Author Topic: Time to think about trading Tatum?  (Read 18416 times)

Time to think about trading Tatum?
« on: December 13, 2019, 10:36:10 AM »

Offline Humble G

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 983
Tatum is still a really good player but I'm not confident on him reaching his ceiling or potential and IMO he is a little overrated. I'm not sold on keeping him nor am I sold on trading him BUT I am starting to wonder if a trade should be made while there is still hope of him making that next step up. Better to trade him now while he has high value....bc his value could take a hit if he continues to struggle shooting and turnovers.

Tatums Pros: can score, rebounds well, defense is solid
Cons: shot selection, decreasing shooting % across the board FG, 3p, and FT, turnovers

IF it is time to trade him what is his value?

One trade idea(my own, didn't read anywhere) that I find interesting is with Washington.

Tatum/Kanter for Bryant/Bertans... works in trade machine

Bertans: has been killing it this year from 3 and plays decent defense and rebounds: 6'10.
Bryant: has offensive tools and has really been working on his defense.

BOS Lineup:
Kemba/Brown/Hayward/Bertans/Bryant with Smart/Theis off the bench

For Washington: Tatum/Beal is a nice combo but not sure they really would trade Bryant

Re: Time to think about trading Tatum?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2019, 10:41:19 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
Tatum is still a really good player but I'm not confident on him reaching his ceiling or potential and IMO he is a little overrated. I'm not sold on keeping him nor am I sold on trading him BUT I am starting to wonder if a trade should be made while there is still hope of him making that next step up. Better to trade him now while he has high value....bc his value could take a hit if he continues to struggle shooting and turnovers.

Cons: shot selection, decreasing shooting % across the board FG, 3p, and FT, turnovers

One trade idea(my own, didn't read anywhere) that I find interesting is with Washington.

Bertans: has been killing it this year from 3 and plays decent defense and rebounds: 6'10.

BOS Lineup:

For Washington: Tatum/Beal is a nice combo but not sure they really would trade Bryant
I am praying for you on this blog with that trade proposal lol.... don't expect a good reaction.
Bryant is injured and maybe done for the season. Bertans plays "defense" on the worst defensive team in the league in recent history and is about to be overpaid next season by Atlanta or Memphis.
Unless you're getting 2 unprotected picks I am not sure how can you justify this trade....

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2019, 10:42:15 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

BOS Lineup:

Yeah...

Bryant + Bertans for Tatum?

I want whatever you're smoking dude. That's probably like the worst trade proposal in months...
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2019, 10:47:46 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Ew. I get that we should trade Tatum for a transcendent talent, but why are we talking about trading away a 21 year old All-Star calibre wing for a pu pu platter?
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2019, 10:51:58 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
The Spurs dumped Bertans to clear salary space to sign Marcus Morris.

So as yourself, is a guy who is on the level of Marcus Morris + Thomas Bryant worth what even the pessimists around the league view as a future all-star?

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2019, 10:52:27 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
We lost by 5, from Philly shooting 50% from 3. Tatum had a terrible game, and Tobias Harris turns into KD at certain parts of the game...

Tatum needs to bulk up, work on his left hand finishing, and STOP TAKING those ugly freakin' floaters... They aren't even good shots... Their so out of control it frustrates me greatly.

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2019, 10:53:02 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Ew. I get that we should trade Tatum for a transcendent talent, but why are we talking about trading away a 21 year old All-Star calibre wing for a pu pu platter?
Because Bertans is having a 25 game shooting stretch that's as supernova as some of Steph's hot streaks.

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2019, 10:54:57 AM »

Offline Humble G

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 983
I was unaware of Bryant injury...reading 3 weeks then re-evaluate.

I'm still high on both those players: Bertans and Bryant

I was a fan of Tatum and liked what he did his rookie year but after last year I slowly began lose hope that he was going to be a great player and this year hasn't helped that. Like I said he is still a really good player and has a high ceiling I am just not confident he is going to get much better.

I know I am in the minority that would do that WAS trade and thats why I am not a GM lol

BUT the point was should BOS think about trading Tatum? I see the potential in Tatum but it could be just that...potential.

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2019, 10:56:12 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
Man this is gonna be a long six days.

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2019, 10:59:35 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

I was a fan of Tatum and liked what he did his rookie year but after last year I slowly began lose hope that he was going to be a great player and this year hasn't helped that. Like I said he is still a really good player and has a high ceiling I am just not confident he is going to get much better.

I know I am in the minority that would do that WAS trade and thats why I am not a GM lol

BUT the point was should BOS think about trading Tatum? I see the potential in Tatum but it could be just that...potential.
Why would you trade a 21 year old all-star potential two way wing for a one-way prospect center, and a 27 year old one way shooter on a hot streak

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2019, 11:03:46 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas

I don't get why people give Tatum so much hate, but Brown besides his FG%, is averaging the same across the board. Tatum's shot selection is iffy, but if he makes like half of those mid-range fadeaways, no one would even be complaining..

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2019, 11:04:47 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
We lost by 5, from Philly shooting 50% from 3. Tatum had a terrible game, and Tobias Harris turns into KD at certain parts of the game...

Tatum needs to bulk up, work on his left hand finishing, and STOP TAKING those ugly freakin' floaters... They aren't even good shots... Their so out of control it frustrates me greatly.

Tatum could really learn from Jaylen!  JB has put on muscle and attacks the basket every chance he gets. AND, he's a tough player to defend.

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2019, 11:07:20 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
another thread that will not age well.

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2019, 11:10:21 AM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Maybe the OP is the Celtics Strong version of Jason Vorhees, and is trying to kill us all with that trade proposal. After all, today is Friday the 13th.

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2019, 11:13:22 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas

Tatum could really learn from Jaylen!  JB has put on muscle and attacks the basket every chance he gets. AND, he's a tough player to defend.

JB has always been more muscular, his body was NBA ready. My only issue is Tatum tries to either do his terrible floater, fadeaway, or try to initiate contact, but throw his hands up when he doesn't get any instead of running back on defense. He really needs to be more comfortable with his left.