Author Topic: Rondo missed both free throws in clutch again  (Read 17217 times)

Re: Rondo missed both free throws in clutch again
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2014, 10:32:30 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Teams will begin to foul him soon enough.

They should start that soon. I've been hearing it's imminent since 2009 or so.

i agree for the most part, but this year so far at 31% hes shooting 25% worse than his previous career low.

he also has never played Gregg Poppovich in the playoffs before.

Popovic isn't the only coach that's ever heard of hack-a-Shaq. He's also not the person who invented it. Also, it's use hasn't been limited to the playoffs in the past.

« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2014, 10:42:17 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585

i agree for the most part, but this year so far at 31% hes shooting 25% worse than his previous career low.

Popovic isn't the only coach that's ever heard of hack-a-Shaq. He's also not the person who invented it. Also, it's use hasn't been limited to the playoffs in the past.

Thanks. If Nellie was coaching in the league right now I would have mentioned him.

The only other coach in the league right now thats used Hack a Shaq with any kind of regularity is Gregg Poppovich.

While I do understand that it hasnt been limited to playoffs, there would have no incentive for someone like Pop to use it while he was in Boston, it would give us a chance to prepare for it if we were to ever meet in the finals.

Im not saying he WILL do it.  Theres just a lot higher of a chance of it happening this year than in any other circumstance.
Greg

« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2014, 10:50:53 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Thanks. If Nellie was coaching in the league right now I would have mentioned him.

The only other coach in the league right now thats used Hack a Shaq with any kind of regularity is Gregg Poppovich.

While I do understand that it hasnt been limited to playoffs, there would have no incentive for someone like Pop to use it while he was in Boston, it would give us a chance to prepare for it if we were to ever meet in the finals.

Im not saying he WILL do it.  Theres just a lot higher of a chance of it happening this year than in any other circumstance.

It's also been used on Howard, in fact it was something of a staple when Wilt was playing. It's  not new and it's not like any of the opposing coaches in any of the close games we've been in over the last 6 years were unaware of the strategy.

« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2014, 10:54:32 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

It's also been used on Howard, in fact it was something of a staple when Wilt was playing. It's  not new and it's not like any of the opposing coaches in any of the close games we've been in over the last 6 years were unaware of the strategy.

It's always happened with bigs, having a guard, particularly a PG who handles the ball so often, shooting this bad is unprecedented. I do expect the strategy to get some use during some close playoff games when possessions are pivotal.

« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2014, 11:01:15 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

Yeah, but Pop does it all game so that he can foul the player without the ball. He will do it in the second and third quarter.

« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2014, 11:39:08 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585

again, Im aware it existed before Gregg Poppovich.  However like I said before, Pop is the only one thats used this strategy frequently, and I cant remember us ever playing a game against the Spurs thats mattered over the past 6 years.  Rondo also hasnt shot 31% from the line in those years.

I know we play other coaches, and theyre aware of the strategy too, but there are coaches that feel that using hack a shaq means youre conceding that you cant stop their offense.  Again, Rondo is shooting 31% this year.....AND hes in the same division as the coach that has most notably and most frequently tried to use this to his advantage.

Thats all Im saying, theres a much bigger chance we could see it this year.

Sheesh.
Greg

« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2014, 09:59:33 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
I guess all this discussion means is that Rondo is going to "Help" them get to the playoffs...
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2014, 10:08:50 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Player breaks hand. Makes it back super fast showing major toughness and leadership. Has bad free throw percentage. Leads league in assists and rebs at his position.

Must trade for JR Giddens and a trade exception.

Maybe we can get Andre Drummond for a late first and a trade exception. His shooting just isn't up to par. And he didn't even break his hand.

« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2014, 10:13:52 AM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Player breaks hand. Makes it back super fast showing major toughness and leadership. Has bad free throw percentage. Leads league in assists and rebs at his position.

Maybe we can get Andre Drummond for a late first and a trade exception. His shooting just isn't up to par. And he didn't even break his hand.

so you attribute him breaking his hand to his bad shooting???  has he had a broken hand for his whole life? 

« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2014, 10:16:56 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

so you attribute him breaking his hand to his bad shooting???  has he had a broken hand for his whole life?
No, but I don't think it's hard to see a connection to a broken hand and career low free throw shooting.  Do you think he'll stay at 33% the whole year, or the rest of his career?

« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2014, 10:22:39 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
So, let me get this straight, the Mavericks won this game and Rondo put up a stat line of 15/7/6 and people are going after free throws that were, ultimately, meaningless now?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2014, 10:26:33 AM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48

No, but I don't think it's hard to see a connection to a broken hand and career low free throw shooting.  Do you think he'll stay at 33% the whole year, or the rest of his career?

I think he will shoot right around 35-45%, which is absolutely pathetic.  I just looked, he is down to 31% right now, 31%, let that number sink in....

« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2014, 10:35:29 AM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja

rond broke his left hand. he shoots ft with his right hand. now please make your case based on this info.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2014, 10:36:19 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
So, let me get this straight, the Mavericks won this game and Rondo put up a stat line of 15/7/6 and people are going after free throws that were, ultimately, meaningless now?

Hardly surprising.

« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2014, 10:42:46 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
And Westbrook was held to a rough game where Rondo was his primary defender.

Some things never change.