Author Topic: AD is on another level  (Read 8209 times)

Re: AD is on another level
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2019, 10:12:22 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Here's the thing, though.

If we DON'T trade for AD and leave the team AS IS - where does THAT leave us?

Would Jaylen be content coming off the bench for the rest of his career? Not fair to him - he has the talent to start on most teams out there.

Same with Jayson...with his star shining so brightly shouldn't he get the opportunity to be the face of another team?

If we keep this team AS IS - can they achieve greatness?

Do we keep GH in a bench role - even though he is CLEARLY trending back to his All-Star level play?

We've got a log-jam here....a critical point in this team's future.

Now - "IF" this team somehow goes on to win Banner 18 THIS YEAR - my argument is a bit moot. I've been wrong before and I'd own it if I were wrong again.

But for the time being you make this trade for Anthony Davis...just my take.

So we're just chopped-liver now? We're one of the few best teams in the league and you don't see that's BECAUSE of Tatum, JB and Smart.

I know y'all can't see that because you're too busy looking at their weaknesses to see their strengths. JB looks more like the second coming of Kobe than any player in the league right now, and he's the one that's given the most crap.

All of y'all have watched the league for years, so I don't know why y'all think 2nd and 3rd year players are peak.  It is never that way.

AD, Gordon and Kyrie are not beating the Warriors...cause that's all you're gonna be able to afford with this direction you wanna go.
Second coming of Kobe??? Seriously? I like our young guys too, but no wonder why other team's fans call Celtics fans delusional. As for the last part, I would take prime AD, prime Kyrie, and Brad Stevens over any other team in the league right now (including our own).

I am for the youth movement but JB aint no Kobe.

Kobe wasn't no Kobe in his third year...that's my point.

Oh yes he was... you better go back and look. Kobe was Kobe his first year in the league.

Kobe was out of high school, young and light in the butt. His game looked Jordanish and was recognized for it, but everyone knew he wouldn't be a game-changer until later.

He wasn't even better than me back then. Stop it :)
He was literally already an All-Star at the stage of his career you’re referring to.

Sounds like a game changer to me.

What year do you think Kobe came out? You realize he was 18 out of high school with players like Eddie Jones ahead of him? You realize Jones and other players were real good right?

You really think he had 20 points a game his rookie year? No wonder I'm having such a hard time understanding.
https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/bryanko01.html

Maybe I’m having a hard time understanding because your point is inconsistent. You went from JB is looking like the next Kobe, to Kobe being in his 3rd year wasn’t “really Kobe”, to rookie Kobe not being a 20 point scorer.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2019, 10:12:39 PM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
And?

Being an all-star doesn't make me quake in my boots. Like I said, I didn't worry about LA until Shaq got there.

I'm not really a stat guy and go by what I can see.

« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2019, 10:14:30 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
And?

Being an all-star doesn't make me quake in my boots. Like I said, I didn't worry about LA until Shaq got there.

Shaq was there Kobe's rookie year. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2019, 10:16:11 PM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford

Would Jaylen be content coming off the bench for the rest of his career? Not fair to him - he has the talent to start on most teams out there.

Same with Jayson...with his star shining so brightly shouldn't he get the opportunity to be the face of another team?

Do we keep GH in a bench role - even though he is CLEARLY trending back to his All-Star level play?

Now - "IF" this team somehow goes on to win Banner 18 THIS YEAR - my argument is a bit moot. I've been wrong before and I'd own it if I were wrong again.

So we're just chopped-liver now? We're one of the few best teams in the league and you don't see that's BECAUSE of Tatum, JB and Smart.

I know y'all can't see that because you're too busy looking at their weaknesses to see their strengths. JB looks more like the second coming of Kobe than any player in the league right now, and he's the one that's given the most crap.

All of y'all have watched the league for years, so I don't know why y'all think 2nd and 3rd year players are peak.  It is never that way.

AD, Gordon and Kyrie are not beating the Warriors...cause that's all you're gonna be able to afford with this direction you wanna go.
Second coming of Kobe??? Seriously? I like our young guys too, but no wonder why other team's fans call Celtics fans delusional. As for the last part, I would take prime AD, prime Kyrie, and Brad Stevens over any other team in the league right now (including our own).

Oh yes he was... you better go back and look. Kobe was Kobe his first year in the league.

Kobe was out of high school, young and light in the butt. His game looked Jordanish and was recognized for it, but everyone knew he wouldn't be a game-changer until later.

He was literally already an All-Star at the stage of his career you’re referring to.

What year do you think Kobe came out? You realize he was 18 out of high school with players like Eddie Jones ahead of him? You realize Jones and other players were real good right?

You really think he had 20 points a game his rookie year? No wonder I'm having such a hard time understanding.

Maybe I’m having a hard time understanding because your point is inconsistent. You went from JB is looking like the next Kobe, to Kobe being in his 3rd year wasn’t “really Kobe”, to rookie Kobe not being a 20 point scorer.

7points his rookie year, 15 his second, 19 his third...sounds to me like he was becoming "Kobe"

Just like I said.

« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2019, 10:23:24 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

7points his rookie year, 15 his second, 19 his third...sounds to me like he was becoming "Kobe"

Just like I said.
No, because JB isn’t even close to this level, unlike what you said.

