Author Topic: Who better than Tatum?  (Read 6017 times)

Re: Who better than Tatum?
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2021, 10:46:58 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
The question isn't Who better than Tatum, but Who do we sorround Tatum with?  Brown seems isn't enough.

Isn't that the question for all of these players? 

And who has a better running mate then Brown?   

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2021, 11:56:02 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
The question isn't Who better than Tatum, but Who do we sorround Tatum with?  Brown seems isn't enough.

Isn't that the question for all of these players? 

And who has a better running mate then Brown?

I love the fit between these two. Just need to fill in around them, probably including a third major piece.

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2021, 01:55:28 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I am happy to have Tatum.  I actually like him a little better than Luka Doncic although that may be familiarity bias in action.  Russell Westbrook put up a lot of triple doubles too but he is not a guy you would have picked in the top 3 or whatever to build a team around.

To answer this question, you have to bracket the age some.  I mean LeBron, Leonard, maybe Curry, Harden, Durant, they are all better than Tatum right now but really hard to compare due to the difference in age.  Maybe a better question would be who under 25 or 27 is better than Tatum.  That would narrow the list significantly.

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2021, 02:10:56 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
7 to 10 years, there are several I take above Tatum.  Doncic is easy.  I think Jokic is fairly easy as well.  While older, I'd take Giannis and Davis and I would just plan on more like 7 then 10, but I'd start in the prime and there wouldn't be question marks about how good they can be.  I'd consider Zion, Simmons, and Towns, though might ultimately end up with Tatum as the better choice over those guys.

Tatum certainly has a chance to be a top 3 player in the league though and that will be really nice if he hits that potential.

If Doncic could shoot, I would agree with you. I don’t want my best player being unable to hit a jump shot. He’s puts up Russell Westbrook numbers, I get it. But I’d still rather have a guy like a Tatum who can close out a game. Also, like Tr1boy said, Tatum is a better two way player. Doncic is not a a very good defender.
Lebron shot 32.9% from 3 his first 8 years in the league before finally becoming a + shooter in year 9.  Jordan for his entire career shot 32.7% (and was 33.2 in Chicago).  Magic Johnson was a career 30.2% shooter from deep. 

Doncic is a special talent.  Unrealistic to expect him to be as good as the 3 guys I mentioned, but he is probably the one player in the league right now that has a chance to enter the discussion as a top 10 player all time (obviously Lebron is already there so I'm not counting him).  There isn't a GM in the league, including Ainge, that would take Tatum over Doncic.

Idk, his team is .500 and he can’t shoot the ball. He’s not a good defender.  He's not averaging a triple double, which Westbrook did 3 times. and He’s just as ball dominant as Westbrook was. I don’t think what he’s doing is any more impressive than what Tatum is accomplishing.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2021, 05:14:06 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
I take Luka over Tatum..he is a triple-double machine where Tatum is not..

Would you take Westbrook over Tatum as well?
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2021, 05:24:32 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
::) Another Tatum lovefest? I'd take a lot of players over Tatum over the next 7ish years. Doncic and Jokic are the obvious 25 and-under candidates with Towns being another one if he recovers from the horrible 2020 he had, while big men who'll likely age well due to their defensive value like Davis, Embiid and Giannis are still young enough to have around 7 good years left. Then you get into the MVPs who might age like fine wine: Durant, Harden, LeBron, Curry, etc. Now I'm not taking all of those guys over Tatum in the next 7 years or so, but I'm pretty confident that at least a couple of them can still maintain their level of play over this period (I mean Durant looks even better than he ever did after an Achilles tear). That's 5-7 guys I'd take over Tatum without even including players who might explode out of nowhere in the future.

Jokic would be 3rd on my list, however, when is the last time a team won a championship with a big man as their best player. Duncan? His teams not even playing well and he’s basically running the offense. Wing players are the most valuable position and Tatum is the perfect 3/4. Towns is soft and lacks a motor. One of the most overrated players in the league. Giannis seems to have already peaked and his shooting is not improving at all. He’s also 3-4 years older than Tatum. I don’t really see Tatum as having weaknesses. He just gets better every year.

