Author Topic: Defense offer glimmer of hope  (Read 2249 times)

Defense offer glimmer of hope
« on: October 13, 2019, 04:15:21 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
So I know it’s been a few preseason games but I’m quietly encouraged by the defense of this team.  As usual, it’s not a bunch of great defenders.  I think the versatility of the guys, being able to switch almost 1-5 might mean the team exceeds expectations this year.

I know we had a similar make up last year but I’m going to blame everything on kyrie.

Re: Defense offer glimmer of hope
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2019, 04:17:39 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
So I know it’s been a few preseason games but I’m quietly encouraged by the defense of this team.  As usual, it’s not a bunch of great defenders.  I think the versatility of the guys, being able to switch almost 1-5 might mean the team exceeds expectations this year.

Its also against the Magic and Cavs, two of the not so good offensive teams in the league. And Vuc was out for the Magic.

But that said, they have dominated.

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2019, 04:30:42 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
Yeah, I don’t expect to hold teams in the 60’s.  But they have been suffocating.

Its also against the Magic and Cavs, two of the not so good offensive teams in the league. And Vuc was out for the Magic.

But that said, they have dominated.

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2019, 05:05:43 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Yeah, I want to see them against a team with a good big, that I think we will be ok against guard and wing dominant teams

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2019, 05:10:56 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
Yeah, I want to see them against a team with a good big, that I think we will be ok against guard and wing dominant teams

That why Phili will be such a test, MIL as well. Horford/Embiid and Giannis/Lopez will be tough match ups for us.

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2019, 05:28:50 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

Philly is going to be a good barometer of where we are at as a team.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2019, 06:00:48 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
I’ll say this: I feel a heck of a lot better than I did after the hornets game. They mailed that one in. Last two games have been more like it.

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2019, 06:13:30 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
The defensive intensity is encouraging. Timelord stuck out to me today.  I know he came into the league with a reputation as being somewhat lazy - definitely not the case.  He was contesting everything. 

Looks to me like there's going to be a 3 headed center rotation to start with Theis, Williams and Kanter.  Hopefully they can get by with that. 

I want to see them play a real team though.  I know Orlando should be decent, but they didn't show up the other night.

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2019, 06:39:04 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 732
Yes - only preseason. But remember how last year's preseason games served as such a harbinger of things to come ?
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2019, 06:44:58 PM »

Offline Valid

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27

Philly is going to be a good barometer of where we are at as a team.
I would say the end of December and beginning of January will be a good barometer of where we are as a team.

Beating Philly or losing to Philly in an isolated game on opening night when rotations are still being forged and chemistry is still being developed won't tell us much of anything.

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2019, 10:36:15 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
This team’s Chemistry is so much better than last year's.

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2019, 08:11:43 AM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
GWiliams made a couple great defensive plays. He still needs to be more consistent on his perimeter defense.

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2019, 12:08:52 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
We have played against bad team

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2019, 12:13:13 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121

We may have played against a bad team, but it's very clear this year's Celts players are more active on defense.

Even against Orlando the Celts were very good on defense.

This current Celts team will surprise a lot of NBA fans after a couple of months.

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2019, 03:19:47 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas

We may have played against a bad team, but it's very clear this year's Celts players are more active on defense.

Even against Orlando the Celts were very good on defense.

This current Celts team will surprise a lot of NBA fans after a couple of months.
Yeah, I agree.  It’s one thing to beat bad teams.  It’s another thing entirely to completely suffocate them multiple games in a row.

I understand that certain matchups will be more challenging but if the team can bring their hard hat on defense on a night to night basis, they’ll win a lot of games.