Author Topic: Fans, through thick and thin  (Read 3388 times)

Fans, through thick and thin
« on: June 24, 2019, 02:29:13 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
Remember bowing out to the Cavaliers in 5 games 2 years back?
As the final seconds ticked off, and the season came to an end, the “let’s go Celtics” chant rained down from the best fans in the game.

Let’s get back to being those fans.

Re: Fans, through thick and thin
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2019, 02:38:17 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Ok

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 02:40:01 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
So to do that, you suggest building another overachieving team that's gonna get stomped in the playoffs?
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2019, 02:45:19 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
People wanted their "warm & fuzzy", now they're probably going to get it. 

The question is how well will that translate to the W/L columns?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2019, 02:50:21 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
As the final seconds ticked off, and the season came to an end, the “let’s go Celtics” chant rained down from the best fans in the game.

TP

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2019, 02:55:00 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
No

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2019, 02:58:37 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I agree.  My first and only time in the Garden was the Game 6, 2002 Conf. Finals to the Nets.  We stood the entire final few minutes with the same cheer.  Some here may call it “warm and fuzzy”, but I found it electrifying.

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2019, 03:00:23 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540

The way the league is set up anyone who's type of fan who needs to see their team win a title is going to walk away disappointed.  Each season only a handful of teams has any realistic chance - and as we saw this past season even if you get into a contending position, you still need plenty of luck in terms of injuries and players remaining committed to placing winning above their own personal goals.

I personally enjoy the process - draft to free agency to summer league/training camp etc and the process of trying to get really good.  But I've given up expecting the Celtics to win it all.  Ownership will certainly try and the GM & coach are good enough - but I hope we all enjoyed 2008 because that may the last title for quite a while.

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2019, 03:07:37 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

The way the league is set up anyone who's type of fan who needs to see their team win a title is going to walk away disappointed.  Each season only a handful of teams has any realistic chance - and as we saw this past season even if you get into a contending position, you still need plenty of luck in terms of injuries and players remaining committed to placing winning above their own personal goals.

I personally enjoy the process - draft to free agency to summer league/training camp etc and the process of trying to get really good.  But I've given up expecting the Celtics to win it all.  Ownership will certainly try and the GM & coach are good enough - but I hope we all enjoyed 2008 because that may the last title for quite a while.
Quite a long while.

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2019, 03:13:44 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

I'm not necessarily title or bust.  Its more of finally resigning myself that I think the team will take a step backwards this season as it goes through the growing pains and the contending window certainly seems pushed out farther.  The scrappy, underdog, feel good stuff is great sometimes;  '01-02, '11-'12, '16'17 all come to mind.    There's a time & place where I love it. Just right now is not the time for me.    We're over a decade now removed from a title.  Nearly a decade since the last Finals appearance.   The climb back from the nadir or '13-'14 was awesome but now seems unfulfilled.  We're heading back towards a youth movement and, unless Danny has some tricks up his sleeve, I think its going to take some time.

Last season was rough.  What happened on the court was disappointing but I also think we saw some of the worst from both Celtics fans & the local media because the team as "not likeable".  I thought some of the stuff was over the top.  My feeling is that fans will love this team much more but they better temper their expectations for the near future.

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2019, 03:22:34 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1409
  • Let's Go Celtics!

I'm not necessarily title or bust.  Its more of finally resigning myself that I think the team will take a step backwards this season as it goes through the growing pains and the contending window certainly seems pushed out farther.  The scrappy, underdog, feel good stuff is great sometimes;  '01-02, '11-'12, '16'17 all come to mind.    There's a time & place where I love it. Just right now is not the time for me.    We're over a decade now removed from a title.  Nearly a decade since the last Finals appearance.   The climb back from the nadir or '13-'14 was awesome but now seems unfulfilled.  We're heading back towards a youth movement and, unless Danny has some tricks up his sleeve, I think its going to take some time.

Last season was rough.  What happened on the court was disappointing but I also think we saw some of the worst from both Celtics fans & the local media because the team as "not likeable".  I thought some of the stuff was over the top.  My feeling is that fans will love this team much more but they better temper their expectations for the near future.

I don't know if I'd define myself as title or bust, but if given the choice between watching a team full "unlikables" who have a chance at a title versus watching the "little engine that could" type of teams, I'm going with the former.

The process is fun when we're making progress towards the bigger goal, not so much when it just feels like we're treading water.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2019, 03:23:34 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

I don't know if I'd define myself as title or bust, but if given the choice between watching a team full "unlikables" who have a chance at a title versus watching the "little engine that could" type of teams, I'm going with the former.

The process is fun when we're making progress towards the bigger goal, not so much when it just feels like we're treading water.

I agree.  There certainly is a time & a place when its awesome.

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2019, 03:37:52 PM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74

I have to say, IT4's king of the fourth season was one of my favorite seasons to watch regardless if there was a championship at the end.

Looking forward to seeing if the Jays can pick up where they left off in the 2018 playoffs.

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2019, 03:39:30 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

If you don't have a title contender and aren't realistically building towards title contention, then you are just wasting time, and frankly I feel like Boston has just been wasting time for awhile now.  Never truly tanking to really build up the young player potential, yet never going all in on building for a title. 

Assuming Irving leaves this summer, that trade really set the team back as it was never really a contender with Irving and Boston wasted 2 years and a significant asset to end up worse off.  And by making the Irving trade, Ainge should have been willing to actually build a contender around him, and he just couldn't pull the trigger.  He let Paul George slip through his fingers because he didn't want to commit and lose some cap space for Hayward (while Hayward is a nice player, he was never going to be as good as Paul George).  He wouldn't let Brown go for 2 years of Butler or 1 year of Leonard.  He wouldn't let Tatum go for Davis.  Why go halfway and not finish the build? 

Ainge has just terribly mishandled this team since the Irving trade.  The team did absolutely nothing for nearly 2 seasons and those seasons ended up being wasted because the conference was open enough to be there for the taking.  Even if Tatum ends up a real legit franchise level player, there isn't enough around him to have the makings of a title contender in a season or two, because Ainge wasted the last 2 seasons.

Teams have to pick a path and sadly Boston just never did.  It wanted to build for the future and try to win at the same time.  Ainge thought he could do it because of the Nets assets, but those were fools gold and by not truly picking a path he made it worse.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2019, 03:48:11 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1409
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Assuming Irving leaves this summer, that trade really set the team back as it was never really a contender with Irving and Boston wasted 2 years and a significant asset to end up worse off.  And by making the Irving trade, Ainge should have been willing to actually build a contender around him, and he just couldn't pull the trigger.  He let Paul George slip through his fingers because he didn't want to commit and lose some cap space for Hayward (while Hayward is a nice player, he was never going to be as good as Paul George).  He wouldn't let Brown go for 2 years of Butler or 1 year of Leonard.  He wouldn't let Tatum go for Davis.  Why go halfway and not finish the build? 

Agree 100%. I think Ainge wanted to have his cake and eat it too. Now he just cake all over his face.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman