Author Topic: The Fan's have Spoken!  (Read 2321 times)

The Fan's have Spoken!
« on: May 02, 2008, 12:14:56 PM »

Offline newdusk

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
Every year the same question is asked to owners and PR people from the Boston Celtics about in-game entertainment and every year we get the same generic answer. It usually follows the line of a casual sports fan and that this stuff tests pretty highly.

Well here is an online poll from ESPN about in-game entertainment

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/polling?event_id=3478&action=1&question26445=105055&question26446=105057&question26447=105060&question26448=105062&question26449=105065&question26450=105073&question26451=105074&question26452=105080

One could say well ESPN is for sports fans which is partly true. ESPN is also one of the highest rated networks and a complete juggernaut when it comes to anything sports. Almost every male goes to their website at least once a day. I think the casual fan is indifferent, they don't really know what they want so they will say YES to anything.

I think at the very least coming from Boston and being a Boston fan our experience should be unique to other arena's. There was something special about not having a dance squad. I think GINO is a pretty unique touch. But get rid of the PYRO the NOISE O METER. The single best fan experience I have ever had was the Celtics 21 point comeback against the NETS. There was a lot of Jumbo-Tron but it was really well timed and there was a lot of improv. Instead of telling the crowd to make noise. The camera would focus on this really attractive blonde and everytime they wanted to lift the crowd they would show her. They would also show the Larry Bird look-a-like who sits in the balcony. Finally when things really heated up they  showed the super-man guy. Part of what made that experience great was how the visuals on the Jumo-tron were unique to that time and place to that specific moment. I think a lot of the energy was dicteted by the fans and the players not by the screen.

Then again if your team is stinking out the joint and you want keep fans in their seats then you have to get creative. The key word is creative though. Using the same old canned ideas that every other arena uses is not always gonna work. The best way to keep a fan in their seat is with a good product on the court field or ice. I think some of the age old gimmicks work, like offereing free things throughout the game. Letting people know they are part of a raffle. I think even giving out something like free pop-corn would be a great idea because then fans will have to buy a soda or beer. I think the key is to really BE creative I would try sometihng new every night. In the end the sports product itself is what determines whether a fan stays in their seats or even buys them.

Re: The Fan's have Spoken!
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 12:20:49 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3768
  • Yup
NBA the worst by far according to their results:

8) In general, which sport has the most annoying in-game entertainment?

70.7%   NBA
11.0%   MLB
10.3%   None of them, I like the in-game entertainment!
4.9%   NHL
3.0%   NFL

And maybe a little ammo as to why the hotty dancers are around:

6) What is your favorite in-game entertainment?

33.2%   Dance squads, ice girls, cheerleaders
21.1%   Seventh-inning stretch
16.6%   Sausage race, president race, dot race, etc.
8.3%   Mascots
7.1%   Shooting T-shirts into the stands
6.1%   Goofy halftime shows
5.3%   Music
2.4%   Indoor fireworks
Yup

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 01:59:06 PM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235
Yeah, I took this survey yesterday and wasn't at all surprised by the results.

It's almost as if SPORTS' demographic is actually sports fans... and not soccer moms.  I'm confused!  David Stern, you lied!

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 04:03:36 PM »

Offline MrsNumba17

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 17
  • I Love NUMBA 17 !
I personally could care less about the entertainment.
I always thought that was mostly targeted for families and children. I'm not impressed with Sucky...oops I mean Lucky! It's the same stunts every game. The dancers...it's the same routine every game I've gone. I'm there for the game though.

I agree that the Jumbotron keeps it entertaining when they focus on fans though. I like that they do that. I love the Garden regardless. I love looking up at the championship banners. I love the energy of all my fellow fans and they play some good jams too! Best of all...I love the pregame video with Red and Celt's Greats!

Go Celtics!!
"A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals"
~Larry Bird

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 04:13:11 PM »

Offline MrsNumba17

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 17
  • I Love NUMBA 17 !
I would also like to add more trivia, and more clips
of Celtics greatest moments throughout history as entertainment.

"A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals"
~Larry Bird