Author Topic: Fab Melo vs a bunch of much shorter guys (Red Claws vs Stampede)  (Read 8676 times)

Fab Melo vs a bunch of much shorter guys (Red Claws vs Stampede)
« on: December 26, 2012, 10:29:34 PM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tj2GsfPw3JU#!

Game looks like a full grown man vs. preadolescent teens. This is a team that's 1-10 in the D-League.

Still, Fab's growth is fantastic. I know it's the D-league guys but compared to when he was in the Summer League, Fab looks much, much better.

Edit: Only 4 rebounds but he's been tapping a lot of loose rebounds out and creating possessions.

I can see why Fab was voted the funniest rookie. 2:20:00 ish he's a manchild
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 11:21:37 PM by bfrombleacher »

Re: Fab Melo vs a bunch of much shorter guys (Red Claws vs Stampede)
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 10:41:12 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
His hands need some work on the boards.  Better to grab them than tap them but tapping is ok when you can't grab.

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 10:47:58 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Melo with a HUGE ggggggggggggggg slam  ;D

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 10:54:15 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
ANother Huge........slam...Melo playing with kids

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 11:22:59 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
Melo 32 points and 9 rebound,  maybe 9 blocks

almost a triple double ;)

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 11:57:12 PM »

Offline European NBA fan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
At least we know now that small ball doesn't work against Melo :D

A couple of notes:
It looks like he is in excellent shape. The stamina issues may have been more about adjusting to the pace.
He seems pretty comfortable at the charity stripe. And the form is ok, if not good.

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2012, 12:01:26 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
At least we know now that small ball doesn't work against Melo :D

A couple of notes:
It looks like he is in excellent shape. The stamina issues may have been more about adjusting to the pace.
He seems pretty comfortable at the charity stripe. And the form is ok, if not good.

Melo has one up on Howard already.... there will be no HACK A MELO...has a good free throw stroke

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2012, 03:00:17 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
well these last two games really shot up Melo's production this season.  In 10 games he's averaging 10 points, 6.7 rebounds, 3.9 blocks (now tied for #1 with Varnado) in only 25.4 minutes.  If you projected that to 37 minutes, you'd have 15 points, 10 rebounds and 5.7 blocks.  I guess he deserves a little credit for starting to come around. 

If you project Varnado's 10 game d-league averages to 37 minutes it would be 17 points, 12 rebounds, 4.7 blocks. 

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2012, 04:24:12 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
Now he's got some confidence and he's going for putbacks he is definitely dominant at D-League level just as a tree that dunks.

He definitely still has to work on his defensive positioning at times though. If he works on good positioning to go with his ability to predict shots and leap, a 20 block game in the D-league wouldn't be outside the realms of possibility.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2012, 06:45:13 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Sad thing is that he should have been doing this from the get go.   Syracuse is a great program some of those D leaguers don't have his talent or size or pedigree.   But it is encouraging.

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2012, 07:21:51 AM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
Props to those who are scouting Fab in the D League.

That's awesome.  Love the high release on his hook shot (and the fact that he has a hook shot). He will definitely be an asset for the C's soon enough.

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2012, 08:32:31 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Sad thing is that he should have been doing this from the get go.   Syracuse is a great program some of those D leaguers don't have his talent or size or pedigree.   But it is encouraging.
that's actually a good (and sad) point.  Syracuse doesn't exactly churn out fundamentally-sound players but they usually have a higher talent level and tend to dominate lesser competition. 

At least he seems to be progressing.  I may have to change my forecast from 2 years of D-league before joining the C's roster to joining it partway through the next season.  I hope he proves me wrong and develops to the point where he's a solid backup center starting next year but I think that's expecting way too much.

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2012, 08:55:21 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I'm surprised that his 14-block game (complete with a triple double) from 12/22 went largely unnoticed on the blog.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2012, 09:08:15 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
I have to say , Melo seems to be getting the timming of his jumps better.  Some of his put back dunks off the rim were nicely done and he was running the court well for a big man. Celtics have already begain to mold him . 

He was practicing on 6'6" or 6'8" guys last night. But practice is practice, gotta start small and work his way up .  He looked great and would be dominating presence in college had he stayed.

I like the fact , Melo is trying to build at least a little offensive game , not just be a shotblocker or another Hollins. 

As for Defending and scoring on guys like Hilbert, Gasols, Lopezs, Howard ect ....he has a LONG road to travel .

I'm hoping he can hang around and become a nice 2 nd string bench center in maybe another year.  He has good energy , attitude and is coachable.

If he has several more games in row with this production , gotta think it will raise Danny's eyebrow.  ;)

« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 09:17:47 AM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2012, 09:21:54 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I have to say , Melo seems to be getting the timming of his jumps better.  Some of his put back dunks off the rim were nicely done and he was running the court well for a big man. Celtics have already begain to mold him . 

He was practicing on 6'6" or 6'8" guys last night. But practice is practice, gotta start small and work his way up .  He looked great and would be dominating presence in college had he stayed.

I like the fact , Melo is trying to build at least a little offensive game , not just be a shotblocker or another Hollins. 

As for Defending and scoring on guys like Hilbert, Gasols, Lopezs, Howard ect ....he has a LONG road to travel .

I'm hoping he can hang around and become a nice 2 nd string bench center in maybe another year.  He has good energy , attitude and is coachable.

If he has several more games in row with this production , gotta think it will raise Danny's eyebrow.   ;)
yes, probably as a trade chip.  hopefully other teams are taking notice as well and will consider him a decent trade chip instead of a throw in.