Author Topic: Mapping out the Celtics off-season  (Read 2576 times)

Mapping out the Celtics off-season
« on: June 29, 2020, 03:34:56 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Mapping out the Celtics off-season (this post is heavily influenced by a post from @dangercart on twitter). I also utilized the samsports.com capulator

Key assumptions
Haywards takes Player Option
Kanter takes Player Option

After those two moves the Cs are left very limited in their cap room and roster space

My predicted roster moves

Waive Javonte Green

Sign Tremont Waters using tax MLE to a contract like Edwards

Trade #30 and Porier for a 2nd round pick in the 40-45 range

Trade #26 and Semi to move up and draft D&S (in this order) Bolmaro or Maledon. If trade up isn’t required, then try to move Semi for a decent future pick.

Draft BPA using Memphis pick, based off mocks and the chance that Memphis falls out of playoff I am hoping for Anthony, Maxey, Hampton, or P Williams

Use the two 2nd round picks to grab lower ceiling higher floor big. Ex Tillman poor man’s Horford type big man, Stewart, Azubuike or Carey (I’m low on Carey) as Kanter role bench bigs, Tillie or Perry as a face up floor spacing bigs. Hitting on one of these cheap 2nd round bigs may be important with Theis and Kanter both FAs after next season. The lower of the 2nd round picks can be used to double down on the above listed bigs or take a shot on a higher ceiling type player preferably on the wing. Some option Woodard (double he drops) or Yves Pons (very athletic interesting small ball big). If the Memphis pick isn't a guard then I would look at Quickley, Alexander, Prichard, or Christian Vital.

Offer Tacko another 2-way deal and leave second 2-way open for camp

So ideally the Celtics would end up with

Guards: Kemba, Smart, Maxey, Waters, Edwards 
Wings: Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Langford {Bolmaro-stashed}
Swing: G Williams, Pons
Big: Theis, Kanter, R Williams, Tillman, (Tacko 2-way)

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Re: Mapping out the Celtics off-season
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 04:36:45 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
No need to use part of our MLE on Waters. Since he finished the season on a 2-way contract, the C's have his non-Bird rights. This means we can offer him 120% of the minimum salary on year 1. The contract may run for up to 4 years.

Having said that, I'd rather we keep Wanamaker over Waters cause he's better suited to play off the ball.

Imo, we have 2 needs going into the off-season:

1. upgrade the C position
2. add a deadly shooter off the bench

Don't see a way to upgrade the C position via the draft. Perhaps we should focus on our 2nd need. My draft binkies are:

Aaron Nesmith
--> 6’6” with a 6’10” wingspan
--> can play the SG/SF positions
--> 52.2% from 3 this season on 8.2 attempts per game   
--> versatile defender

Chances are he won't be available at #17, but we can trade up for him.

Isaiah Joe (with the Nets pick)
--> 6'5'' with a long wingspan (around 6'10'')
--> 34.2% from 3 this season on 10.6(!) attempts per game
--> versatile defender

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lX_lfG6q-s

The guy is a 3pt machine with unlimited range! He just never stops shooting 3s! ;D

I also like Tyrese Haliburton, but I don't think we can trade up for him.

Btw, there's already a thread regarding our off-season moves.

https://forum.celticsstrong.com/index.php?topic=102126.0
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 05:29:55 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 04:37:15 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Step 1. Figure out where Giannis will be in the off-season.
Step 2. Kidnap all his brothers and hold them up for ransom.
Step 3. Politely ask Giannis to ask for a trade out of MIL.
Step 4. Sign him for the MLE, while Wyc throws him max $$$$ in Bitcoins.
Step 5. Win 10 championships in a row.

/s

"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2020, 05:16:27 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I think the offseason goes like this:
- Hayward and Kanter come back --> won't get better deals elsewhere this offseason
- C's bring Theis back --> no brainer
- C's bring Semi back --> unlikely to get a FA or draftee that will produce at his level this season.
- Wanamaker leaves for a bigger payday.
- Waters and Fall remain on 2-way contracts --> Waters does not produce enough during camp to show he can take Wanamaker's spot full time next year.  Fall is still at least 2 years away from riding the pine in Boston.
- C's take BPA at 17.  Danny doesn't see anyone going higher in the draft that he has to have.
- C's trade Poirier and #30 for a second rounder next year.
- C's use #26 on a D&S player or in a deal for a highly protected future first that could convert to 2 second rounders (and likely will).

Roster at this point:
Kemba, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Theis as starters. 
Bench brigade: Smart, Timelord, Kanter, GWill, Romeo, Edwards, Semi
2-way: Waters, Fall

Free Agency:
- C's take a run at a vet 3rd string PG that can defend and capably bring the ball up.  Don't need a scoring PG necessarily (though one would be preferred) but due to the cap restrictions, they'll take someone who can provide what's absolutely necessary. 
- C's bring in a recycled vet PF/C that can defend and rebound.  Scoring would be a plus but those types of big men come at a premium the C's won't have the money to pay out.
- C's take their big run at a wing that can shoot from outside.  someone who provides more scoring consistency than Semi and GWill and is a capable defender.  This is where I see the C's spending their MLE $.

