Author Topic: Bold Predictions (and a little hot takey) on the 2020 NBA Draft  (Read 5962 times)

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
1. Killian Hayes will be a an effective point guard right away in the NBA, will be the best player in this draft from his rookie year, and will top out at 26-8 with an All-NBA 2nd team.
2. Lamelo Ball will be worse than his brother, will struggle with NBA speed and strength, and will struggle with his shot a lot, like almost Markelle Fultz levels.
3. Paul Reed will be draft surprisingly early by a team that thinks he can be another Siakim, but he will top out at Jerami Grant-level.
4. Jaden McDaniels will be out of the league by the end of his rookie contract.
5. Jahmius Ramsey will not contribute right away, but by the end of his rookie contract will be a better player for winning teams than Cole Anthony, Isaac Okoro, Theo Maledon, or Tyrese Maxey.
6. Anthony Edwards will get big stats early in his career, ala Tyreke Evans for a team desperate for offensive fire power.
7. Miami will buy a second round pick to pick Derrick Alston Jr. from Boise State (or they will sign him if he goes undrafted).
8. Obi Toppin will drop out of the top 7 and will go to Charlotte or Washington at 8 or 9.
9. James Wiseman will be a better player than Andre Drummond, Deandre Ayton, Hassan Whiteside, Steven Adams, or Derrick Favors, but part of that will be because a good NBA organization gets him by either trading up or drafting him when he falls (I'm looking at GSW, Bos, San Antonio).

Re: Bold Predictions (and a little hot takey) on the 2020 NBA Draft
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2020, 08:48:44 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
How dare you say such a thing about Paul Reed!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2020, 12:36:24 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

PUHAHAHA!!

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2020, 12:39:08 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
1. Killian Hayes will be a an effective point guard right away in the NBA, will be the best player in this draft from his rookie year, and will top out at 26-8 with an All-NBA 2nd team.
2. Lamelo Ball will be worse than his brother, will struggle with NBA speed and strength, and will struggle with his shot a lot, like almost Markelle Fultz levels.
3. Paul Reed will be draft surprisingly early by a team that thinks he can be another Siakim, but he will top out at Jerami Grant-level.
5. Jahmius Ramsey will not contribute right away, but by the end of his rookie contract will be a better player for winning teams than Cole Anthony, Isaac Okoro, Theo Maledon, or Tyrese Maxey.
6. Anthony Edwards will get big stats early in his career, ala Tyreke Evans for a team desperate for offensive fire power.
7. Miami will buy a second round pick to pick Derrick Alston Jr. from Boise State (or they will sign him if he goes undrafted).
8. Obi Toppin will drop out of the top 7 and will go to Charlotte or Washington at 8 or 9.
9. James Wiseman will be a better player than Andre Drummond, Deandre Ayton, Hassan Whiteside, Steven Adams, or Derrick Favors, but part of that will be because a good NBA organization gets him by either trading up or drafting him when he falls (I'm looking at GSW, Bos, San Antonio).

Could be right..

But I think Lamelo Ball will be better than Lonzo.  Better shooting form.  Has a bit more nasty/creativity in his game

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2020, 04:36:53 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas

Lol. Siakim is one of the few of his body-type and skills to become what he became. There are many more Darius Miles and Jerami Grants than Siakims.

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2020, 04:37:52 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas

Could be right..

But I think Lamelo Ball will be better than Lonzo.  Better shooting form.  Has a bit more nasty/creativity in his game

From what I've seen, Lamelo's form seems very inconsistent and all over the place.

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2020, 07:20:57 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Lol. Siakim is one of the few of his body-type and skills to become what he became. There are many more Darius Miles and Jerami Grants than Siakims.
You’re not wrong. And, to be fair, Jerami Grant with way better rebounding is probably a good comparison for Reed
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2020, 12:57:29 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Could be right..

From what I've seen, Lamelo's form seems very inconsistent and all over the place.
LaMelo has been better than Lonzo at every age.  I expect that to continue in the NBA.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2020, 01:23:15 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas

Could be right..

LaMelo has been better than Lonzo at every age.  I expect that to continue in the NBA.

I don't know enough about comparative leagues, but I understand that UCLA is better competition than the Australian league, right?

There's a lot to like about Lamelo, but the way he avoids contact and the inconsistent shooting form are real concerns. The thing that is good is that he appears much more confident in the pick-and-roll than his brother ever has. Lonzo is a rare player who is a great passer, but poor in the pick-and-roll. I don't think Lamelo has that limitation.

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2020, 03:17:30 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Could be right..

I don't know enough about comparative leagues, but I understand that UCLA is better competition than the Australian league, right?

There's a lot to like about Lamelo, but the way he avoids contact and the inconsistent shooting form are real concerns. The thing that is good is that he appears much more confident in the pick-and-roll than his brother ever has. Lonzo is a rare player who is a great passer, but poor in the pick-and-roll. I don't think Lamelo has that limitation.
UCLA may be better competition, but you generally advance more playing against full grown adults than children (which also does explain LaMelo's unwillingness to fully engage physically).  LaMelo has the body of a 18/19 year old.  He will fill it out, it just takes time for that to happen, but LaMelo is far more skilled than Lonzo and has been the better player at every age when comparing the two.  I think Lonzo can easily take a Brandon Ingram type path.  Slightly different skill sets, but Ingram didn't really hit and stay healthier until he filled out his body.  I expect LaMelo to be an all star caliber of player (might not actually make one, but should at least threaten to do it).  I just don't see Lonzo doing that. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2020, 03:52:49 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
I'll do one more, since it is my thread :)

One prospect will fall dramatically on draft night. Scouts will be more cemented in their views, and even if a guy drops to them, they will still draft a different player that they fell in love with. Top 10 talent will be available in the late teens or twenties.

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2020, 08:58:38 PM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170

You’re not wrong. And, to be fair, Jerami Grant with way better rebounding is probably a good comparison for Reed

Umm...I'd take that on the Celtics.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2020, 10:13:44 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas

Umm...I'd take that on the Celtics.

Fair enough. I think he will take time to develop into a rotation player, just like Grant did. I also do not like his jumpshot. Like, at all. That may have a big part in his success in the NBA.

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2020, 11:05:01 PM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
Paul Reed is a steel at 46  ;)

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2020, 12:10:53 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Tp fun read