Author Topic: Celtics (0-2) vs Lakers (2-0) Summer League Game #3 7/12/23  (Read 9197 times)

Re: Celtics (0-2) vs Lakers (2-0) Summer League Game #3 7/12/23
« Reply #60 on: July 13, 2023, 08:02:24 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Am I reading that right?  3-for-19 from Banton?   This is Brad's latest dumpster dive that he inexplicably gave two years of guaranteed money to? 

I didn't watch the game.  Fair to say that once again, Walsh and to a lesser extent Scrubb looked good, Davison was up and down, and everybody else was roster filler?

I believe I saw Banton has a team option year two.

That would certainly be better.  Right now spotrac has him guaranteed:

Dalano Banton signed a 2 year / $4,216,676 contract with the Boston Celtics, including $4,216,676 guaranteed,

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #61 on: July 13, 2023, 08:27:47 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Am I reading that right?  3-for-19 from Banton?   This is Brad's latest dumpster dive that he inexplicably gave two years of guaranteed money to? 

I didn't watch the game.  Fair to say that once again, Walsh and to a lesser extent Scrubb looked good, Davison was up and down, and everybody else was roster filler?

Dalano Banton signed a 2 year / $4,216,676 contract with the Boston Celtics, including $4,216,676 guaranteed,

It was originally reported as an option in year 2 by I think Brian Robb.  But no way I can go back and find that tweet.

As for 3-19 — maybe that’s correct, but it didn’t seem like a 3-19 game, if that makes sense.  He had a rough first quarter, and looked solid the rest of the game.  He drove to the rim a lot, drew a lot of attention and contact, and if we didn’t score on his shot we scored on an easy putback.  Mayhe he missed all of those shots — I think he started 0-8 — but the offense flowed well when he was the only PG in.  When he and Davison were in together during the 1st quarter, it didn’t go well, but when he was by himself for the second and a stretch at the end of the third/beginning of the fourth, the offense clicked, regardless of his shooting numbers.

« Reply #62 on: July 13, 2023, 08:33:47 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468
I think Walsh eventually is a more athletic version of grant. Gotta get his 3 point shooting percentage up but he can defend and works hard.

I honestly would not compare these two.  IMO they are completely different players.  Grant relies on strength on D.  He's also a much better shooter.

Walsh relies on length and quickness on D.  Both have great instincts and positioning but I think Walsh will be the better defender when he gets stronger.  Walsh may never be a good shooter.  Hopefully they can work on his shot.  I do think he's a much better passer then Grant on the move and has more drive to his game the Grant.

« Reply #63 on: July 13, 2023, 08:33:52 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

It was originally reported as an option in year 2 by I think Brian Robb.  But no way I can go back and find that tweet.

As for 3-19 — maybe that’s correct, but it didn’t seem like a 3-19 game, if that makes sense.  He had a rough first quarter, and looked solid the rest of the game.  He drove to the rim a lot, drew a lot of attention and contact, and if we didn’t score on his shot we scored on an easy putback.  Mayhe he missed all of those shots — I think he started 0-8 — but the offense flowed well when he was the only PG in.  When he and Davison were in together during the 1st quarter, it didn’t go well, but when he was by himself for the second and a stretch at the end of the third/beginning of the fourth, the offense clicked, regardless of his shooting numbers.

I'll have to trust you on this one.  And, I feel like summer league is essentially meaningless, in terms of big games mean very little (for guys who consistently seem overmatched in SL, I'm a bit more critical).  With that said, if I guy doesn't finish against SL players, and hasn't looked great in the NBA, I'll continue to be skeptical.

I just question the free agent approach,  as I've repeated ad nauseum.  Since he's here, though, hopefully he works out and adds something to the bottom of the roster.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #64 on: July 13, 2023, 08:34:46 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
If Jordan Walsh can be an immediate impact to our team, that would be tremendous.

Walsh will play a few minutes this year.  Either because of rest or injury.  His D will be the reason why he plays.  His shot really needs work. 

« Reply #65 on: July 13, 2023, 08:35:54 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

I agree with this assessment. He does have some intriguing skills, and worth taking a flyer on imo. As a 13-15th man on the roster why not. We need to find cheap talent at the back end of the roster that could potentially develop like the Heat have done.

Jordan Walsh had a nice game. He plays with great intensity, and he has more offensive skills than I had thought. Walsh, Brisset, and Hauser could be really solid wing depth.

« Reply #66 on: July 13, 2023, 08:35:57 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I think Walsh eventually is a more athletic version of grant. Gotta get his 3 point shooting percentage up but he can defend and works hard.

I honestly would not compare these two.  IMO they are completely different players.  Grant relies on strength on D.  He's also a much better shooter.

Walsh relies on length and quickness on D.  Both have great instincts and positioning but I think Walsh will be the better defender when he gets stronger.  Walsh may never be a good shooter.  Hopefully they can work on his shot.  I do think he's a much better passer then Grant on the move and has more drive to his game the Grant.

I'm on record as saying he reminded me of a pre-draft Jimmy Butler (i.e., a prospect who projected to be great at defense, but questionable offensively).  But when this kid starts making All-NBA teams, I'm taking all of the credit.

