Author Topic: Tracking Pro Players on 'Da Claws: Bill Walker  (Read 25859 times)

Re: Tracking Pro Players on 'Da Claws: Bill Walker
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2009, 12:06:12 AM »

Offline ToppersBsktball10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 27
  • Smooth As Silk.
I was at the game. Walker was great, Lester Hudson sucked.

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2009, 10:02:52 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
I watched part of the game.  Walker was a one man team...he was amazing...is there any shot he can't make?
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2009, 10:33:48 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Haven't watched a single game but looking at the box score it seems that people are judging how well Walker and Hudson did last game based primarily on scoring. Now, I agree, scoring is a big part of the game, maybe the most important, but there's no way either Lester or Bill make this team and crack the rotation based on their scoring.

What I want to know is are they taking care of the basketball? Are they playing great defense? Are they playing within the schemes of the offense and defense or just going free lance? Are they rebounding, boxing out properly, and being tenacious on the boards? Are they making the extra pass and promoting good ball movement?

Those are the things that are going to get them playing time in Boston, not scoring a lot of points or scoring very little points. I mean, let's be real here. Walker is a whole lot more likely to go 8 for 17 from the field than he is 14 for 17 and Lester is a lot more likely 6 for 14 than he is 3 for 14 shooting the ball on any given night.

Volume scoring or scoring dirths are not going to impress me much in the D-League based on shooting performances. Those will vary. What I want to see before I say these guys have had good or bad games is whether they have done all the other things right. Things that will get them playing time up here. I mean Walker had a great night he scored 33 points. Yeah but he had more turnovers than assists and rebounds combined and the guy he was covering scored 30 points.

I'm guessing that does not bode well for Bill Walker in the minds of Doc Rivers and Danny Ainge.

Bill Walker explodes for 33 points (14-17 FGM-A)
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2009, 10:37:45 AM »

Offline Global Celtic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 84
Billy's getting into a rythm after that knee surgery. He's becoming a really dangerous player with that mixture of power game and 3-point range.

He scored 33 points in Maine's 113-105 loss against Fort Wayne.
Lester got 7 points and 5 assists. Maine still holds the second best score in D-League (7-2). 

Re: Bill Walker explodes for 33 points (14-17 FGM-A)
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2009, 10:44:05 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Hopefully he will be ready to contribute by the second half of the season, he would be a great energy guy off the bench.

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2009, 10:48:17 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
He also gave up 30 points and had more turnovers than rebounds and assists combined. Scoring doesn't impress me for guys who will coming off the bench in Boston and be expected to defend, pass, rebound, box out and move without before they will be expected to score.

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2009, 11:32:33 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
He also gave up 30 points and had more turnovers than rebounds and assists combined. Scoring doesn't impress me for guys who will coming off the bench in Boston and be expected to defend, pass, rebound, box out and move without before they will be expected to score.
Well put :) tp
Billy Billy, do a better job
I will try to catch a game or two over the next month
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2009, 11:49:37 AM »

Offline Dog_Lover106

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 12
FWIW.....quick "scouting report"  from last nights game:

Sure it was only one game, but I was sitting about 6 rows from our GM, right at center court and it was very obvious that Lester is simply not an effective point guard right now ... even at the D-League level.

Perhaps it works a bit at the defensive end, as he really gets after it and his is very physical and strong. But he simply had trouble getting the ball up the court last night and was completely over matched by Oliver Lafayette.

Maybe it was just a bad shooting night for him, as his shot looked very flat, but his ball handling skills are suspect at this time.

Walker on the other hand pretty much did it all on the offensive end and he also played very good defense.

He had two sick dunks in traffic and several finishes that just left you shaking your head.

Yes, he would come into the lane making you think he might be able to get off a quick floater or short pull up jumper. Instead, he would just lift effortlessly and glide right to the rim for a beautiful finger roll with either left or right hand.

You would never know he has "knee issues" as there was no brace or wrap on either knee and he really is on another level with his physical skill set. Do not think he is 6' 6" though?

He did make some poor cross court passes that resulted in turnovers, but his shot looked very pure from the three point line.

Also, he used great judgment several times by passing up open threes and instead taking it to the rack against his run out defenders.

Alexis Ajinca clearly has some flaws, but it is hard to believe he is not on an NBA roster. Looks much bigger than his listed 7 feet and is very active at both ends. Sure it is tough to tell from one D-League game.....but he looks very talented to me and it appears he would give Charlotte everything Chandler does at about $10 million less.

We had a Vitaly sighting as he is an assistant for Fort Wayne. Yikes, just when I had finally put that era out of my mind the emotional scars return. Haha!