Author Topic: Cruel realism  (Read 3207 times)

Re: Cruel realism
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2016, 07:11:33 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I try to stay as much away from confrontations in the forums as possible, but if you think the Cavs won this title because of injuries you are deluding yourself.

"The Cavs won because of injuries" is not a fair reading of what I said.

"A Cavs victory was made possible by a key injury to the MVP of the league" is a fair reading of what I said.

Most title teams depend on some sort of luck to get to the finish line.

If Curry was playing at his regular season, pre-knee-injury level, I don't believe the Cavs would have been in a position to hit a shot in the last two minutes to win Game 7 on the road.

Call me deluded, if you like.

That's not the same thing as "injuries are why the Cavs won."  The Cavs needed an all-time performance over a full seven games from one of the greatest players ever, and they needed Kyrie to play the best 3-4 games of his life.  They 100% earned their title. 

At the same time, Curry was not the same player after his injury.  His game inside of the arc was completely gutted, whereas before the injury he was one of the most dangerous finishers in the restricted area in the league.

Plus, there was the Draymond suspension (which he 100% earned and LeBron helped to make happen).

All of that is to say, all teams are beatable, no matter how stacked.  But the 73 win Warriors, with Barnes and Bogut and no Durant, were formidable enough that it took a significant injury to Curry and a timely Draymond suspension to open the door.  Even then, with the Cavs playing a phenomenal series, it was all tied up with about two minutes left in the season.  The teams had scored the exact same number of points over the entire series to that point.  That's how close it was.

The Warriors were the better team, but the Cavs were pretty close, especially in the playoffs.  That, plus some key injuries, a suspension, and some timely shots, were enough to get them the title in seven games.

The point is, the Warriors will probably be better, and certainly more talented, next season.  That means the margin for error will be even smaller, and the need for good fortune to beat them, will be even greater.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2016, 07:41:23 PM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62
This way of thinking negates the impact of good coaching. I'll take our chances with Brad Stevens leading a legitimate contending team against any team in the history of basketball!!!

« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2016, 07:57:38 PM »

Offline BigDogPitbull

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 29
Why even watch the games?  The Celtics shouldn't even play until Lebron retires I guess.  That's not really a winner's mentality.