Poll

Does Taco make the team

Yes. Taco time is here to stay.
92 (61.7%)
No. No room for Tacos
57 (38.3%)

Total Members Voted: 149

Author Topic: Poll: Does Tacko make the 15 man roster this year  (Read 61402 times)

Re: Poll: Does Tacko make the 15 man roster this year
« Reply #345 on: September 19, 2019, 04:12:00 PM »

Offline Greenback

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 63
  • Take away love and the earth is a tomb. ~ Browning
As much as Taco is a good person, and is certainly a freak of nature being 7 foot 7 and all, strength has a part in every sport. I was shocked to hear that Taco couldn't even bench press the bar in workouts. I understand that having arms that long presents a disadvantage. But still, how he'll move a Lebron and other more balanced bigs around in the paint in an NBA game is a mystery.

Where did you hear that?   That sounds dubious to me.   At the NBA Draft Combine, he managed 8 repetitions in the bench press test.   That's not elite like Grant-I-did-20-Williams, but it's fairly middle-of-the-road.  14 players all posted between 7 and 9 repetitions, including several other centers and PFs.

Is it more difficult to bench press with long arms or short arms?
Everyone wants truth on his side, not everyone wants to be on the side of truth.

« Reply #346 on: September 19, 2019, 04:39:51 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
As much as Taco is a good person, and is certainly a freak of nature being 7 foot 7 and all, strength has a part in every sport. I was shocked to hear that Taco couldn't even bench press the bar in workouts. I understand that having arms that long presents a disadvantage. But still, how he'll move a Lebron and other more balanced bigs around in the paint in an NBA game is a mystery.

Where did you hear that?   That sounds dubious to me.   At the NBA Draft Combine, he managed 8 repetitions in the bench press test.   That's not elite like Grant-I-did-20-Williams, but it's fairly middle-of-the-road.  14 players all posted between 7 and 9 repetitions, including several other centers and PFs.

To complete a bench press, you must extend your arms all the way. Simple physics dictates that all other things being equal, it would require more force to move the same weight a longer distance. So I imagine bench pressing the same weight, people with shorter arms have to exert less force to complete the press as compared to people with longer arms because they are moving the weight a shorter distance. So I guess having longer arms makes it more difficult??? Not sure but that seems to make sense to me.

« Reply #347 on: September 19, 2019, 05:20:14 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586

Ya let's straighten this out.

Tacko did 8 reps at the combine

And that's not "just the bar" that's 185lbs.  The bar weighs 45lbs.  So bar + two 45lb plates + two 25lbs plates.

For some historical perspective:
Kawhi did 3
Dwight Howard did 7
Al Jefferson did 3
LaMarcus Aldridge did 8
DeAndre Jordan did 8
Larry Sanders did 7
Nikola Vucevic did 8
Rudy Gobert did 7

While a guy like Steph Curry did 10 and Isaiah Thomas did 13, but Avery Bradley only did 2, so who knows.

Interestingly enough, several former C's top the list for their particular year: JR Bremer (24), Brandon Hunter (25, was actually 2nd), Luke Harangody (23), Jae Crowder (20), Semi Ojelye (19), Grant Williams (20).

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #348 on: September 19, 2019, 08:04:16 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961

To complete a bench press, you must extend your arms all the way. Simple physics dictates that all other things being equal, it would require more force to move the same weight a longer distance. So I imagine bench pressing the same weight, people with shorter arms have to exert less force to complete the press as compared to people with longer arms because they are moving the weight a shorter distance. So I guess having longer arms makes it more difficult??? Not sure but that seems to make sense to me.

thats a good point , Tako ONE bench press would cover the distance of Three times futher than i have to lift it .   LOL  ;D

« Reply #349 on: September 19, 2019, 10:05:43 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
You can't deny a 75% shooter.

He might go to Maine, but only on one of those contracts where they can't lose him.

« Reply #350 on: September 20, 2019, 09:17:14 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Ya let's straighten this out.

Tacko did 8 reps at the combine

And that's not "just the bar" that's 185lbs.  The bar weighs 45lbs.  So bar + two 45lb plates + two 25lbs plates.

For some historical perspective:
Kawhi did 3
Dwight Howard did 7
Al Jefferson did 3
LaMarcus Aldridge did 8
DeAndre Jordan did 8
Larry Sanders did 7
Nikola Vucevic did 8
Rudy Gobert did 7

It is definitely weak for a man his age and size.   But a lot of ball players are not strong.  Even guys like Smart and Grant are not really elite strong but strong for basketball players.   I can say this because when I was 23 I did 225 lbs 32 times and I was 6'7"  so not short but not as tall as these guys and I only had a 6'11" wingspan but your right it is a way easier for guys with short arms to lift the BP.    But a bigger guy can also do it sometimes, a lot of NFL linemen do the range that I did.   I clearly picked the wrong sport to play....

« Reply #351 on: September 20, 2019, 09:44:36 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

thats a good point , Tako ONE bench press would cover the distance of Three times futher than i have to lift it .   LOL  ;D

so if his length is 3 times that of the average person one of his presses is worth 3 so he actually did 24 presses?

« Reply #352 on: September 20, 2019, 10:17:51 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150

so if his length is 3 times that of the average person one of his presses is worth 3 so he actually did 24 presses?

You  might want to ask Brandon Goodwin what it's like to mess with Tacko. One collision with him sent Brandon to the bench. I'm sure he'll remember Tacko for a long time. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRi80QoTWXY

« Reply #353 on: September 21, 2019, 01:29:03 AM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164

Yes, and it gets worse. The elbow joint has a greater range of motion with a longer arm; the triceps are not just moving the weight farther, but working against gravity for longer.

Tacko's strength issue has more to do with his lower body and core strength than his triceps, though. And he's also got a high center of gravity, which is not something that you can correct in the weight room; there were several factors involved in his getting moved around in Summer League.

I thought that his anticipation was actually pretty good. He runs the floor, which is kind of an awesome sight, and was beating people up the floor. But quickness is an issue - he's got a lot of leg to move. Wasn't very often in a defensive stance in SL; ironically, one of the few times he was isoed, in the Denver game, he showed some good step/slide action in a great-looking stance - but got scored on anyway. Saw him sometimes bending at the waist instead of with bent knees, a bad habit that'll get him benched.

Really good joints for a big, especially for one as giant as he is. Definitely not a stiff. Most guys that big get foot problems; but he might be the exception: most guys that big don't have his joints - so smooth.

I think he's an NBA player.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 01:35:23 AM by Hoopvortex »
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #354 on: September 21, 2019, 02:33:08 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Yes, and it gets worse. The elbow joint has a greater range of motion with a longer arm; the triceps are not just moving the weight farther, but working against gravity for longer.

Tacko's strength issue has more to do with his lower body and core strength than his triceps, though. And he's also got a high center of gravity, which is not something that you can correct in the weight room; there were several factors involved in his getting moved around in Summer League.

I thought that his anticipation was actually pretty good. He runs the floor, which is kind of an awesome sight, and was beating people up the floor. But quickness is an issue - he's got a lot of leg to move. Wasn't very often in a defensive stance in SL; ironically, one of the few times he was isoed, in the Denver game, he showed some good step/slide action in a great-looking stance - but got scored on anyway. Saw him sometimes bending at the waist instead of with bent knees, a bad habit that'll get him benched.

Really good joints for a big, especially for one as giant as he is. Definitely not a stiff. Most guys that big get foot problems; but he might be the exception: most guys that big don't have his joints - so smooth.

I think he's an NBA player.
You're spot on regarding Tacko's joints. He's definitely not a stiff-it absolutely befuddles me when people label him as an immobile tower who can be easily run off the floor.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #355 on: September 21, 2019, 07:30:09 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
It s because people take into account the requirements of the modern NBA and you compare him to Mark Eaton and Bryant Reeves.

« Reply #356 on: September 21, 2019, 09:45:25 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
It s because people take into account the requirements of the modern NBA and you compare him to Mark Eaton and Bryant Reeves.
Not very familiar with Bryant Reeves, but Mark Eaton was a pretty amazing defender (he buoyed an elite Jazz defense that fell off to average without him). If Tacko Fall becomes a guy like Eaton he'd be a pretty valuable piece (eg. a backup center who could be immensely useful in some matchups), even in the modern NBA.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #357 on: September 21, 2019, 10:33:49 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Not very familiar with Bryant Reeves, but Mark Eaton was a pretty amazing defender (he buoyed an elite Jazz defense that fell off to average without him). If Tacko Fall becomes a guy like Eaton he'd be a pretty valuable piece (eg. a backup center who could be immensely useful in some matchups), even in the modern NBA.

You are missing the point and you clearly have a wrong understanding of modern NBA

« Reply #358 on: September 21, 2019, 10:48:19 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Mark Eaton would have huge problems staying on the court in 2020. The guy could do little else but guard big men near the basket and seat away shots from dopes that drove it towards him.

You see, the entire point of the game in those days was predicated on getting as close to the basket to shoot as possible, so the nature of the game drove everything inside at him, so his defense was great.

But, in a game with a ton pick n roll basketball aimed at creating space and looking for the best wide open shot, many of which are threes, in a game that doesn't allow big men to just sit under the basket waiting for teams to take the ball at him, in a game that would require Eaton to move quickly all around the inside of the 3 point arc while needing to guard bigs on the perimeter, in a game that loves to switch and create mismatches, Eaton would find it difficult to cut out a role in today's NBA.

« Reply #359 on: September 21, 2019, 11:21:44 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Mark Eaton would have huge problems staying on the court in 2020. The guy could do little else but guard big men near the basket and seat away shots from dopes that drove it towards him.

You see, the entire point of the game in those days was predicated on getting as close to the basket to shoot as possible, so the nature of the game drove everything inside at him, so his defense was great.

But, in a game with a ton pick n roll basketball aimed at creating space and looking for the best wide open shot, many of which are threes, in a game that doesn't allow big men to just sit under the basket waiting for teams to take the ball at him, in a game that would require Eaton to move quickly all around the inside of the 3 point arc while needing to guard bigs on the perimeter, in a game that loves to switch and create mismatches, Eaton would find it difficult to cut out a role in today's NBA.
Hence I said a situational role player who can be useful in certain matchups, not a starting center.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA