Author Topic: Celtics in BIG trouble  (Read 5805 times)

Celtics in BIG trouble
« on: October 12, 2019, 04:30:33 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Think we all knew this all season long, Celtics has no big inside which will doom us like last season..I really like Katner but defense is iffy..French guy is too raw..Theis be hurt before opener..Tacko a project..Williams, to me, may just be a backup his whole career..i didnt like the pick then i dont like it mow (i was wanting Robinson)!!. then Ainge went out on draft night with 4 picks and came away with 4 guards, ouch!! But hopefully these guys can prove me wrong
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 12:39:37 PM by Donoghus »
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

Re: Celtics in BIG troublr
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2019, 04:50:19 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Think we all knew this all season long, Celtics has no big inside which will doom us like last season..I really like Katner but defense is iffy..French guy is too raw..Theis be hurt before opener..Tacko a project..Williams, to me, may just be a backup his whole career..i didnt like the pick then i dont like it mow (i was wanting Robinson)!!. then Ainge went out on draft night with 4 picks and came away with 4 guards, ouch!! But hopefully these guys can prove me wrong

I think they will.

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2019, 04:56:44 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
You are obviously wrong

RW  will an all star cause he hired a life manager and a cook and he doesn't skip training sessions

Serious mode on
Reading the front court names one after another made me a bit sad.. Boy we are thinner than thin

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2019, 06:53:41 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
Of course it’s an issue. I am also pretty sure Danny knows it’s an issue.  The better Gordon, Theis, Kanter, Brown, Tatum and the rookies... look early on the more legit assets Danny has to use to upgrade.  Last night was fun.

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2019, 06:54:03 AM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
Sure hope these first two outings from Vin Poirier were an aberration and that it's going to take time for him to acclimate to life in the NBA.

If his current performances continue as they've been, I may end up praying for Yabu's return. (just kidding).

In Charlotte it seemed like he was getting out-hustled and out muscled. He was getting caught underneath for rebounds.  His defense was fair and his offense non-existent. Although, that could be more a result of team play and design. 

There's been speculation and banter on this site as to who Danny might cut if he wants add both Tacko and Green. Before last night my list of possible candidates included Semi, Brad W, and Max S.

After last night, I might add Vin Poirier to that list. We'll have to give him more time to adjust. I'm left wondering if he'll fill our need for interior rebounding, defense and a spark on offense from the center position. As of now I just don't see it coming.
My guess is they'll be centers in the NBA who will be cut or someone in the G-League that could be a better fit. Since I'm a Tacko fan - I would prefer it to be this big guy. 

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2019, 08:16:54 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
There's a reason Brad is making ball pressure the #1 point of emphasis on defense.  They need to be rock solid on the perimeter in order to compensate for the shortcomings at the 5 spot.   

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2019, 08:33:01 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Sure hope these first two outings from Vin Poirier were an aberration and that it's going to take time for him to acclimate to life in the NBA.

If his current performances continue as they've been, I may end up praying for Yabu's return. (just kidding).

In Charlotte it seemed like he was getting out-hustled and out muscled. He was getting caught underneath for rebounds.  His defense was fair and his offense non-existent. Although, that could be more a result of team play and design. 

There's been speculation and banter on this site as to who Danny might cut if he wants add both Tacko and Green. Before last night my list of possible candidates included Semi, Brad W, and Max S.

After last night, I might add Vin Poirier to that list. We'll have to give him more time to adjust. I'm left wondering if he'll fill our need for interior rebounding, defense and a spark on offense from the center position. As of now I just don't see it coming.
My guess is they'll be centers in the NBA who will be cut or someone in the G-League that could be a better fit. Since I'm a Tacko fan - I would prefer it to be this big guy.
We spent actual cap space to sign Poirier (yes he's making more than a min), we're likely going to give him plenty of time to acclimatise.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2019, 12:31:59 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja

We spent actual cap space to sign Poirier (yes he's making more than a min), we're likely going to give him plenty of time to acclimatise.
poirier has played how many pre-season minutes so far that allow us to definitively judge him as an nba player? i dont know if he will be a good player or not, but given ainge has been pretty good at picking up players from europe on the cheap so far, i am willing to wait and see on poirier.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2019, 12:39:27 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Center pecking order as of today:

1. Theis
2. Kanter
3. R. Williams
4. Poirier

As/if RW3 gains more familiarity with the system, I think he and Theis will inter-change as starting center, with Kanter generally remaining the first big off the bench, to play with 2nd unit.  Starting 5 should be more defensive/system oriented, and not need touches on offensive, given the other starters.

Re: Celtics in BIG trouble
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2019, 01:01:15 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
I think Theis is a pretty decent stopgap center for the time being. He showed last night how effective he can be with the starting lineup. Rebounding may suffer, but Theis makes up for it in his mobility. I also think Williams will get better throughout the season, though I must say I have been disappointed with his development in the few minutes we've seen him in the preseason thus far.

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2019, 01:30:22 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I like what I saw from Williams. He needs more time. They must like what they saw from him too, being willing to start him in the first pre-season game.

I like what I've seen at times. He rotates to help well sometimes, and doesn't other times. I like how he moves the ball quickly around the perimeter on offense too. Young bigs are normally a bit slower in the decision-making out there, but he does hand-offs with pace and dives hard. That's promising.

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2019, 02:48:32 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134

Ouch ?? Hahahaha

All 4 picks look darn promising. If I was the owner, I’d immediately give everyone in the front office a raise. To come away with that type of talent with 4 picks is pretty darn impressive.

I’m super pumped about Edwards. It’s like we signed JJ Redick.

Romeo has big time upside. Could be a legit future all-pro for decades to come.

Williams is that typical glue guy. Does everything real well from a team aspect, and is already more than comfortable outside.

Waters is a true PG talent.

Coach has to be thrilled with all the talent accumulated this past draft.

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2019, 05:48:43 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I'm okay with the big so long as the other guys pick up the slack in rotations and rebounding

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2019, 06:59:54 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
Poirier didn't play a single minute for France against Team USA in the FIBA World Cup.
If Poirier can't even be a part of the rotation for the French national team, I'm not so sure he'll be better in the NBA.

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2019, 07:16:09 PM »

Offline shut_the_gate

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 26
I am still very interest in Mo Bamba, I wonder what it would take to make a trade for him.