Author Topic: What's your favorite bar in Boston?  (Read 5130 times)

What's your favorite bar in Boston?
« on: February 15, 2011, 05:30:21 PM »

Offline birdwatcher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 126
  • Another undersized Celtic...
Not sure if there is already a thread on this, but I go to the same places all the time as a creature of habit. I like kinda skanky, stale beer smelling dive bars. I also favor ones in walking distance, so I usually go to the Beantown Pub, Sevens, the roof top deck at the Rattlesnake and before/after a game the Harp. What's your favorite spot and why? I need to break my routine...

Re: What's your favorite bar in Boston?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 05:39:26 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
I went to the Rattlesnake on thursday while the Lakers were in town... I expected Boston to be a great place to be on thursday but the city was empty and this bar was no exception. I also spent some time at Sunset in Brighton... that was a much better time (Over 800 beers at the bar) but still not the type of bar I enjoy. I enjoy dark, loud, open floorplans. Those bars were basically the opposite. I have more fun in Worcester or Providence... I spend a lot less money too.

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 07:09:53 PM »

Offline birdwatcher

• Bill Walton
I went to the Rattlesnake on thursday while the Lakers were in town... I expected Boston to be a great place to be on thursday but the city was empty and this bar was no exception. I also spent some time at Sunset in Brighton... that was a much better time (Over 800 beers at the bar) but still not the type of bar I enjoy. I enjoy dark, loud, open floorplans. Those bars were basically the opposite. I have more fun in Worcester or Providence... I spend a lot less money too.

Inside at the Rattlesnake DOES suck. We go there in the summer because of the rooftop deck. All the big bars by the garden like The Fours & Greatest Bar are just massive and "open". Quotes around open because all 3 or 4 floors are often filled to capacity...

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 07:23:45 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
I usually find myself mad everytime I'm in Boston.  Sometimes I enjoy myself, if that's the case I'm usually in the Fenway area.  I usually just try to hang around Somerville and stay local.  Sure you have a few crazies there, but it's nice when beers cost $3.
do it

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 07:31:15 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
In my law school days, I definitely spent a lot of time at Whiskey's and at The Pour House.  Black Rose, too. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 07:56:19 PM »

Offline birdwatcher

• Bill Walton
Is Whiskey's the same as Whiskey Park on Arlington? That's where I had my bachelor party. They had an awesome selection of bourbon and scotch, obviously...I work in Cambridge, so I know there's a ton of great bars there and in Somerville, but I refuse to take the red line anymore! Two summers ago on one of the hottest nights of the year, me and a couple friends were on the redline to Harvard Square when an old homeless dude got on hammered. He started screaming with his eyes closed, stripped down to his tighty whiteys and went completely Gettysburg in front of everyone in the car (for those if you who don't know the term, that's when you puke from the North and poo from the South pretty much at the same time). We walked the two miles home on the way back. Plus, a couple months ago some woman left her boa constrictor on the red or green line and it lived there for over a month. I have no problem admitting that I am petrified of snakes, especially ones that are capable of eating me alive. I would have come completely unglued if I found a snake under my seat on the T!!!!

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 08:54:14 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
before games we usually go to Sully's (I know, I know). Sometimes beerworks as well, but getting a table can be impossible. Outside of the Garden area, Rattlesnake is very fun with the roof-deck.  Just went to Flash's for the 1st time, and I was impressed with their draft list, not with their size.  Near Fenway we usually go to O'Leary's (a bit of a walk, but a fun Irish bar to grab food before the game).  Allston's my favorite area to go out - Sunset, Big City, Our House, White Horse, etc. lots of great places.  If you want a true dive, Hogan's run in Brighton
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 08:57:47 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Went to the Squealing Pig for lunch today.  Not someplace I would go to (or afford) everyday, but when I am in the mood for a classic pub, and good food to go along with good beer, it is a favorite of mine. 

Also a big fan of Sunset Grill to try some new beers, and the Pour House when I am looking for a cheaper place to watch a game or something. 

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 09:23:39 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
Downtownish

Lucky's Lounge- good live music good atmosphere
Bell n hand- Live music
Hennessey's- Live music
Harp- Live music-good dj's

Brighton-Allston

Draft- Great outdoor area for summer
Deep Ellum- great outdoor area- Great beers foreign and domestic

Fenway

Used to be Jake Ivory's nor sure now though

I go to bars a lot more in the summer. Biggest factors for me are having an outdoor area, good beers, being by or on the water, Live music and if not live music good DJ, and bar games.