Also, as Moranis says, Shaq was already there, and Kobe was his clearcut #2 in their first championship run - in Kobe’s 4th year.

« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2019, 10:30:46 PM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford
And?

Shaq was there Kobe's rookie year.

I had to check that and forgot.

But that doesn't change my point and nor does it change that I didn't worry about LA until Shaq got there.

Ok so if it wasn't the young guys that makes this team good then I guess it's just Horford then...since Kyrie didn't play in the playoffs, and Terry apparently stinks now.

I'm just saying y'all are gonna get rid of the best things about your team without thinking and mesmerized by numbers...when the numbers still bear out my point.

Whatever.

« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2019, 10:34:40 PM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford

Just like I said.

Also, as Moranis says, Shaq was already there, and Kobe was his clearcut #2 in their first championship run - in Kobe’s 4th year.

JB is a better rebounder and defender at this stage and there's not much of a point differential.

If you see him in a lower tier at this stage, it's only cause you must be a Kobe fan.

« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2019, 10:41:05 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Just like I said.

JB is a better rebounder and defender at this stage and there's not much of a point differential.

If you see him in a lower tier at this stage, it's only cause you must be a Kobe fan.
My god man. How is JB’s marginal rebounding advantage worth mentioning, but Kobe’s 7 more points per game is “not much of a differential”.

How about Kobe, a guy notorious for not passing the ball, averaging approximately triple the assists per game JB does at the same stage in their career.

And no, I’m not. It’s called realism. Almost nobody compares JB to Kobe, for good reason. Kobe at age 20 was an All-Star who was 1 year away from being a crucial part of a 3 peat, while Jaylen Brown is a bench player at age 22. No comparison, and you’re absolutely blinded by homerism if you think there is.

If the comparison was Jimmy Butler it would make sense. Much more similar play styles and developmental arcs.

« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2019, 10:55:54 PM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford

Just like I said.

My god man. How is JB’s marginal rebounding advantage worth mentioning, but Kobe’s 7 more points per game is “not much of a differential”.

How about Kobe, a guy notorious for not passing the ball, averaging approximately triple the assists per game JB does at the same stage in their career.

And no, I’m not. It’s called realism. Almost nobody compares JB to Kobe, for good reason. Kobe at age 20 was an All-Star who was 1 year away from being a crucial part of a 3 peat, while Jaylen Brown is a bench player at age 22. No comparison, and you’re absolutely blinded by homerism if you think there is.

If the comparison was Jimmy Butler it would make sense. Much more similar play styles and developmental arcs.

That turnaround doesn't look similar? The dunks? Only difference is ball handling and JB looks like he's gonna be alright with that.

All this nonsense because you missed my entire point and still never mention it.

This team is resilient for a reason. It has more chemistry than you give them credit for, and key guys stay on the floor without getting hurt.

Give the keys to a couple guys that barely play 60 games a year then.

« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2019, 11:02:51 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Just like I said.

That turnaround doesn't look similar? The dunks? Only difference is ball handling and JB looks like he's gonna be alright with that.

All this nonsense because you missed my entire point and still never mention it.

This team is resilient for a reason. It has more chemistry than you give them credit for, and key guys stay on the floor without getting hurt.

If that’s the only difference you see then there’s no discussion.

I don’t know when I even talked about chemistry. I wasn’t part of that debate with you, so I’m not sure what poster you’ve got me confused for.

« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2019, 11:12:39 PM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford
Kobe was just never my dude, man :)

Mike, Magic, Scottie, Barkley and the Doc were...and Iverson.

« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2019, 11:14:16 PM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford

Just like I said.

I don’t know when I even talked about chemistry. I wasn’t part of that debate with you, so I’m not sure what poster you’ve got me confused for.

Then why attack me and change the argument when I'm posting to someone else?

« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2019, 11:50:56 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I doubt those performances happen if he becomes a celtic.

Irving needs usage, horford needs usage and hayward needs usage. Not alot of ball to go around
Yeah but those are season highs. So he gets 82 shots at each of those numbers.

Can I see Davis have one 50 point game a year? Yup
Can I see him have one 25-30 rebound game a year? Yup
Can I see him have one 10 assist game a year? Yup
Can I see him have one 6 block game a year? Yup
Can I see him have one  5 steal game a year? Yup

All it takes could be just a couple awesome games. Or 5 great games. Either way I can see him going off on a few teams and create ridiculous season highs every year. He is that [dang] good.

I can't wait to see what a really good coach can do for Davis' game.

« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2019, 11:53:28 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Just like I said.

Then why attack me and change the argument when I'm posting to someone else?
Far out dude. You made a post saying JB is the closest thing to young Kobe in the league. I say that that's nonsense. That isn't attacking at all.

The whole point of the forum is so that multiple people can engage on multiple points.

« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2019, 02:39:29 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
So the Celtics don't need AD because he apparently too good and he will need touches (easily forgetting that Ray Allen was also too good but settled being third wheel or that McHale could have been A-dog for any other NBA team but spent his carrier as LBs sidekick) and Jaylen Brown is similar to Kobe....

:o :o