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2020, 05:43:16 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
No need to use part of our MLE on Waters. Since he finished the season on a 2-way contract, the C's have his non-Bird rights. This means we can offer him 120% of the minimum salary on year 1. The contract may run for up to 4 years.

Having said that, I'd rather we keep Wanamaker over Waters cause he's better suited to play off the ball.

Imo, we have 2 needs going into the off-season:

1. upgrade the C position
2. add a deadly shooter off the bench

Don't see a way to upgrade the C position via the draft. Perhaps we should focus on our 2nd need. My draft binkies are:

Aaron Nesmith
--> 6’6” with a 6’10” wingspan
--> can play the SG/SF positions
--> 52.2% from 3 this season on 8.2 attempts per game   
--> versatile defender

Chances are he won't be available at #17, but we can trade up for him.

Isaiah Joe (with the Nets pick)
--> 6'5'' with a long wingspan (around 6'10'')
--> 34.2% from 3 this season on 10.6(!) attempts per game
--> versatile defender

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lX_lfG6q-s

The guy is a 3pt machine with unlimited range! He just never stops shooting 3s! ;D

I also like Tyrese Haliburton, but I don't think we can trade up for him.

Btw, there's already a thread regarding our off-season moves.

https://forum.celticsstrong.com/index.php?topic=102126.0

Good call on Waters contract,

I like Waters over Wanamaker for next season, Waters has long term potential as a low cost backup. For next season I’m assuming we will see Smart take over more backup PG duties and Wannamakers minutes will go to Langford. In the event Kemba gets hurt or has load Managment games I like waters in spot duty.

As for Neismith and Joe I like both but I’m not high on Nesmith with the Memphis pick. I worry that he lacks the defense to be a high end rotation player and their are players I would prefer at that point. In the 2nd Joe could be a really nice addition
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2020, 06:05:13 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
I think the offseason goes like this:
- Hayward and Kanter come back --> won't get better deals elsewhere this offseason
- C's bring Theis back --> no brainer
- C's bring Semi back --> unlikely to get a FA or draftee that will produce at his level this season.
- Wanamaker leaves for a bigger payday.
- Waters and Fall remain on 2-way contracts --> Waters does not produce enough during camp to show he can take Wanamaker's spot full time next year.  Fall is still at least 2 years away from riding the pine in Boston.
- C's take BPA at 17.  Danny doesn't see anyone going higher in the draft that he has to have.
- C's trade Poirier and #30 for a second rounder next year.
- C's use #26 on a D&S player or in a deal for a highly protected future first that could convert to 2 second rounders (and likely will).

Roster at this point:
Kemba, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Theis as starters. 
Bench brigade: Smart, Timelord, Kanter, GWill, Romeo, Edwards, Semi
2-way: Waters, Fall

Free Agency:
- C's take a run at a vet 3rd string PG that can defend and capably bring the ball up.  Don't need a scoring PG necessarily (though one would be preferred) but due to the cap restrictions, they'll take someone who can provide what's absolutely necessary. 
- C's bring in a recycled vet PF/C that can defend and rebound.  Scoring would be a plus but those types of big men come at a premium the C's won't have the money to pay out.
- C's take their big run at a wing that can shoot from outside.  someone who provides more scoring consistency than Semi and GWill and is a capable defender.  This is where I see the C's spending their MLE $.

Problem is signing pick 17, retaining Semi and going after vet FA is going to put Cs in Luxury tax. With all of these signing likely to be outside the top 8 rotation it becomes hard to justify the tax payment.

Also Waters has proven in G-league and spot nba minutes that he is worthy of a contract. It was reported last season that teams where trying to figure out logistics of offering a trade for Waters. If Cs don’t sign him someone else will.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2020, 06:02:17 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I expect the roster to remain very similar.  This off-season is not going to feature a lot of movement because of all of the uncertainty.  That's my prediction.

I'm fine with that -- this is a solid roster that needs more time together.  Not a perfect roster by any means, but I think the biggest weaknesses of the team will lessen with more experience / seasoning.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2020, 10:24:14 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I sought out this thread because I don't see them coming back from 3-1 against Miami.  I'm ready to move on, perhaps others are too.

I expect the roster to remain very similar.  This off-season is not going to feature a lot of movement because of all of the uncertainty.  That's my prediction.

I'm fine with that -- this is a solid roster that needs more time together.  Not a perfect roster by any means, but I think the biggest weaknesses of the team will lessen with more experience / seasoning.
Yeah, that's most likely, but that doesn't mean I like it.  I'd like to see something bold from DA because, even with another season of improvement I don't see them winning it all on their current path.  The bounty from the Nets deal has run its course, top pick is #14, and what's more, other teams have improved tremendously.  C's are stuck in the category of "competitive playoff team".  Well, that's nice, I guess....