Author Topic: modest trade: salary relief plus improved pick with Indy and Dallas (idea)  (Read 3076 times)

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
This is not a blockbuster but it helps the C's financially going forward (I think, tell me if wrong)

https://tradenba.com/trades/QslXY1XEg

Celtic out:  Hayward, Langford, Ojeleye, C. Edwards, pick 26, pick 47.

Celtics in:  Turner, Hardaway Jr., Dorian F.S., pick 18

Pacers in:  Hayward, Langford, Kleber, pick 26

Pacers out:  Oladipo, Turner, McDermott

Dallas in:  Oladipo, McDermott, Ojeleye, C. Edwards, pick 47

Dallas out: Hardaway Jr., Kleber, Dorian F.S., pick 18

The C's get another center for their center collage.  Good cap relief I think.  defense via DFS.  Some  bench shooting via Hardaway Jr., and move up from pick 26 to 18.    What hurts is that Hayward is excellent when healthy, and Romeo is going to be very good imo. 

Dallas adds a third cog to Doncic and Porzingis, gives up pick 18 to get best player in deal....though one with some injury risk. 

Indy gets their rumored target and another Indiana phenom, parts with Oladipo who wants out supposedly, adds pick 26 in a solid draft in that range, which should please them as they have no first round pick.

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
How is this not a blockbuster? Shipping out Hayward is a blockbuster, imo. Then you have the Pacers trading away 2 of their top 3 players to boot.

- LilRip

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I prefer our guys to what is coming in.

I break the trade into two pieces:

(1) I take Hayward over M.Turner and Hardaway Jr
(2) And I take Romeo, Edwards, Semi & picks over Dorian & mid-first

Romeo is too valuable to give up without getting a better veteran back in return. Not a fan of Hardaway Jr so he is always going to be a tough sell for me. Replacing the high IQ Hayward with two low IQ players ... tough to see how that helps the team.

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25634
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I definitely prefer Oladipo over Hardaway.  We give up the best package, and Dallas ends up with the best player in the deal.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Can we not do any of them, sign Hayward on a decent long term deal and add quality role players to our core 5 via FA/trades (we can trade one of our 1sts + salary filler like Poirier/Kanter) while hoping that our youngsters and draft picks can develop into contributors for us next season?
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Can we not do any of them, sign Hayward on a decent long term deal and add quality role players to our core 5 via FA/trades (we can trade one of our 1sts + salary filler like Poirier/Kanter) while hoping that our youngsters and draft picks can develop into contributors for us next season?

Nope, haha.  We can’t just keep adding inexperienced pieces and assume they’ll get us over the hump.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Nope, haha.  We can’t just keep adding inexperienced pieces and assume they’ll get us over the hump.
To be fair I said that we can get our 7th-8th men through FA/trades and get the remaining 1-2 contributors for our 8-10 man rotation through the development of our young players/draft picks - with how some of our youngsters have shown flashes last season (eg. Grant, Robert, Langford) I don't think it's unrealistic to expect that one or two of them can make a leap into being a solid 8th or 9th man.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I'd much rather just do Hayward, Romeo, and our three firsts this year and get back Turner and Oladipo in return.

People are treating Oladipo like he's a negative contract. Just because he's been injured the last two years doesn't make that realistic. Obviously there are concerns about the injury and amount of contract going forward, but he is not washed up, negative goods.

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I'd much rather just do Hayward, Romeo, and our three firsts this year and get back Turner and Oladipo in return.

People are treating Oladipo like he's a negative contract. Just because he's been injured the last two years doesn't make that realistic. Obviously there are concerns about the injury and amount of contract going forward, but he is not washed up, negative goods.

I don’t know if I’d give up both Langford and the #14.  But basically I agree.  Oladipo is a Jimmy Butler level player who is still in his prime.  He’s taken a bit to regain health, but he should bounce back next season. 

Here’s the dream, in which Indy really likes Hayward:

https://tradenba.com/trades/xZqahcsrO

Add in the #14 and #30.

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93

I agree I want Oladipo - if we can trade Hayward and get Oladipo back in almost any configuration I want that to happen.  Including Turner would just be gravy.
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

Re: modest trade: salary relief plus improved pick with Indy and Dallas (idea)
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2020, 11:25:36 AM »

Offline Wretch

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
Hayward isn't going anywhere unless he asks to go. 

I think there will be some modest moves like Semi and Kanter (depending on his option) to somewhere. The Locked On Podcast talked about Portland being a potential landing spot since they need a defensive wing to counter KL and LB but don't need much on offense.  If I remember correctly they said the Blazers had a trade exception that could fit Semi.  It would probably be for a top 50 protected 2nd rounder.  The C's shed salary and might get a trade exception and depending on who the C's see as having more potential Edward or Waters could be moved in a similar deal. 

I still see the most likely "blockbuster" to be something like Smart (and filler) for Turner. I don't think that's likely because of DA and BS love of Smarts non box score impact on games but DA is a cold calculator when it comes to trades. If he thinks it improves the team he'll do it.

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2020, 11:26:38 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Yes Dallas snags Oladipo, but they are in the West, and it is a bit risky for them.

I think this one helps the C's a bit more than folks are suggesting.  Theis off the bench instead of starting, and at times playing next to Turner, is a solid improvement up front.  I do like Robert Williams but Brad has not deployed him yet...if this is the year he'll be deployed then yes this deal makes less sense.  But R Will is still quite young and there's no question our bigs picture would be improved.

Hardaway would expires after the season, he could be traded during the year...or kept, but probably not resigned, which where the cap relief part comes in.

DFS is a nice bench piece. 

Pick 18  can be added to 14 to move up.  Or kept, as there is very high quality in that range of guys who could step in, guys who won't be there at 26 (the pick Indy receives).  Future Kemba replacement in Lewis Jr. Future shooting spark plus defense in Maxey. High risk high reward Hampton. Offense spark Terry.  Even Nesmith or Saddiq Bey could be there at 18.  Or Danny could stash Poku.

This trade focuses our team on Kemba and the J's for offense among starters, while massively improving our almost league worst bench.  And adds financial flexibility. 

The above deal by PearlJammer that lands Oladipo and Turner is good if we know Oladipo will be healthy.  Though I think Indy snags too many picks in his deal.  They currently have zero first round picks.  They should do that deal and be happy to have our 26 and 30, since they are dealing with an a recently injury plagued player who has asked out.  Oladipo is, or has been very good, but Hayward, Romeo and 3 first rounders is too much for where's at right now in his career.

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2020, 01:27:59 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
So another Hayward out and Turner in trade with about the millionth new idea involving other parts?

Like others here I say keep Hayward, add some different support staff and go after the title that way. In a messed up season that could have half the off-season as normal the top teams that basically run it back will probably have the most success. Boston should try to be one of those teams, IMHO.

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2020, 10:05:55 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Modest should be like bench moves like GW and VP for Richaun Holmes.

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2020, 01:47:37 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
So another Hayward out and Turner in trade with about the millionth new idea involving other parts?

Like others here I say keep Hayward, add some different support staff and go after the title that way. In a messed up season that could have half the off-season as normal the top teams that basically run it back will probably have the most success. Boston should try to be one of those teams, IMHO.
^^^this
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA