Author Topic: Celtics rotation vs Nets?  (Read 2362 times)

Re: Celtics rotation vs Nets?
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2021, 02:25:10 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
You put Tatum on KD and he will be riding the bench the entire series.

Tbh I would put TL on Durant.  Block a few of his rainbow jumpers and make him sweat a little

That would be awesome  ;D

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2021, 02:28:27 PM »

Offline Timdawgg

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 623

I hate to say it but I can see Grant playing a lot of minutes guarding KD.  He moves his feet well enough and probably better than Semi and stronger than Romeo.   I wouldn't be surprised to see Grant in the starting lineup...Anyone remember how he fared against the Nets this year...i know all games sucked but I wonder if he guarded KD at all.
A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals.

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds.

Larry Bird

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2021, 02:41:12 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

I hate to say it but I can see Grant playing a lot of minutes guarding KD.  He moves his feet well enough and probably better than Semi and stronger than Romeo.   I wouldn't be surprised to see Grant in the starting lineup...Anyone remember how he fared against the Nets this year...i know all games sucked but I wonder if he guarded KD at all.

KD would have Grant for lunch....  you must really dislike Grant to wish that on him lol

In all honesty,  KD would torch him. Either shoot over him or blow by him

Strength to offset someone like Durant doesn't work.  Like it would on Lebron

Langford or Nesmith to me gives the Celts the best chance to slow Durant.  Along with Tatum. 

Langford is quite an athlete and won't make it easy for Durant to get set/square up to shoot.    Also run with him and make him take tougher pullups or layups at the rim

Nesmith volatile energy may make Durant feel uneasy.  Crash the boards, dive on the floor etc. with Durant wanting no part of this

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2021, 02:41:19 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
obviously it depends on matchups, who's making shots and who'd defending their assignments well.

Pritchard is likely to get some run.  getting pulled from the Wash game doesn't mean the same will happen against the Nets although, if PP struggled against Beal and Westbrook, he's likely going to struggle against Kyrie and Harden
I think Pritchard got pulled last night not for his defense on Westbrook and Beal but because of his atrocious defense on Ish Smith. Ish isn't like Westbrook and Beal that are physically bigger, stronger and way more talented than Pritchard. Yet Smith turned Payton into a turnstile.

His defense has been the reason Pritchard has gotten pulled from a bunch of games this year. When he is that bad, he deserves to be pulled.

But as always, I think Brad will still go to Pritchard until he once again fails defensively. As long as Payton can be okay to good defensively and hit his open shots, I think Brad will give him his normal 17-21 MPG.

Exactly.  TP.

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2021, 02:42:59 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Romeo looked solid in 2nd half, especially on defensive end.  I expect him to get more minutes, and become part of the rotation. 

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2021, 02:50:41 PM »

Offline Rikibellevie

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 282
Tatum 42
Smart 42
Walker 36
Fournier 35
Thompson 40
Romeo 20
Nesmith 15 (Semi if eaten on defense ag KD or by fouls)
Grant  10 (as a small ball 5 until Rob comes back hopefully)

Exhausting but we don't have choice.It is already our final.
Kemba vs Kirie
Smart vs Harden
Tatum vs KD (ok for the risk of fouls, the opposite can be tell. He has to beat the master if we want to have a chance)
Fournier vs Harris

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2021, 03:11:38 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1436

Grant has no lateral quickness. At all.. He’s probably the second slowest on the team, behind Tacko. If that happens KD is going to average 40pts a game.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2021, 03:26:10 PM »

Offline nyceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31

Grant has no lateral quickness. At all.. He’s probably the second slowest on the team, behind Tacko. If that happens KD is going to average 40pts a game.

Since it is a given that the Celts are going to have their hands full and will have trouble guarding the Nets, does it not make sense to put Parker in the rotation?  I know he is horrendous defensively, but he is a big body and he is long and more importantly, he can put the ball in the hoop, which is more than I can say for 80% of our team.  If nothing else, he can make Brooklyn work on defense.  I don't understand why he is completely out of the rotation, but I think it is in Stevens' best interest to work Parker into the rotation.  Either that or Stevens has to pull a rabbit out of a hat (Tacko time?), because the status quo rotations will likely get Boston to an early exit.

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2021, 04:01:06 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

Pencil us in for a loss if he is playing small ball five.  They will murder us.

No rim protection either.  He does make an occasional good 50/50 play or garbage play but he rarely has calls go his way.

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2021, 04:02:10 PM »

Offline Rikibellevie

• Jaylen Brown

Since it is a given that the Celts are going to have their hands full and will have trouble guarding the Nets, does it not make sense to put Parker in the rotation?  I know he is horrendous defensively, but he is a big body and he is long and more importantly, he can put the ball in the hoop, which is more than I can say for 80% of our team.  If nothing else, he can make Brooklyn work on defense.  I don't understand why he is completely out of the rotation, but I think it is in Stevens' best interest to work Parker into the rotation.  Either that or Stevens has to pull a rabbit out of a hat (Tacko time?), because the status quo rotations will likely get Boston to an early exit.

Thank you very much, but you confuse passion and knowledge or feelings and intelligence.  ;D Even if both can lead to another.

Unfortunaley he may finish close or in the top 10 (New Orléans comes to mind), but, in the idea to continue to build with the draft he could become the perfect answer to repass tatum at 3, have the potential to give more tougnhess, versatility and swithcness at the wing. Maybe not the best complement of Tristan and Williams (unless Timelord can find a midrange shoot). Could also be a much more valuable small ball 5.

But I still think it is time for biggest mooves if available to fix the problems sooner... One or two biggest mooves have to involve this pick and maybe others. We can still find valuable players out of the draft, like Theis, Robinson, Nunn, Whiteside did.

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2021, 04:11:33 PM »

Offline Rikibellevie

• Jaylen Brown

Pencil us in for a loss if he is playing small ball five.  They will murder us.

There is no miracle solution. Beetwin him, Kornet or Parker (and I don't even talk about Tacko), he is still the best hope to be at least playable 10 minutes on full intensity. He still have the best BB IQ, even if didn't showed it all year. And sometimes he has his match at 3. But play Timelord only if there isn't any risk. Don't want break our RS begening next year.

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2021, 04:50:22 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I would expect

Starters

Walker
Smart
Fournier
Tatum
Thompson

Reserves

Pritchard
Nesmith
Grant
Semi
Rob (if he can go)

Maybe Romeo could get some run instead of Semi, if he holds his own on defense.

really?

Romeo from what it looks like, is already ahead of Semi and Grant

Did you see the job he did on Westbrook yesterday??

I'm going partly on looking at the box scores of the Nets vs Celts games from the regular season.  Romeo started one game but only played 19 minutes.  Semi also started a game.

We know Brad is going to continue to play Semi more minutes that pretty much anybody is hoping to see from Semi.  Probably same with Grant.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2021, 05:25:11 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Semi has played some good D in the past on Giannis.   When I say this it means we held to him to 30 points

There is no miracle solution.

I agree we don't have the ideal bench and have to pick our poison so to say...

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2021, 05:37:37 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

Per the NBA matchup stats, Grant guarded KD for roughly 3 possessions.  KD didn't score or record an assist, but the Nets score 8 points in those possessions.  In other words, too little info to take away much from, but there's no evidence Stevens would go to that matchup early.

Also, Semi only guarded KD two possessions.  Tatum had the most time against KD during the regular season.