian kind of jump.

'21 Historical Draft

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2021, 12:57:54 PM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
How about routing it a bit differently.

Kemba and Edwards to San Antonio

Hield, Bagley to Orlando

Gay, Romeo and Picks to Sacramento

Murray, Aaron Gordon, Terrance Ross to Boston.

Murray/PP/Teague
Smart/Nesmith/Green
Brown/Ross/Semi
Tatum/Gordon/Grant
Timelord/Thompson/Theis
'21 Historical Draft

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2021, 01:09:07 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

Bingo

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2021, 01:19:00 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

you're kidding right?

16 million is not a small TPE
Kemba has alot of flaws, alot. Looking solely at him as some arbitrary "allstar" PG is shot sighted.
Murray is far more than a decent prospect

Timelord and to a lesser extent Thompson, are both better than Theis.

And Danny needs to use the TPE or else he just gave away multiple picks for nothing. If he does not use the TPE it is a fire-able offense.
in today's NBA, yes, 16 million is small. 

he still has that large one from the Hayward deal and no top player available to use it on.   He's already got that one to use on a couple of middling players to fill out the roster if they become available.  he doesn't need another.

Letting the TPE expire would not be a surprise. 

this deal sets us back.  waaaay back. 

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2021, 01:19:49 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

I'm sure true, but I also wish I understood how TPEs work in trades (other than straight TPE for single player to match salary).

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2021, 01:23:15 PM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton

Then instead of just posting this, why not tell my why a TPE is not created in this instance?

I see outgoing from Celtics as 40.9 million with an incoming of only 23.2 million. Something has to be created to make such a deal happen. I did assume it would be a TPE, as generally when a team trades out more salary than it takes back it creates this exception to tie up any "loose ends on the deal".

Basically team would have shed 16+ million in salary which would allow for full use of the TPE created from the Hayward sign and trade.
'21 Historical Draft