Author Topic: Bill Walker looking good, Lester Hudson not a fan of D-League  (Read 20815 times)

Re: Bill Walker looking good, Lester Hudson not a fan of D-League
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2009, 02:59:27 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Too bad lester doesn't like the D-League because he and Giddens will soon be finding their way north to Portland once Tony Allen and Glen Davis are healthy.

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2009, 03:00:12 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Too bad lester doesn't like the D-League because he and Giddens will soon be finding their way north to Portland once Tony Allen and Glen Davis are healthy.

I wonder how long Walker stays.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2009, 03:06:36 PM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170

probably a long time. who's he gonna come up for? scal? tony? shelden? no, no, and no. people have been clamoring over bill walker's potential like he's "kedrick brown 2009 redux". i think it's pretty telling that despite how much people belly-ache over giddens he's still above walker in the depth chart and that began BEFORE walker got hurt.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2009, 03:08:17 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Guess....until someone gets hurt or there is a trade.

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2009, 03:13:07 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

probably a long time. who's he gonna come up for? scal? tony? shelden? no, no, and no. people have been clamoring over bill walker's potential like he's "kedrick brown 2009 redux". i think it's pretty telling that despite how much people belly-ache over giddens he's still above walker in the depth chart and that began BEFORE walker got hurt.

Did it? I don't remember that. EDIT: As in Giddens hopping walker on the depth chart.

Guess....until someone gets hurt or there is a trade.

I've been seeing people say that Walker was down there to rehab, but how much more rehabbing can he even do?

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2009, 03:29:51 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Lester doesn't want to go to the D-League, and is saying that out loud?  Let's face it:  He's lucky to be in the NBA.  I hope he knows that.  He's lucky to have even been drafted.  And then to be actually signed, and paid, too...gosh.

The NBA ain't a bad living, regardless of where a person is on the depth chart, what team, whether starting or subbing, etc. etc.  That's what makes my blood boil over crap like A.I. crying over starting, or Spreewell trying to feed his family (they must be a bit 'husky', eh?).

The last thing I want to hear is a freakin' rookie saying they don't want to go to the D-League for a bit to get some run, and the first thing I would do after hearing that is put him on a bus.

Lots of comments on his age/maturity.  He will hopefully learn how to express himself positively:  "I love being with the Celtics and learning from these great players in practice.  I hope I get to stay here all year, but if Doc and Danny think it would be best for me to go to Portland, then I trust their judgement."

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2009, 04:47:23 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
Meh, sounds like Hudson answered the question honestly; he'll do what they want him to do, but would rather be in Boston.  Duh!

As to Walker, is he just down there because he missed so much of camp?  He never got a chance to practice as much or to get into any of the preseason games; isn't this just basically extended spring training for him?

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2009, 04:55:10 PM »

Offline scoop

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
Isn't there some limit for the number of players that a NBA team can assign to its D-League affiliated? I'm not sure, I thought there was and it was 2. Maybe that changed.

The NBA teams have little time to practice. Hudson should be happy to go and play in the D-League.

More than 20% of the current NBA players are former D-Leaguers.

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2009, 05:38:41 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I wasn't impressed with what I saw from Bill Walker in summer league. He looked a long ways away from being a rotation worthy player in the NBA.

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2009, 05:49:38 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Pretty misleading statement given that close to 30% of NBA players aren't good enough to make NBA rotations and get regular playing time.

Also, if there were no D-League somewhere between 14-20% of all NBA players would be inactive to play every night.

« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2009, 06:00:07 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

Pretty misleading statement given that close to 30% of NBA players aren't good enough to make NBA rotations and get regular playing time.

Also, if there were no D-League somewhere between 14-20% of all NBA players would be inactive to play every night.

Nonetheless it's still a higher number than I would have thought.
Yup

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2009, 06:30:32 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85

I'm pretty sure I disagree with this. Walker has been ahead of Giddens on the depth chart since the first practice of their rookie year.

« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2009, 06:42:34 PM »

Offline NextCeltic34

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
Kind of sad Doc won't give the young guys a chance at all.

« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2009, 06:59:38 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
No...what is sad is that they aren't good enough to earn time on this team. Rondo, Baby, Leon, Perk and others all eventually earned time and played. The youngsters we have now just aren't good enough to crack the rotation, it has nothing to do with Doc giving them a chance or not.

« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2009, 07:46:55 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
No...what is sad is that they aren't good enough to earn time on this team. Rondo, Baby, Leon, Perk and others all eventually earned time and played. The youngsters we have now just aren't good enough to crack the rotation, it has nothing to do with Doc giving them a chance or not.

None of those guys really played in their first season, with the potential exception for Rondo at the second half of his rookie season. I would have expected Bill Walker to get some pretty decent minutes, but then he got injured. Giddens just isn't good enough to be in there, I think Bill might be. Lester, despite his age is still a rookie and thus won't play much for Doc this season.

I think it was meantioned that Walker is in Portland to get into gameshape, and he'll certainly do that playing 40 ish minutes a night. I don't expect him to be down there long, and when he comes up Giddens will go down for most of the season.