« Reply #67 on: July 13, 2023, 09:01:13 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He had a rough first quarter, and looked solid the rest of the game.  He drove to the rim a lot, drew a lot of attention and contact, and if we didn’t score on his shot we scored on an easy putback.  Mayhe he missed all of those shots — I think he started 0-8 — but the offense flowed well when he was the only PG in.  When he and Davison were in together during the 1st quarter, it didn’t go well, but when he was by himself for the second and a stretch at the end of the third/beginning of the fourth, the offense clicked, regardless of his shooting numbers

We need some guys who don't get discouraged when things do not go well and keep plugging away until they win.

His length is elite and he is a good athlete.   Skills can be developed.   That dedication to aggressive D and will to win is natural in this kid and those can't always be taught.    He has some nice intangibles.     I do think he may play this year.   

You can see he believes in himself.  Has anyone seen this clip aka the infamous Google me clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rE0T25xLbZ4

This to me demonstrates a level of confidence that a lot of people don't possess and that can be huge if one plays within his game

« Reply #68 on: July 13, 2023, 10:13:44 AM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1811
I like that Walsh is still only 19.  Didn't look good last night in the 1st quarter but looked good finishing out the game. 
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #69 on: July 13, 2023, 10:22:17 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
He had a rough first quarter, and looked solid the rest of the game.  He drove to the rim a lot, drew a lot of attention and contact, and if we didn’t score on his shot we scored on an easy putback.  Mayhe he missed all of those shots — I think he started 0-8 — but the offense flowed well when he was the only PG in.  When he and Davison were in together during the 1st quarter, it didn’t go well, but when he was by himself for the second and a stretch at the end of the third/beginning of the fourth, the offense clicked, regardless of his shooting numbers

We need some guys who don't get discouraged when things do not go well and keep plugging away until they win.

His length is elite and he is a good athlete.   Skills can be developed.   That dedication to aggressive D and will to win is natural in this kid and those can't always be taught.    He has some nice intangibles.     I do think he may play this year.   

You can see he believes in himself.  Has anyone seen this clip aka the infamous Google me clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rE0T25xLbZ4

This to me demonstrates a level of confidence that a lot of people don't possess and that can be huge if one plays within his game

The three players (Walsh, Brissett, Benton) that Brad brought in via FA or the draft all have the same thing in common.  They can absolutely play Defense and are long.  They also have one negative attribute in common is that they can't shoot a lick.  The only way these players can get PT is if they can develop enough to hit 38% of their 3's.  The only way they should be shooting is if wide open and until they start hitting 3's they will absolutely be wide open.  Otherwise they need to quickly move the ball and cut to the hoop.  If they can play within themselves they can absolutely fill a 8-10mpg role on this team to give our top 7 players a breather throughout the season.  The good thing is that they are all young and can still develop a bit.

« Reply #70 on: July 13, 2023, 10:36:02 AM »

Offline nebist

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 67
My big picture takeaways were that Walsh looks like a legit NBA player. Obviously, I’d pump the brakes on big expectations for a year 1 contribution, but he looks good enough to at least push Brissett for that 10th man swing rotation spot in our lineup. I’d assume those two will go back and forth a bit in terms of who gets more minutes depending on whose shot is falling. And down the line if he becomes a legit rotation guy for us that’s a big win.

Banton looks like a 3rd stringer for sure more than a rotation guy. But at least he’s young, very long, and looks like he has some instinctual decision-making skill with the ball, so there’s a bit of upside there if he can develop a mediocre shot. He looks ahead of Davison from what I’ve seen.

« Reply #71 on: July 13, 2023, 11:42:06 AM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I've been trying to watch some of the Celtics summer games, so I can see Jordan Walsh. I think he has a lot of potential.

However, I have to bring up last night's announcers, PJ Carlisimo and Beth Mowins. They do know they're announcing meaningless summer league games, right? They sounded dead serious as if the games mattered, and were even talking about summer league playoffs. Maybe it's me, but I don't care which team wins. I'm curious about the individual players in summer league, and their prospects of making the parent team. Talk about what skills they need to work on to make the next level.

« Reply #72 on: July 13, 2023, 05:01:48 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I'm on record as saying he reminded me of a pre-draft Jimmy Butler (i.e., a prospect who projected to be great at defense, but questionable offensively).  But when this kid starts making All-NBA teams, I'm taking all of the credit.
He's a bit Gerald Wallace for my mind. 1 season of largely mediocre play in college, but with obvious athletic tools. Similar dimensions athletically, both renowned defensively. More of a rebounder and less of a passer, similar to Wallace
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #73 on: July 13, 2023, 05:17:54 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412

He's a bit Gerald Wallace for my mind. 1 season of largely mediocre play in college, but with obvious athletic tools. Similar dimensions athletically, both renowned defensively. More of a rebounder and less of a passer, similar to Wallace

Plastic Man = Stacey Augmon

« Reply #74 on: July 13, 2023, 05:22:00 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 662
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Agree on the sentiment that Brad was looking for defensive versatility and length with the guys he brought in.