Davis will be 35 in 7 years, Giannis will be 32, Embiid can not get through a full season at 25, how do you think he will be looking at 30 lol. Retired? Lebron, Durant, Harden and Curry will be in their 40’s

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2021, 05:35:11 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think in a vacuum it's better to build around a player who is a natural creator for the players around him.  For that reason I see Luka as the best young build-around guy right now.

But Tatum is definitely in the discussion.

The question is whether the guys who are currently a tier above Tatum will stay at a super elite level until Tatum is already well into his prime.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2021, 07:32:33 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I love Tatum, but over this time frame, I might take Zion, but it's so close, that I'll stick with JT!

Really? I think Zion could eventually be great, but he's more dazzle than substance at this point. And given his reliance on athleticism and his body type, I'm not sure he's gonna get you through the next 7 to 10 years.

The only guy I'd absolutely take over Tatum right now his Jokic. Maybe Doncic.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 08:43:01 PM by RJ87 »
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2021, 08:48:45 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
I feel like Zion isn’t going to have a long career. He plays with so much force. Moving the way he does at  6’6” 270lbs is not normal. Somethings going to pop.

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2021, 09:19:42 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Jaylen Brown?

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2021, 09:21:33 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
Jaylen Brown?
I think I changed my mind on chasing a third star. Danny has to clear enough space 2 years from now and give brown a raise in his last year of his contract and lock him up for long !

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2021, 09:34:05 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
::) Another Tatum lovefest? I'd take a lot of players over Tatum over the next 7ish years. Doncic and Jokic are the obvious 25 and-under candidates with Towns being another one if he recovers from the horrible 2020 he had, while big men who'll likely age well due to their defensive value like Davis, Embiid and Giannis are still young enough to have around 7 good years left. Then you get into the MVPs who might age like fine wine: Durant, Harden, LeBron, Curry, etc. Now I'm not taking all of those guys over Tatum in the next 7 years or so, but I'm pretty confident that at least a couple of them can still maintain their level of play over this period (I mean Durant looks even better than he ever did after an Achilles tear). That's 5-7 guys I'd take over Tatum without even including players who might explode out of nowhere in the future.
Ur just mad that he said "Who" better than Tatum and not "Somebody". ;)

I guess u and Who are gonna have to battle it out with some 1v1 games...
LOL no, I'm just bemused about the love that Tatum gets on this forum when he doesn't really warrant this kind of praise.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2021, 09:34:35 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Jaylen Brown?
Very much possible if he keeps on improving like this.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2021, 09:50:52 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

LOL no, I'm just bemused about the love that Tatum gets on this forum when he doesn't really warrant this kind of praise.

Yeah, I guess you’re right.... :angel:

Jayson Tatum fouls out 1 point short of tying the NBA record for playoff points by a rookie at 351, just behind Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.

Jayson Tatum is the first player in Boston Celtics franchise history with three 40-point games before turning 23.

Jayson Tatum is the second-youngest player in NBA postseason history to record at least 25 points, 10 rebounds, and five assists in a Game 7. The only player to do so at a younger age is Kobe Bryant.

Jayson Tatum is having a career-changing season this year and against the Pacers he achieved another incredible milestone. In particular, Tatum tied the record for most consecutive 30+ road games in the Boston Celtic’s history with five.

Jayson Tatum etched his name into the Boston Celtics' record books Wednesday afternoon, becoming the youngest player in franchise history to obtain All-NBA status as he earned third-team honors.

Tatum is just the second Celtic to top 4,000 points before turning 23 (the other is Antoine Walker). He’s currently averaging 25 ppg. With 33 games between now and his birthday on March 4th, he could be close to 5,000.

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2021, 10:13:33 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Lol, I think you can be a little more honest here and admit that you have something against him for whatever reason. It just seems like you hold him to an entirely different standard than you hold players who don't play for us.

Some fans love certain players, while hating others. It is what it is. I can't stand watching Harden's game and make no qualms about it no matter what stats you throw at me. At least I'm upfront about it.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman