Author Topic: Calm Down Guys. Cleveland Still (Unfortunately) Makes It Out Of The East  (Read 9092 times)

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
And EVEN if they don't make it out of the East, I hate to say it, but I think then it's Toronto that would make it out of the East, NOT Boston.

Yes, Cleveland's defense is HORRIBLE (I was at the mall with family and was SHOCKED seeing the updates of the OKC-CLE game and seeing OKC putting up all those points), but as we all know, CLE will have cold stretches in the regular season and at times don't put up much effort, but come playoff time, they likely will.

Now, I still think their defense overall is a little worse than last year's, but as long as Isaiah gives them about 23-25 PPG, Love keeps it up as a "walking double-double" and Lebron intensifies his defense, they should be fine. Plus, they could still add someone via trade to help them out (doubt DeAndre Jordan and Lou Williams are traded though, but maybe another name?).

But EVEN if CLE loses in the ECF (or dare I say, the 2nd round), I think Toronto makes it out, not Boston.

Our defense is great, but our offense/scoring still struggles quite a bit at times (a little too many cold stretches than usual, especially in the first half of games). Frankly, we're also a little too inconsistent at times, and it's showing the last few games.

Yeah, we do a great job making comebacks and closing out games, but we can't rely on that solely in the playoffs (the making comebacks part).

Also, our front court depth will be tested especially if we play a team like Detroit or Miami in the early rounds and have to deal with the likes of Whiteside, Drummond, Gortat, etc.

Cleveland makes it out of the East, BUT it won't be easy (instead of sweeps or easy 5-game series wins, they may have a couple of series go 6-7 games). That said, they still make it out of the East en route to getting swept by the Warriors (or losing in 5 to either Rockets/Spurs).  :P

I really hope I'm wrong, but that's just how I honestly feel. If we had Hayward though, it's probably a different story (taking CLE to 7 games or maybe even beating them in ECF)  :(
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
What makes you think Raptors are better than Celtics? And Cavs won't make it out of the east, especially with the way they play defense, unless they make some drastic change in their team.

Miami is the only team I'm worried about as they are versatile as we are. Terrible matchup for us. As for Sixers and Pistons, they don't have the depth to take us over 7 games. They can rely on Drummond or Embiid but they can only hold for so long and we can afford to sacrifice the paint for everything else.

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
  • GOT IT!!!
The best thing that happened for Cleveland was 5 minutes into the season.

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
I can't disagree with you Phantom...although I want to.

Issue is Raps are ultra hot now, but, will cool down. Cavs are playing like mucky muck but, will be hyper tuff in playoffs.

Horford/Baynes for the few minutes they play together are aok, but, get pushed around by opposing size....if there is any.

Cavs would have to get white hot to catch Celtics who can basically stay above .500 for last 36 games to be #1 or #2 in ECF with Derozan lead dinosaurs.

One thing we can say about the blessed Celtics, they are the best defensive team in basketball and have been since the first tip off.  They just happen to be one of the worst offensive teams at exactly the same time.

Massive win count obscures limitations of starting 5.....Magic tomorrow night will be too busy showing off their limitations for this situation to change.

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 653
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Too many people buying into Cleveland flipping the switch. The team hates each other. IT hates being there. Toronto is the biggest hurdle

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Thanks for taking the time to explain how the worst defensive team in the league, that is on the verge of being outscored for the entire season, is clearly still better than our #1 seed squad.

I mean it's possible that they go The Finals, of course, but man is it raining in your bedroom permanently or somethin =)???

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Highly doubt it. Pathetic defence, offence that has no flow at all, and almost no team chemistry. I think both Toronto and Boston have a higher chance of making it out
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
I can't disagree with you Phantom...although I want to.

Issue is Raps are ultra hot now, but, will cool down. Cavs are playing like mucky muck but, will be hyper tuff in playoffs.

Horford/Baynes for the few minutes they play together are aok, but, get pushed around by opposing size....if there is any.

Cavs would have to get white hot to catch Celtics who can basically stay above .500 for last 36 games to be #1 or #2 in ECF with Derozan lead dinosaurs.

One thing we can say about the blessed Celtics, they are the best defensive team in basketball and have been since the first tip off.  They just happen to be one of the worst offensive teams at exactly the same time.

Massive win count obscures limitations of starting 5.....Magic tomorrow night will be too busy showing off their limitations for this situation to change.

2004 Pistons wasn't exactly an offensive juggernaut. How did they won? Elite defense. I don't know how people rate Rockets above Celtics, especially on how its is proven many times already that D'Antoni system doesn't translate well in the playoffs. Defense on the other hand is a must in the post season.

We may have a terrible offense but we have one of the best closers in the league. As long as they can close out games, it's all good.

Offline TheisTheisBaby

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 32
Is this a serious post or is the OP being sarcastic for humor's sake?  Because the Cavs can't guard a chair right now.  We're better than they are across the board other than Lebron.  Better guards/wings, better frontcourt, and an EXPONENTIALLY better coach.  And this is assuming the Cavs even make it to the ECF to face us. 

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Is this a serious post or is the OP being sarcastic for humor's sake?  Because the Cavs can't guard a chair right now.  We're better than they are across the board other than Lebron.  Better guards/wings, better frontcourt, and an EXPONENTIALLY better coach.  And this is assuming the Cavs even make it to the ECF to face us.

Wait!! Does the chair have four legs?

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Cleveland can't defend.
And as a side note, I am so tired of watching Lebron take three and four steps without dribbling.
Today, he took a pass at the top of the key and ran to the basket and dunked WITHOUT DRIBBLING, and nothing was called.

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Cleveland can't defend.
And as a side note, I am so tired of watching Lebron take three and four steps without dribbling.
Today, he took a pass at the top of the key and ran to the basket and dunked WITHOUT DRIBBLING, and nothing was called.

NBA is FANtastic. Give the fans what they want. Pure basketball with palming and travelling violations strictly enforced will be so boring

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
Regardless of what the OP is saying, Cleveland is very beatable.

Unfortunately, so are we. If Brad's offensive arsenal consists of nothing more than a 2 man game with Kyrie and Al, with Jaylen and Jayson loitering at the 3 point line most of the time and getting a handful of shots a game, we won't last long enough to get to Cleveland. A team that routinely has 2 of the league's poorest shooters in Smart and Rozier taking more shots than Tatum and Brown doesn't deserve to win anything, and won't.

No point in worrying about the Cavs at this point.